What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Gents - I just received word back from B&B ownership, and we are to ignore the threat made by the company to legally pursue our members for posting negative opinions about the product/company/website/owner.

I will be restoring the removed posts, and opening the threads back up.

I would just like to point out that a user by the name of "therealbriantwilley" made a post on another US Forum (not sure if I'm allowed to link it here, or not), on the thread Vendor "Everyday Shaving" - page 3 post #26. Make of that what you will.

I've been following that thread as well (the same profile was created here and made the same single post), and while I'm still not at all interested in the razor at all I do hope that people reading this stuff are using caution and common sense. I'm sure we all know that anyone can create a profile on these sites and call it whatever we want and say whatever we want. And I'm not saying that's what's happening, the razors do seem to be shipping from the location where Charcoal was last operating from so I'd like to think Brian made that post and doesn't have some shill creating these accounts and posting on his behalf (he did acknowledge that he's not involved in any of the sales/marketing/operations). But the fact that this account told B&B that they didn't want any negative posts about the product or company is a really bad look in my opinion, and I think it bears discussing. To me that's just like a retailer removing negative reviews on a product's page because they're negative and could affect sales. This is a public discussion forum, that's what happens.

Separately, as a social experiment this situation does make me wonder if I can create a profile and call myself "the real (someone interesting)" and get really popular really quick 😎

Well if Charcoke Good was or is suck a great product, design, etc.

Surprise someone with reverse engineering background has not bought up a few of the Old Razors & Handles.

Then clone the product under new name, and branding.

Sort of like DE blade all look the same, but each make uses their secret metal formula, and name to sell look a like product.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Our focus on Charcoal Goods’ subsequent releases stems from our love for its products and our admiration for Brian’s artistic expression.

As consumers/fans, we have the right to share and read his publicly posted information on razor-related public forums and discuss whether we like the new product.

Personally, I think our discussions here are very gentlemanly. If we do not involve fabricated and malicious personal attacks, there is no need to be swayed by them.

DE wet shaving is a small market and I don't think it's a good marketing plan to attack the free speech of the largest wet shaving community.

Now that things have developed to this point, it seems that we can only stand in a distant position and wish the new team good sales.

Last edited:

ERS4

Well if Charcoke Good was or is suck a great product, design, etc.

Surprise someone with reverse engineering background has not bought up a few of the Old Razors & Handles.

Then clone the product under new name, and branding.

Sort of like DE blade all look the same, but each make uses their secret metal formula, and name to sell look a like product.

In fact there is.
A friend I met online knew my love for Charcoal and once gave me a Chinese imitation Stinger titanium handle.
I'm not sure where he got it from, I tried searching using keywords but couldn't find it.

It's a pity that it lacks many details of the Stinger, not only that there are no concentric lines in the honeycomb, but even the bee's feet are missing (as shown on the left). Obviously they can only roughly copy the appearance, but they are nowhere near the technology and aesthetics of Charcoal.

The handicapped bee looked really unpleasant, forcing me to carve out the feet for the bee myself, which of course was a crude modification involving all human effort. (As shown on the right)

So of course we hope that Charcoal Goods can return one day and not go through other people's hands.
Only Charcoal Goods are Charcoal Goods.
1709960376014.png

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It seems to be a quite common occurrence that great razor design skills seem to go hand in hand with feeling extremely overprotective of their creations and business and quite a talent to alienate customers and potential customers for no good reason at all.

We have this very thread with the very unenthusiastic and neutral title "CG beats everything in my den" and some 66 pages of near universal praise. So why the fuss?

Even the Everyday Stinger thread was more an ad for a razor and company not many here would have noticed or cared for.

That the new endeavor doesn't seem quite up to the level that Charcoal Goods had and even in his own words is for another audience, younger and less wealthy, or the doubts if this is really Charcoal Goods... that was so bad to issue threats?

Streisand effect, IMO. He should rather be happy that people talked about the new razor line for free.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Let us all remember that CG moved and completely changed their design to something that was a pale shadow of its former self. The Gen 3 razors did not perform anywhere near the prior generations in my opinion. And the new multi-part handles lacked the artistic beauty and amazing machine work of their forebearers as well. So who is to say that if the official CG were to ever come back, that they would manufacture anything compelling? I know I will forever enjoy my early generation CG razors. But my hopes to see anything worthwhile from CG in the future are quite slim.

Wonder if the Charcoal Goods Razors that was so great, were just in vogue because of hype, or if the product was really great, for people to pay crazy prices on secondary market.

I know from my personal many things that were once great, in past great, consistent, made well, have change in my time alive.

The list of things is too long to list, but from Car brands, simple foods, chain restaurants, or franchises, and even Blue jeans most have changed. The saying they don't make em like they use too is so true, and I see no change in sight to return to G.O.D. aka good old days.

