What's new

Formula 1 2013 Season Thread

Ya, Grosjean and Massa both did surprisingly well. Though I hope Daniel won't be inheriting Mark's luck, along with his seat.

Great track, it's sad to see it go - but easy to see why.

$T10.jpg
This is during the warm up as the cars are coming to the grid.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Bill Parcells used to say that you're as good or bad as your record says you are. Say what you will about Sebastian Vettel, who unquestionably still has some growing up to do, his accomplshments to date have been nothing short of miraculous.

Amongst the criticisms levied against him are:
1) He's boring. Fans, myself included, may love the furious midfield dicing in a good race, but staying ahead of the pack isn't as easy as it sounds, and you can't deny the pace has has been able to keep.
2) He has an unfair advantage with his car. The bottom line is that the sport has a formula that is the same for all of the teams, and it's the job of the constructors to provide a better car than their competitors. I wouldn't exactly descibe Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren as paupers. Winning a single race is impressive; putting together four straight title runs is remarkable.
3) He's a dirty lousy cheater. It's a very competitive and demanding sport whose participants are driven by an almost psychopathic will to win. Senna and Schumacher, two of the sport's most successful drivers, were among the dirtiest rat bastards to ever take the wheel yet are routinely praised.

I was too young to see DiMaggio and Williams in their prime, or Jim Brown or Sugar Ray Robinson. But I did get to enjoy the entire careers of Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Muhmammad Ali, et al, and I knew at the time that I was watching something very special. Vettel is in a position to obliterate some of the sport's most cherished records, and love him or hate him that doesn't happen without considerable talent.

Now who is going to knock this bum off his perch in 2014?

Now who is going to knock this bum off his perch in 2014?

That is the question. With all the changes coming to the cars the first half of the season really is a toss up. Second half, expect to see the money teams pulling well ahead. RB, Ferrari, McLaren, Merc. But that's all speculation, we'll see what happens when it happens.

Back to Vettel. The two things he has going against him are:
1. His lack of charisma
2. We are living the tail end of the MS era

He hasn't captured the fans. And the fact that he is making and breaking records set by names like MS and Senna grind on those fans. Also, if you don't care about the records, you would still rather see Kimi win. Whatever he does, he can't do right.

The good news for him is that time heals wounds. Once he stops racing, he will be remembered as the greatest to ever do it. Stats outlive feelings.

If you have seen this, it's hard to argue that he does have a sense of humour:

I guess he is just very focused and driven during the GP weekends (as a champion should be).

No one ever became champion without a good car but he did prove he can win in a Torro Rosso in the wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
And this:

I love the part about the way his dad reduced the turning circle in his first cart course.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom line is that while folks may not like him, he is the best driver, and he's got the best car (one that was designed with his strengths and driving style in mind). I think one of the reasons he's so unpopular is because he drives for Red Bull. Having a team owned by an energy drink company absolutely dominate the sport is off putting for some, I think. If Vettel were wearing Ferrari red, everyone would be calling him the heir to Schumacher.

Well no one knows if he's the best driver. People don't like and revere Senna because he won three world championships. They like him because he could take an inferior McLaren and make the significantly better Williams have to fight for each and every win. It's not about the stats, as much as everyone says it is. When Vettel's not in the best car (by far) and not making mistakes, and challenging for wins, then we can assess where he ranks. If Alonso had been driving RB for the past four years he would have 6 titles.

What a dominant race that was from Seb once again.

In this form, no one will remotely be a threat to him in the next two races.

I do hope the the new rules will shake up the order a bit next season.

What I find fascinating is, we are potentially witnessing two of the best drivers of all time ( Vettel and Jimmy Johnson ) and they're almost the same person, as far as perception from some of the fans of the sport.

I was in Abu Dhabi for the F1 last weekend and want to say two things: firstly, Yas Marina is a great venue. I have been to Silverstone, Magny-Cours, Sepang and (of course) Singapore, but this place knocks spots off the rest for organisation, facilities and glorious weather. Secondly, and I say this as a non-Vettel fan, it was an imperious drive. He was taking a second a lap off everyone at one stage - Webber is no slouch, but in supposedly similar machinery, he was nowhere. I hope next season the new regs mix things up a bit, but this season, got to be impressed by Vettel's performances. Damn him.

$IMG_0149.jpg

I am not sure why my wife keeps taking pictures of fat blokes, but here is one in the way of a nice view of the track from our seats during quali.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I agree that Yas Marina may be the nicest course anywhere. COTA ain't too shabby, though.

Top Bottom