What's new

Dating "birth razors"

I've seen an upsurge in the interest for razors made in the same year and quarter as somebody's birth, but I have some remarks and a question. Gillette razors have been manufactured with date codes from about 1950 or so marked by a letter (indicating manufacture year) and a number (indicating the quarter in which it was produced) for example K 4 is a razor made in 1965 in the fourth quarter. My question is if anybody knows whether the quarters used by Gillette on their razors followed a calendar year or a fiscal year with different beginning points? Some fiscal years used to start as early as July, so if somebody decided to buy a buy a razor for their birth year they'd need to adjust by six months. I wondered if anyone had any other info.

Conventional wisdom here has always been that it's based on calendar year.

If it turns out to be different, maybe we'll see an explosion of activity on B/S/T! :smile:

- Chris

I don't see why. Automobiles are always dated on the fiscal year in which they're made/sold. You can always get 'next year's" model in October.

There's a big difference in calling something a model 2010 if it's made in October. You don't make something in October 2009 and stamp it as being made in February. I know exactly when my cars were made regardless of what the advertising people call it.

Len

G

gone down south

I don't see why. Automobiles are always dated on the fiscal year in which they're made/sold. You can always get 'next year's" model in October.

But the codes stamped on the body will reflect the actual date of manufacture.

Top Bottom