What's new

Cheap Stuff that Really Works

The only thing better than a 1912 Gem Jr. is a FREE 1912 Gem Jr. Some time ago, I was talking to my brother and he asked me if I had ever heard of Gem razors. I have indeed, I replied, have two that are the only things that touch my face. He said he had found a couple out in his barn and they were in good shape, he'd send them to me if I wanted them. You bet, says I. Well they arrived today. One was an all metal, square handled Gem Jr. and the other was a TTO Gem Micromatic. Yeah Buddy!

I'll give the Arko stick another + because it lathers so dang well.

Even though it does smell like a urinal puck and I can't imagine preferring that over the sublime scent of der Tabac.

I pressed my Arko into an Anchor Hocking bowl and let it sit without a lid for several weeks. This took (most of) the punch out of the scent.

I still superlather it with a little Proraso to cover the remaining smell.

Incredible lather for cheap. Really cheap.

SMELLS LIKE A URINAL PUCK. :lol:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'll give the Arko stick another + because it lathers so dang well.

Even though it does smell like a urinal puck and I can't imagine preferring that over the sublime scent of der Tabac.

I pressed my Arko into an Anchor Hocking bowl and let it sit without a lid for several weeks. This took (most of) the punch out of the scent.

I still superlather it with a little Proraso to cover the remaining smell.

I don't mind the smell of Arko, but my wife hates it. It is a great soap that molds like putty. I pressed one into my Old Spice mug. AND it's way better than Williams.

I have to say, I've never actually bent down and sniffed one of those, what does it smell like?

and perhaps more importantly, why have you been sniffing urinals?

and perhaps more importantly, why have you been sniffing urinals?

I understand your curiosity but I really wouldn't like to know Koso's answer. :eek:

It is a kinda popular statement from people not liking Arko but since it mostly smells fresh and clean (ok, very fresh and very clean) I wonder if these guys only go to a clean toilet in bars or at least think they are clean there?

And if so what the bathroom at their homes looks/smells like ?:biggrin::biggrin:

Went into Big W a few days ago and picked up a tube of Faulding shave cream for $1.67 on special. Beautiful lather, had a really close shave with no irritation. I Loved it so much that I went back today and purchased their remaining stock.

That's funny: I was in Coles today, looking at the [rather meager] mens toiletries section. Saw those same tubes there, but I ended up going for the Mennen Shave Sticks instead - it was a brand I'd heard of, and cheap too at $2.15.

V

VR6ofpain

That's funny: I was in Coles today, looking at the [rather meager] mens toiletries section. Saw those same tubes there, but I ended up going for the Mennen Shave Sticks instead - it was a brand I'd heard of, and cheap too at $2.15.
Coles huh? What kind of store is that? We have a department store in the US called Kohl's. I bet they are pronounced the same.

I received a Mennen shave stick from a gentleman in Australia. I have yet to use it, but hope it is as good as Mennen's Skin Bracer AS. Skin Bracer is cheap and works wonders. A poor man's Floid Vigoroso.

T.N. Dickinson's WH, for about $3, does exactly what it's supposed to do. (I like the Thayer's WH, too, but it is more than twice the price!)

Coles huh? What kind of store is that? We have a department store in the US called Kohl's. I bet they are pronounced the same.

Coles is a general grocery store chain in Australia. Between them and Woolworths, I'd say they've got about 85% of the market covered. Doesn't do much for competition, but our governing body the ACCC is pretty much a toothless tiger.

Speick shaving cream for about $4 per tube. 100% natural, smells really nice and makes good lather. Can be combined with other glycerin soaps because the smell of Speick isn't too intensive; makes good superlather as well!

Whole Foods....a few bucks. really slick and interesting smell!:thumbup:

I found the "Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap" today in an Amish Hardware Store. It said it could be used for shaving, so I thought, I would give it a whirl. The ingredients are super basic, seems like a very "classic" old fashion style soap.

Calling the smell "interesting" is a huge understatement. I would say it smells very very very earthy. lol. :thumbup:

Note, how the box says it lathers white?? The soap is almost black in color in it's non-wet form!!!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Ok, time for my 2 cents

van der hagen glycerin

Tabac- $9-10 at fragrencex and last me over a year with every other day usage. say 1 1/2 years or even say a year, thats comes out to $0.027 / daily. thats cheap:thumbup:

Johnson & Johnson Baby powder or Clubman Talc for keeping the swampies away. Also great for keeping the face matte when one develops that Crisco sheen like I sometimes can.

Now THAT is frugal. Good show.

I use a 4.5" tall prescription medication container to hold my brush as I travel. I've not yet found a pharmacist willing to charge me for an empty container notwithstanding offering to do so every time I need a new one.

I'll throw in Booster Aftershave...any scent...each bottle is like a gallon for under $10. Also, JM Fraser cream. I think I could use that stuff everyday for years and still have half of a tub!

Top Bottom