What's new

Formula 1 2013 Season Thread

Oh wow, again, Sebastian was out of reach after couple of laps. So much for Grosjean slowing him down; and he was right behind Vettel on the starting grid. Catch the wind...

As for Kimi, I read somewhere Lotus is having financial problems and were unable to pay the drivers for couple of months now. No base salary, no bonuses, nothing.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Aside from the usual Vettel-led snoozefest, there was some pretty good late race action. Poor Mark Webber again. After his usual horrible start, he was in a nice charge when the car crapped out on him. Ten position penalty for his lift from Alonso, to boot.

Now it's become de rigueur to boo Vettel, but even a fine driver like Webber can't keep up with him in an ostensibly identical car. It seems no one can break his current stranglehold, so Ferrari may be banking on fielding two furious drivers who will push all race coupled with the major rules changes for next season as their main hope.

I hope the "track limits" rule will be tweaked to be a bit more tolerant when it concerns the outside of the corner or drivers are being forced off by an overtaker.

Hulkenberg should not have been requested to let Perez pass in my opinion. Perez was comited to run him off, I doubt lifting would have prevented a crash as Perez was behind him during the entire incident.

Sure, the white line should be interpreted as a wall but does that Hulk needed to let Perez run into him just to make a point?

It was Nico's spatial awareness that allowed both cars to survive this.

Rules should encourage fair racing, not running people of the road.

Mark's luck is second only to Lewis's.

F1 has become a nanny state partly because of the layout of the tracks; these days it's faster in many cases to leave the track. Used to be if you left the track, the track would punish you, not the stewards. We need a system where leaving the white lines will likely end up slowing you down, wreaking your tires, whatever - without compromising safety. Then let the drivers take the risk if they want.

There are too many nitpicking punishments handed out and the penalty system starting next year is even more daft. I agree that guys like Grosjean and Maldonado need something to keep them in line, but not what they have come up with. Mark's penalty does not fit the crime (was there a crime?) and the new system will be even worse for this kind of misapplication.

Looking forwards to next year already - this season is over.

Best part of the race for me-

Ted: "Look how thick Esteban Gutiérrez's neck is. It gets thicker and thicker every race ... Hi Esteban, how are you?"

And unfortunate for Esteban that he had tire wear issues, actually, uh, why he couldn't convert his, uh, his ... thick neck!

Uh, he couldn't convert his position in qualifying into ...Oh! Maybe it's just a small head. I hadn't thought of that Bob. Maybe he's just got an unbordinately small head, very thick neck.
"

Last edited:
I agree Mark's penalty is a bit over the top. It just seems silly.

I saw that NJ is on the schedule for 2014. Hopefully it works out and that Herman Tilke doesn't get involved. All the newer tracks look alike.

I agree Mark's penalty is a bit over the top. It just seems silly.

I saw that NJ is on the schedule for 2014. Hopefully it works out and that Herman Tilke doesn't get involved. All the newer tracks look alike.

I am cautiously optimistic about the NJ race happening next year. The proposed course (entirely public roads), is minutes from my apartment. It'll have some pretty drastic changes in altitude, and some long straights where they expect to top 200mph. Tickets will be very expensive, but I'm hoping I can somehow snag a few and be able to go.

Yes, let's hope a change of location lets F1 get a strong foothold in the US. Austin is a great track so I hope it continues to draw the crowds too.

ouch

I am cautiously optimistic about the NJ race happening next year. The proposed course (entirely public roads), is minutes from my apartment. It'll have some pretty drastic changes in altitude, and some long straights where they expect to top 200mph. Tickets will be very expensive, but I'm hoping I can somehow snag a few and be able to go.

Having driven that route numerous times on the way to Mitsuwa market, I can't wait for it. It would be too good to be true, so I have my doubts.

ouch

Runner ups in the Ouch Grid Girl contest, where everone's a winner.

$Korean-babes_3014827.jpg

Despite the predictable result, that was certainly an exciting race! Very happy for and impressed with Nico Hulkenberg, able to keep Hamilton and Alonso at bay to take 4th. Lotus would be crazy not to bring him on to replace Kimi.

After quali, my wife joked that Webber should have torched his car a lot earlier.:laugh:

What a start from Grosjean, he has come a long way this year.

It does seem quite odd that as soon as Kimi signed at Ferrari, he lost the upper hand at Lotus.

It does seem quite odd that as soon as Kimi signed at Ferrari, he lost the upper hand at Lotus.

All of the good bits go to the driver that has the commitment to the team. Grosjean has always been a fast driver, he did need some time to adjust to driving in F1 and develop the special awareness that is required. Personally, I hope Lotus keeps him and fields an equal car for the other driver be it Hulkenberg or whoever.

ouch

I know this is a bit late, but we would be remiss in failing to acknowledge the passing of Maria de Villota, who suffered that horrible testing crash last year.

Congratulations to Seb for grabbing his fourth title in style.

What a race from Grosjean, I really did not expect him to be capable of this half a year ago.

Top Bottom