What's new

Charcoal Goods Level 3: Aggressive Beauty

I'm surprised I haven't read more about this razor. I had my second shave with it today, and I've already decided it's an amazing work of precision and craftsmanship.

Mine is made of machined brass, with an antique look. It's certainly unique in my collection, and my most beautiful DE razor (perhaps because my eyes are fatigued from all the shiny silver on most of my other DEs). I'll post pictures later, but one can find pictures at Brian's website, and on his vendor pages on this forum.

The shave is also amazing. I like aggressive DEs, and use mostly a Muhle R41 2011, Ikon Shavecraft Tech, Le Coq with a caged comb, ATT H2, Wolfman open comb with an increased blade gap of .74mm, etc. Last week, I acquired a PAA DOC Evolution in stainless, which I'm sure will also become a regular.

Charcoal comes in three levels of aggressiveness. Of course, I chose the most aggressive level, Level 3, which Brian describes as similar to an R41 or Ikon Tech, a description that inspired me to purchase.

The Charcoal shaves a lot like the Ikon Tech and PAA, although my results are very preliminary. These are the three with the greatest blade feel among my herd. Especially against the grain on my chin, I can feel the blade tugging relentlessly in the Charcoal. Some gents don't like this kind of shave, but I enjoy the focus it requires. (I have many quirks...) I tried the Lord Platinum blade that came with the razor yesterday, which was a mistake, not because Lords are bad, but because I'd never used one before. Today I used the familiar Astra SP and got a much smoother (yet still tuggy) shave. Next, I'll have the Charcoal and the PAA face off, using an Astra in both. My shave today was as close as I can get.

Anyone else use a Charcoal?

I was just looking into purchasing one of the Charcoal Goods razors . I would be looking at getting the level 1 or 2 . I tend to lean towards more tame razors . They look like they are well built . How is the fit and finish on these razors ?

I was just looking into purchasing one of the Charcoal Goods razors . I would be looking at getting the level 1 or 2 . I tend to lean towards more tame razors . They look like they are well built . How is the fit and finish on these razors ?

I found one tiny machining mark on the baseplate. Otherwise perfect. I'll post pix tomorrow.

Here's a picture of my handle from a @charcoalgoods thread:
attachment.php.jpg

Oops, I guess I can't post pix from Brian's thread.

Last edited:
The level 3 is great if you like aggressive. I never noticed any problems with the finish on mine. I would say they are machined to tight tolerances. The blade on mine will stay attached when you separate the cap and base plate.

If I decide to order one I'm just not sure what level I would go . Like I said I tend to lean towards the milder razors . I'm just worried if I go level 1 it will be to mild . I wish someone had a level 2 and could weigh in on this with their opinion .

If I decide to order one I'm just not sure what level I would go . Like I said I tend to lean towards the milder razors . I'm just worried if I go level 1 it will be to mild . I wish someone had a level 2 and could weigh in on this with their opinion .

I believe he has an exchange policy (unless you have the baseplate engraved for free, as I did). If you guess wrong, you get a mulligan!

It's only been about nine hours since I shaved with this thing (a very late start today), but I still can't find a hair on my face. I'm concerned I won't be able to justify shaving tomorrow after my shower, which is only 12 hours from now.

I bought a charcoal razor with the dual comb/bar 3D printed head and the antique hammered copper handle but i don't use it.....it's just too pretty to use.

Top Bottom