What's new

Cheap Stuff that Really Works

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Also thanks to all those who played by the rules, which is most of you.

Note to self: Make new shopping list. :wink:

Watkins Petro-Carbo salve. This stuff is basically a medicated Vaseline, smells a bit, but works great on razor burn. The only problem with it is that it is extremely sticky after putting it on. So what I do is mix about equal parts of Watkins, along with Corn Huskers lotion and witch hazel, in a warm mug (I just use my finger to dab & mix it). Then it goes on not quite as sticky, but still a bit stinky. A good after shave splash takes care of the stinky bit though.

Ogallala shave soaps -- less than $5 for a puck. It lasts and lasts, plus it has some of the best slickness of anything I've tried.
My more expensive C&E and Trufitt and Hill products just sit on the shelf.....

I have wanted to try Florida Water for some time now but have not been able to find a local brick-and-mortar seller. Where to you get yours?

I have found this in the "ethnic section" of the cosmetics/hair & skin care aisle of the local supermarket (Albany, NY). And in a drugstore in Grand Central Station in NYC - and in a supermarket outside of Troy, NY. (Albany & Troy are NOT major metro areas!)

I also found two different Chinese Florida Water brands in a local Asian Food market.

Don't think it has been mentioned, but at $3.86 for a 65 gram tube, this is great smelling, great lathering, and an extremely slick cream.

in either sensitive or hydrating formulations. Less than $5 for (I think) 5oz at Rite Aid and elsewhere. Works as well as others costing 4-5X more, though I do continue to buy T&H Ultimate, my favorite, expensive but to me worth the premium.

In general the price of GEM razors.

OK, if I can only do one cheap thing that works great at a time, I'd have to agree with the Gem Razor. These things are the poo bar none. Great shaves, really cheap and in my estimation some of the best razors ever produced. The rest of the cheap stuff on my previous list is just neat stuff. After careful consideration, it occurred to me that the Gem razors were what made most of that stuff work. Do yourself a favor and pick up a 1912 Gem Junior today.

I have found this in the "ethnic section" of the cosmetics/hair & skin care aisle of the local supermarket (Albany, NY). And in a drugstore in Grand Central Station in NYC - and in a supermarket outside of Troy, NY. (Albany & Troy are NOT major metro areas!)

I also found two different Chinese Florida Water brands in a local Asian Food market.

"Ethnic section" eh? Go figure. I have been wasting my time looking in the shaving and cologne sections. Thanks. I am going to look harder and more ethnically :wink:

Hope I did not reply earlier, but Superior 70 bay rum. I think I paid about $4.00 for a liter. My favorite smelling bay rum and I love bay rum. Tad heavy on the alcohol.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hope I did not reply earlier, but Superior 70 bay rum. I think I paid about $4.00 for a liter. My favorite smelling bay rum and I love bay rum. Tad heavy on the alcohol.

I don't see this one in the reviews section. Where do you get it?

I second the idea that there have been great suggestions on here! Many thanks!
My Dad (who will be 94 in a week) has used Jergens Lotion since he was young & put on his face before any kind of aftershave (which is usually Skin Bracer or Afta) and his face is still smooth and wrinkle free!
I also use it on occasion and usually use Skin Bracer or Aqua Velva sometimes.
Thanks you all! This is a great forum!

"Ethnic section" eh? Go figure. I have been wasting my time looking in the shaving and cologne sections. Thanks. I am going to look harder and more ethnically :wink:

Don't know what part of Florida you're in, but I saw some yesterday at a Food Lion grocery store, again in the ethnic hair care section.

Not really shaving related but Florida Gator fans save money by turning jeans into cutoff jean shorts:

picture.php

+1 on the Palmolive sticks.
But I can get P.160 (a tallow based Italian soap) for €6 and weights 1 whole kilogram.
Even with shipping costs from Italy to Belgium it is still cheaper than Palmolive.

To bent the rules a bit (to include another), also consider the Meat and Potatoes bar from Woody's. I saw it somewhere for $7 with free shipping. But I don't remember where it was because they didn't ship to Europe.
With this soap (12 oz - 340g), you can take a shower, shave yourself (really nice shaves; review here), use as a shampoo and this soap is so moisterizing I don't use a after shave or balm anymore (and any moisterizing cream is also unnecessary).
Now that's an efficient allround soap which saves some space on the den as well. :001_smile

Tabac shave soap. You can sometimes pick up a refill puck for $7 @ FragranceX.com. Simply the best soap ever made...at an amazing deal. The white glass bowl is pretty sweet, but unnecessary.

+1
Godrej shave cream - lathers as well as any of the three T's or other creams, scent is nice, and for $2.99/tube at a local international market the price can't be beat. :biggrin:

+1

IWhat about proraso cream? I pay $7 for a 150g tube. I love the stuff.

"Neutrogena Transparent Facial Bar" makes an excellent shaving soap.
Melts into a bowl with 30 - 40 seconds in a microwave oven. It is fragrance free, but I have scented my own by adding some lavender and bergamot essential oils. It uses Stearic Acid and tallow as its base ingredients though I gather they don't make too big a fuss about the tallow for fear of scaring off its main target market (i.e. middle-class women). Some say this is a little drying but I have never had a problem with it (I use the "hypoallergenic" version available in Australia and NZ. I think this may be the same as "original formula" in the US). Avoid the version for acne-prone skin (unless of course you have acne) as that will certainly dry your skin out.
I have also used it to "cut" another soap which had too strong a fragrance for my liking but is now much better.
Cheap and available throughout Europe, the English-speaking world and beyond.

My other cheap stuff that works entry:

VDH or Burma Shave Boar Brushes

These can be had for under $5 each at Wal Mart (although, WM seems to be phasing out the BS for the VDH). They both can build a good lather with the soaps I've tried (Williams and VDH). They also can build a good lather with my cream of choice (Proraso). And for me the purpose of a brush is to get the lather to my face. They both do this well enough for me.

The Burmas have disappeared from my area Wal-marts. I inquired to ASR as to why, here was their response, so if you like the Burmas, you might want to snatch up a few before they're all gone:

Dear Mr. #####,

Thank you for your interest in Personna American Safety Razor and our Burma Shave Brushes.

We discontinued selling Burma Shave Brushes in January of 2008.

If I may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Anna Hickman | personna / American Safety Razor
1-888-254-2126

I'm assuming any that are left are just old stock that is being sold off. A local drug store chain here in town still has some. Not the end of the world or anything, it's just that I've probably used Burmas for hundreds if not thousands of shaves in my life. They've always done me well. They last about how long you'd expect a $5 brush to last.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The Burmas have disappeared from my area Wal-marts. I inquired to ASR as to why, here was their response, so if you like the Burmas, you might want to snatch up a few before they're all gone:

Dear Mr. #####,

Thank you for your interest in Personna American Safety Razor and our Burma Shave Brushes.

We discontinued selling Burma Shave Brushes in January of 2008.

If I may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Anna Hickman | personna / American Safety Razor
1-888-254-2126

I'm assuming any that are left are just old stock that is being sold off. A local drug store chain here in town still has some. Not the end of the world or anything, it's just that I've probably used Burmas for hundreds if not thousands of shaves in my life. They've always done me well. They last about how long you'd expect a $5 brush to last.

Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom