What's new

Charcoal Goods Level 3: Aggressive Beauty

$IMG_0059.jpg

I don't know, but I'm hoping Brian [MENTION=94658]charcoalgoods[/MENTION] will chime in with some information and some better pix!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I don't know, but I'm hoping Brian [MENTION=94658]charcoalgoods[/MENTION] will chime in with some information and some better pix!
She's gorgeous, Scott. I really like that one. I also liked the look of the "honey comb" one they made.

Kindly,
Adam

Great photos and nice razor. I'm a huge fan of pretty much everything that Brian has done so far. He makes some of the most beautiful looking razors around. I have an old Charcoal Goods Zamak head that was my favorite shaver for a while. I inquired about the possibility of an adjustable razor in the future so that we wouldn't have to worry about whether or not we selected the right level of aggression for the head, but unfortunately it sounds like patent issues might be too large of a hurdle to overcome.

I think that he has been experimenting with aluminum lately so we could see some machined handles and heads at some tempting prices. I think that his soap is also as much of a treat for the nose as his razors are for the eyes. If you haven't already checked it out, I'd recommend doing so. The scent is incredible. In any case, thanks for sharing your experience and some photos. It sounds like a great razor.

Man, I love this Level 3 razor. I went back to it this morning, after an Ikon Shavecraft Tech binge for several days. The Charcoal shaves just as closely, with as little effort, as the Ikon Tech. It also feels a bit more safe in my hand. And, of course, is miles ahead in looks. I wish Brian much success!

I've made some preliminary decisions regarding the final four among my aggressive DEs--the R41 2011, Ikon Shavecraft Tech, PAA DOC Evo and Charcoal Goods Level 3. (Although I need to start using my ATT H2, Wolfman .74mm and FaTip open comb to be totally fair.) Today, I would say the Charcoal is both my most beautiful razor and my most efficient. My morning shave with the Charcoal is still almost billiard ball smooth, but of course my morning was more recent than many of yours. The shave itself is less blade-forward than my R41 or Ikon, and about on par with the PAA, which is also a great, long-lasting shave. I'm consciously trying not to psychologically lock down on a #1, as I enjoy them all, but my hand reaches where it wants after I lather my face... And recently it's been coming up Charcoal.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I've made some preliminary decisions regarding the final four among my aggressive DEs--the R41 2011, Ikon Shavecraft Tech, PAA DOC Evo and Charcoal Goods Level 3. (Although I need to start using my ATT H2, Wolfman .74mm and FaTip open comb to be totally fair.) Today, I would say the Charcoal is both my most beautiful razor and my most efficient. My morning shave with the Charcoal is still almost billiard ball smooth, but of course my morning was more recent than many of yours. The shave itself is less blade-forward than my R41 or Ikon, and about on par with the PAA, which is also a great, long-lasting shave. I'm consciously trying not to psychologically lock down on a #1, as I enjoy them all, but my hand reaches where it wants after I lather my face... And recently it's been coming up Charcoal.

Any update on your preferences? I have been eyeing the charcoal L3 OC / PAA DOC Evo Stainless / RR Wunderbar / Parker Variant. Luckily I have some time!!

As I'm on restraint for the year, I'm not even going to look at the Wunderbar or Variant, at least until I'm done with this post. As I posted on the PAA DOC Evo thread recently, I personally put my four most enjoyable aggressive DE razors to the test, and the Charcoal L3 came first, with the PAA in second only because the beauty of the Charcoal is unmatched. The efficient, long-lasting, incredibly close shaves of the two are virtually indistinguishable, and the relatively friendly blade-forward aggressiveness is also very similar, giving me confidence with either in my hand. The Muhle R41 2011 and Ikon Shavecraft Tech, for reference, are also great shaves, but not as efficiently close for me, and came in third and fourth, respectively. I still plan to bring my ATT H2, Wolfman .74mm open comb, FaTip piccolo and Le Coq to the party, but haven't had time. I've now got to sign off, so I can check out the first two razors I mentioned at the top of the post...

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
As I'm on restraint for the year, I'm not even going to look at the Wunderbar or Variant, at least until I'm done with this post. As I posted on the PAA DOC Evo thread recently, I personally put my four most enjoyable aggressive DE razors to the test, and the Charcoal L3 came first, with the PAA in second only because the beauty of the Charcoal is unmatched. The efficient, long-lasting, incredibly close shaves of the two are virtually indistinguishable, and the relatively friendly blade-forward aggressiveness is also very similar, giving me confidence with either in my hand. The Muhle R41 2011 and Ikon Shavecraft Tech, for reference, are also great shaves, but not as efficiently close for me, and came in third and fourth, respectively. I still plan to bring my ATT H2, Wolfman .74mm open comb, FaTip piccolo and Le Coq to the party, but haven't had time. I've now got to sign off, so I can check out the first two razors I mentioned at the top of the post...

Funny, I didn't like the 2011 R41, as it was just too aggressive for me. I love love love the ikon tech, though, so we'll see...

If I decide to order one I'm just not sure what level I would go . Like I said I tend to lean towards the milder razors . I'm just worried if I go level 1 it will be to mild . I wish someone had a level 2 and could weigh in on this with their opinion .
TSE has done a few reviews of a level 2. You could always watch those and shoot him an email if you have any questions.

Yes, unfortunately I am in the yearlong restraint.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm also in the yearlong restraint, and thus feel your pain. Thank God my last two razor purchases in 2016 were the PAA DOC Evolution stainless and the Charcoal Level 3. They are now, and will remain for the rest of the year, my two favorites among my 60+ razors. The Charcoal is top of the heap. I used it this morning, and am just now feeling some light stubble. A truly amazing and easy to use razor, without peer on the closeness factor... In my experience.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm also in the yearlong restraint, and thus feel your pain. Thank God my last two razor purchases in 2016 were the PAA DOC Evolution stainless and the Charcoal Level 3. They are now, and will remain for the rest of the year, my two favorites among my 60+ razors. The Charcoal is top of the heap. I used it this morning, and am just now feeling some light stubble. A truly amazing and easy to use razor, without peer on the closeness factor... In my experience.

Random question,

If you find yourself gravitating towards one of those most of the time, would you be willing to let me try the other? I'd give you whatever aftershave you'd like as a thanks!

- Krampert's Finest Bay Rum - approximately 70% left
- PAA/Crown King Sun Down
- Musgo Real Aftershave - 80%
- Indian Old Spice in Original / lime / musk - approximately 2/3 left of each
- Crown Shaving Co Aftershave Tonic - 90% approximately
- Italian Barber Aquatico
- Italian Barber Zi Peppino
- Old Spice - 50%
- Wholly Kaw Fougere bouquet 50%
- Klar Seifen
- Black Ship Grooming Captains Pipe
- Azzaro chrome 90%
- Osage Rub

Given the risk of getting us both in trouble by responding, let me PM you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom