What's new

EIGHTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2017 Edition

Hi,

I was doing a little spring cleaning a couple days ago and found an old, rotten, Dopp Kit buried under my sink. Nothing in it, and it was the one I used in the early 80s. Oh. Wait. There is one thing in it: a dispenser of Schick Plus Platinum blades.

So, I began a One Blade May run with one this morning. :)

I won't be reporting here daily like I would if it were Feb 1st. But, I will report when I think it is done. I also don't know how many blades are in this pack, but I used to buy them in 15s. I probably had used some before it got dropped into the Dopp kit, but I know it has at least two more (after I slid out the one to use, I partially slid out the next and see where there is another under it).

I will save one for next February for sure.

Stan

Still going from February 1st...

Yay! I've just made it to my FOUR BLADES PER YEAR DAY (or 91 great shaves on the magical Polsilver SI).

I celebrated with my brand new iKon Tech (on an MRT handle). :001_smile
upload_2017-5-2_23-15-42.png

Still going from February 1st...

Yay! I've just made it to my FOUR BLADES PER YEAR DAY (or 91 great shaves on the magical Polsilver SI).

I celebrated with my brand new iKon Tech (on an MRT handle). :001_smile
View attachment 786271

Welcome to the club. I remember how I felt once I realized that I was only using 3 to 4 blades per year and that I was likely never going to need to buy another blade ever again.

It's a goodish feeling.

I think my current Polsilver may make 50 shaves, probably 40 or 45 on the other ones currently in rotation.

Obviously I'm still new at this....

Quite a milestone, Cal. Congrats!
Thank you Mike. :001_smile
Nice way to make use of blades that aren't made any more.
I'm certainly enjoying this blade, but I'm keen to try others too. The next two I have lined up are a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black and a Kai, I'm not sure which one will be first.

Out of my HUGE purchase of three packs of Polsilver SIs, I still have 14 blades left. So at current perfomance that's 3½ years worth. :laugh:

I've just hit 100 shaves on my "One Blade in February" Polsilver Super Iridium. :punk:
upload_2017-5-11_22-35-4.png

This is due to all the great technique advice I've had at the Excalibur Club. Thank you Guys. :thumbup:

And of course thank you @goby for hosting the magical "One Blade in February" each year. :thumbup1:

:thumbup1: @1Cal ! Congrats on hitting the century mark with that Polsilver!
Thank you David. :001_smile
Obviously, a one month challenge isn't long enough!
:laugh: Thank you Dog Whiskerer. My previous record was 31 shaves on a Personna Red. So really, I had no idea this would happen... I just kept shaving. I was hoping for more than 31, so obviously I'm real pleased — not to mention a little surprised.
Cal, that is insane. Bravo! You continue to be an inspiration!
Thank you Spike. :001_smile
Congrats!
Fairly amazing.
Thank you Hoka Hey. :001_smile

Hi,

I was doing a little spring cleaning a couple days ago and found an old, rotten, Dopp Kit buried under my sink. Nothing in it, and it was the one I used in the early 80s. Oh. Wait. There is one thing in it: a dispenser of Schick Plus Platinum blades.

So, I began a One Blade May run with one this morning. :)

I won't be reporting here daily like I would if it were Feb 1st. But, I will report when I think it is done. I also don't know how many blades are in this pack, but I used to buy them in 15s. I probably had used some before it got dropped into the Dopp kit, but I know it has at least two more (after I slid out the one to use, I partially slid out the next and see where there is another under it).

I will save one for next February for sure.

Stan

Hi,

It feels odd to be quoting myself, but this way no one has to look back in time to find out what I am going on about! ;)

So, this started falling off on Day Five. And, kept right on falling off until it was Bin Time at Day Fifteen.

That explains why I used to bin a blade twice a week, after Day Three or Four.

It was Ye Olde One Blade February that got me out to (a) a whole week and then (b) a fortnight on one blade. That being either a Med Prep or a Blue from Personna Verona. Those are what I went to from the Surgical Supply shop when the Schick Plus Platinum disappeared from drug store shelves.

I suspect a manufacturing design on the part of Schick to cause earlier blade deterioration due to the fact they were marketed to consumers. Personna didn't need to do that back then as their market was to One Time Use Only users.

It was nice and smooth in he beginning, though. Smoother than the Personna, which takes a couple of days to smooth out.

Stan

Top Bottom