What's new

Charcoal Goods Level 3: Aggressive Beauty

Hey pbrmhl, where did you get Le Coq?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was offered for sale to me by a kindly gent on this forum who knew I was into aggressive razors. I've not seen one for sale but, then again, I've never looked.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Reason I ask is, I emailed Charcoal, and this is the response I got from Brian:

If you like the Ikon Tech you want my machined level-3 closed comb. I designed it with the iKon tech in the other hand. My only complaint with the Ikon was that i felt it often tugged too much. My design is a bit different in a number of areas but I feel like it is just as aggressive as the Ikon and mine's a bit smoother too, IMHO. I've had a number of guys agree with that assessment also.

I can't shave with my level-3 open comb. it's too aggressive for me, but again, I'm getting good feedback from aggressive junkies. A couple of early testers, myself included tried shimming my level-3 and we all agreed it was too much. turns out there is a limit!

@pbrmhl, is your charcoal l3 OC or CC?

Mine is an open comb. I suspect Brian is recommending the closed comb because that's what the Ikon Tech is. My open comb L3 is not noticeably more aggressive on my face than the Tech. I also just happen to like open comb razors.

Beautiful razors! Glad to see they are out of my price range. :001_unsur
Ikon Tech is all I use anymore and while looking a bit utilitarian after visiting the Charcoal site, gets the job done quite enjoyably.
Thanks for the review!

I should have ordered a Charcoal Goods razor when Brian was able to do custom length handles. I really want a hammered handle but he only makes that one 3" long and I want a 3.5" long handle. I also like the Stars and Stripes which is 3.5" long and may consider that one instead. The magnum hammered handle is just too large in diameter for my needs/wants.

The Asylum RX has become my favorite SE, but I still think I get a closer, if more aggressive, shave with my Charcoal Goods Level 3 and PAA DOC Evo in stainless. I'm really enjoying all three, but I still use many others as well!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The Asylum RX has become my favorite SE, but I still think I get a closer, if more aggressive, shave with my Charcoal Goods Level 3 and PAA DOC Evo in stainless. I'm really enjoying all three, but I still use many others as well!
thanks for your input. Do you have to be more careful with one or the other?

For me, the PAA requires the most care, and the RX the least. The Ikon Tech requires more care than any of my other razors except the current Mongoose with a Super Pro. The latter combo is a beast on my face. Based on your responses, czechczar, I suspect you find the PAA more aggressive than the Ikon Tech?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For me, the PAA requires the most care, and the RX the least. The Ikon Tech requires more care than any of my other razors except the current Mongoose with a Super Pro. The latter combo is a beast on my face. Based on your responses, czechczar, I suspect you find the PAA more aggressive than the Ikon Tech?
Much more aggressive. Though the Tech for me feels toothy, I don't find it particularly aggressive. I have cut myself once in the past year or so. The PAA was like walking a minefield - I think I might be able to get used to it but I am not sure...

I haven't used the PAA DOC Evolution in stainless for well over a month but, based on today's shave with my Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb in antique brass with a Kai blade, I've determined that the Charcoal is king of the hill. For me, it even outperforms the Asylum RX. I might change my mind tomorrow or the next day, but I doubt it.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I haven't used the PAA DOC Evolution in stainless for well over a month but, based on today's shave with my Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb in antique brass with a Kai blade, I've determined that the Charcoal is king of the hill. For me, it even outperforms the Asylum RX. I might change my mind tomorrow or the next day, but I doubt it.
Good to know! I am going to try the RX soon!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've all 3 plates and shaved with only L3 plate. All 3 are SB. I think ikon Tech is smoother than L3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For any of you planning to attend the meet-up in Seattle at the Collins Pub tomorrow: I'm planning to bring my Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb in antique brass, and some blades. If you want to bring your gear, you're welcome to try it in the Collins bathroom. I've been there many times; it's not the best, nor the worst, of the public bathrooms you'll experience.

Top Bottom