Customer service, and employee dedicated to their jobs is almost a lot quantity in retail, and on line help. P:art of the reason is peoples values, ethics, dedication to job or career is different in 2023, that it was in 1953, or before.

I've only shaved with gen2 and gen3 and I find them decent, but there are much better razors imho. Their handles are quite interesting, good looking and I probably took a lot of time to be made, but I don't find them very practical. At one point I wanted to acquire a gen1 just to see how it performs, however given for how much they go for, I'd rather spend my money on something else.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Wonder if the Charcoal Goods Razors that was so great, were just in vogue because of hype, or if the product was really great, for people to pay crazy prices on secondary market.
The product is really great. 😎. I still have several Gen 1 and 2 razors in my top rotation. They just work for me, and I get absolutely amazing shaves from them. And the handles are among the best of the best. I have a number of free range CG handles that I use with all sorts of vintage and modern razors these days. For example, a brass Maze handle is a perfect match with a Tech!

ERS4

I know from my personal many things that were once great, in past great, consistent, made well, have change in my time alive.

The list of things is too long to list, but from Car brands, simple foods, chain restaurants, or franchises, and even Blue jeans most have changed. The saying they don't make em like they use too is so true, and I see no change in sight to return to G.O.D. aka good old days.

Customer service, and employee dedicated to their jobs is almost a lot quantity in retail, and on line help. P:art of the reason is peoples values, ethics, dedication to job or career is different in 2023, that it was in 1953, or before.
My time in Charcoal Goods is short, so I only own the Gen 3 head + a late generation hollow Stinger handle + an early solid Maze handle.

Although the Gen3 head is thought to have reduced its effectiveness.
But I was surprised to find that it's just as effective as my skin favorite Olaf Rasmussen Prep and very comfortable.
Personally, shaving with the Gen3 is just as enjoyable as my Wolfman wrII 1.05, but the smoothness of the Gen3 is even more mesmerizing.
The important thing is that because their lather channel is very thin on the side near the base plate, it is super easy to rinse, and there will be no residue even when the water pressure is insufficient. (I live in a high-rise building, and sometimes when shaving late at night, I avoid turning on the pressurized motor to avoid disturbing the neighbors. Some razors can easily clog if the water pressure is too low.)

The final hollow stinger handle is indeed slightly less beautiful than the original solid stinger handle, but it just fits my preference for lighter handles; the balance of this handle is similar to the configuration of some current titanium alloy handles, so shaving is very flexible.

The aesthetics are of course an added bonus.
Most handles on the market are continuously knurled and symmetrical in shape.
However, the handles of Charcoal goods often have independently engraved totems, which will greatly increase the time cost of processing, or boldly try some unique processing effects; although the anti-slip performance may not be the highest level such as Rex Ambassador, it adds a lot of fun to playing with the razor.

Well the bottom line is the company is done, the razors are made no more, and the owner of design & patent does not see potential of licensing another person to rem make, and get royalty.

Maybe the Charcoal Good is the 57 Belair or Nomad of Razor the thing everyone want, few have, and when flipped on after marker resale, bring big buck.

Recently say at a Car Show a 55 Speedster, it was perfect in everyday, had complete frame off restoration, after being found in Barn were it sat 30 plus years. Cool HEN TOOTh, but NSF, over was not interested in money, he enjoy his Speedster. Guy offered ownter 300k, replay was no.

Think people are kicking self when they could have bought that grail something at retail, now that production has stopped, resale value is nots.

Last edited:
I see no reason why CG should start making razors again unless it is to go back to making razors to the exact specs of the Gen 1 designs and should be more of a mix of SS, Brass, and Copper!! I think like most, the Gen 2 & 3 razors just missed the mark and pretty much signalled the end of GC as a company because most people wanted the Gen 1 designs only and razor sales really showed the effect that the brand wasn't significant anymore. I never bought a CG because I could never find a SS Gen 1 Lvl2 or 3 that was available at CG and only on the secondary market for a premium price because they were to never be made again and everyone deemed them collectable before the company even went belly up!!

I know quite a few keep saying if he were to open the doors again and start making razors again they would support him and buy something, but the reality of it is if it's not that Gen 1 design and I might also add for the same pricing as they were back in the day, most will pass on them altogether!! Look at other Mfg's that have brought back designs only for them to sit on the stock because most changed their mind because something else came along that was newer and shinier...

I’d like to get a gen 2 level 2 but they just don’t go up for sale. I also wouldn’t be surprised that it is over hyped …. but reselling wouldnt be a problem. As mentioned earlier he should sell the design to Yates or even Blackland.

Top Bottom