What's new

General Cycling Questions

Good points. :thumbup:

Also, you have to know what gear is going to be even get to the climb. It's like before any race I would take a tour of the terrain to know where I plan on being and at what speed. 12-25 cassette are the all around mix and is meant for some pretty good climbing so if you hit your climb at too low of cadence you are going to have problems of the chain slipping to far or even getting caught.

If your cadence is too high or too low you are going to have problems. Practice standing for a few strokes to get your cadence to where it needs to be before shifting. Also shift on the cassette first before going down from your big ring to your small ring.

I am going to ride tomorrow, hopefully a nice long one :thumbup: My chain came off the day before yesterday and I was mad as hell. I had already climbed the hill and had been on flat ground for about 50ft. My Celeste paint is now Celeste with a dash of black. :angry: Thankfully it did not chip off my paint I would have been a little more than upset.

I am going to ride tomorrow, hopefully a nice long one :thumbup: My chain came off the day before yesterday and I was mad as hell. I had already climbed the hill and had been on flat ground for about 50ft. My Celeste paint is now Celeste with a dash of black. :angry: Thankfully it did not chip off my paint I would have been a little more than upset.

Wendy, I'm far from the expert here, but my bike had a break in period. It took a few hundred miles to really settle in and then I never had an issues with my chain coming off or any gears and my road bike is a lot lower level than yours. It could just take a bit of time. But still take advantage of those free check ups at the LBS, they're free after all. :001_smile

I've only ever lost one chain, happened when I jumped a curb on my track bike and I found my self skidding on the pavement not being able to move the pedals or wheel, until I landed on my hip.

Also tomorrow I start working as a volunteer mechanic at a bike co-op I miss simple problems with simple solutions but I hate hippies... I will either be very happy at the end of my shift or I will have forced some one to cut off their dreads... wish me luck.

Also tomorrow I start working as a volunteer mechanic at a bike co-op I miss simple problems with simple solutions but I hate hippies... I will either be very happy at the end of my shift or I will have forced some one to cut off their dreads... wish me luck.

Show them a bar of soap and see them run:001_tongu

Sounds like either one of those is a win to me. :001_smile

Wendy, I'm far from the expert here, but my bike had a break in period. It took a few hundred miles to really settle in and then I never had an issues with my chain coming off or any gears and my road bike is a lot lower level than yours. It could just take a bit of time. But still take advantage of those free check ups at the LBS, they're free after all. :001_smile

I am hoping that is all it was. I did take it in today and he made some minor adjustments. I did not get to ride that bike today since I had the kiddos with me. Tomorrow I will give it another shot. If it happens again the LBS said they would start from scratch and get it right.

I am hoping that is all it was. I did take it in today and he made some minor adjustments. I did not get to ride that bike today since I had the kiddos with me. Tomorrow I will give it another shot. If it happens again the LBS said they would start from scratch and get it right.

Hope it works out well for you Wendy and soon. :001_smile

It went well, fixed some bikes, no stinky hippies, delt with one stupid french bike and left dirty and feelin good.

My bike is fixed : ) YEAH.

Now for a question. I am curious about century rides. I received a postcard yesterday for a century ride for Leukemia & Lymphoma society. I know I could ride 100 miles on the road if it were not treacherous. Can anyone tell me from experience are these mostly side roads with major hills? The pamphlet shows nothing but people climbing hills. I can do that but no way 100 miles. I was dead Sunday after I completed 40 miles. Only 28-29 of those were hard miles with horrible hills.

Now for a question. I am curious about century rides. I received a postcard yesterday for a century ride for Leukemia & Lymphoma society. I know I could ride 100 miles on the road if it were not treacherous. Can anyone tell me from experience are these mostly side roads with major hills? The pamphlet shows nothing but people climbing hills. I can do that but no way 100 miles. I was dead Sunday after I completed 40 miles. Only 28-29 of those were hard miles with horrible hills.

It depends on what ride you would do. I did a ride with my wife a few years ago and it was undulating, nothing major. Personally I'd rather be climbing my rear off:001_tt2:.

Check out Competitor. They have major races listed and some throughout the country where you can find a race near by.

If your bike fits and your in shape distance shouldn't be a problem, speed and climbs on the other hand, those wear you down.

I've done a few centuries and they do vary greatly in difficulty, you should definitely expect at least one or two hard climbs and a few rolling hills, more if you live in a mountainous area. Around 30+ miles of climbing sounds right for a century.

If your not sure you can ride it, try a test ride of the rout with some one with a car near by so if you bonk you can get driven back.

Like all things on the bike the only way to know is to load up on your slow carbs, slip on your kit, jump in the saddle and ride it hard as you can and sprint for the finish like there is a pack of dogs on your heels.

When you go for it just find a pack that fits your pace and ability, get on some ones wheel and share the work, if your tired hold the back of the pack up the climbs. Riding alone is always harder then with a group so if you get dropped by your pack slow it up and catch the next one.

And flat rides blow. Using the same muscle group is more painful and boring. Find races with hills because you can recover on the way down. Climbing is an art that needs practice as well as fitness.

Sit back in the saddle. Stick with 12-25 cassettes. Keep knees as close together as possible. Don't sway or rock on the saddle. And most importantly is to keep a straight line, you waste more energy if yous start veering off course and then become inefficient.

I love century rides: the challenge, scenery, travel, riding alone or with groups, meeting people along the way - it makes for a great day. Until you do it, you don't know if you can. Finishing a century is a huge rush. On a particularly difficult one a friend asked, "What are you going to do alone for 14 hours?" To which I replied, "Embrace my insanity." So, you know, take the following with a few grains of salt...

Okay, to your questions: Each organized century should have a ride profile on it's site or pamplet. You can look at the map and match it up to Google Earth to check elevation gain too. I've been on centuries that were mostly side roads and a favorite that they close highways for. Since century rides tend to be loops or out and backs, any hills you climb mean descents later.

Go to Bicycling Mag or website (I'm getting that deja vu feeling) and check out their century training plan. Follow it, and in 10-16 weeks you'll be ready (depending on your base fitness level). Good luck!

I guess I need more info on the particular ride I am looking at. It is in September. I do not want to be on flat ground by any means but I can not climb 50 miles either. Heck I need to get a real seat I like on my bike before I can add distance. My tail hurts.

I guess I need more info on the particular ride I am looking at. It is in September. I do not want to be on flat ground by any means but I can not climb 50 miles either. Heck I need to get a real seat I like on my bike before I can add distance. My tail hurts.

You should be more then ready by september with reasonable training.

If any part of your bike is hurting you after 40ish miles you want to fix that before you go out for 100ish or you will not be in for a fun time. I remember my first century, pain started around 50 miles at the meeting of my body and saddle, my bits went numb around the 60 mile mark, when I finished I was really relived not to find any blood in my bib shorts.

I tried to really pay attention today on my route. I think I am safe saying that 45-50% of the ride is hills. So I guess 40-50% hills would not be too bad. But I could not do my route 5 times in the shape I am in now. I definitely need time.

I tried to really pay attention today on my route. I think I am safe saying that 45-50% of the ride is hills. So I guess 40-50% hills would not be too bad. But I could not do my route 5 times in the shape I am in now. I definitely need time.

One thing I always suggest to anyone doing any kind of cycling, triathlons, swimming or running is to have their lactic acid and heart rate tested. You can really make improvements on your training when one knows where their limits are. Just because your legs begin to burn doesn't mean that you can not continue.

Keep working at it and you'll be flying over hills.

Top Bottom