What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

What's the other aluminum razor that looks like it should be branded by Sharper Image? Magnetic head and a square handle and huge baseplate and head? Seems similar to that design.

What's the other aluminum razor that looks like it should be branded by Sharper Image? Magnetic head and a square handle and huge baseplate and head? Seems similar to that design.
This is the only other razor I remember with a magnetic head...

Mag-T
1705585125854.png

Sometimes the number of variables in shaving drives me crazy with hundreds of different blade options. But sometimes you hit gold. This Green 7-Oclock in the gen2 lvl2 was a very sweet combo.
Imagepipe_0.jpg

Regarding the Everyday start up, I'm getting the emails. Without naming him they clearly seem to be referencing Brian.
Imagepipe_0.jpg

I've said it elsewhere, but until Brian confirms himself that this new venture is his I don't buy it.
Buying the domain rights to an available website and having that forward to whatever site you want? Anyone can do that.
Sending out emails saying that someone is involved? Anyone can do that.
Listing an address that was affiliated with a previous company? Anyone can do that.

I don't think I'm the only one that looks at that product and that website and that style of communication and thinks that it bears no resemblance to Brian's history. But maybe/hopefully I'm wrong and we've all just been blessed with the opportunity to buy something new from him without any communication from him that he was doing it...

I wish Brian would give the CAD files or whatever to Jake from YatesPrecision, and let Jake manufacture his razors for some kind of royalty. That would be a win-win.

If anyone here knows how to get in contact with Brian please suggest this to him.
From the way it sounded on another forum @jesseix seems to know Brian personally and has sent him a message asking about the validity of the story behind this razor and is still waiting on an answer...

From the way it sounded on another forum @jesseix seems to know Brian personally and has sent him a message asking about the validity of the story behind this razor and is still waiting on an answer...

I actually don’t know him, or have his contact info unfortunately. I’ll definitely reach out to him directly to ask though if someone wants to pass it along. I’m just incredibly skeptical of this whole thing and I hope people aren’t getting duped into buying these razors on some scam marketing that they bought into.

I’d actually be really interested to see what the shipping origin shows on the tracking numbers that people have received from their orders. That will provide info on where they’re actually being shipped from (versus this website just listing a previous Charcoal production facility address on it, which again anyone could do).

I wish Brian would give the CAD files or whatever to Jake from YatesPrecision, and let Jake manufacture his razors for some kind of royalty. That would be a win-win.

If anyone here knows how to get in contact with Brian please suggest this to him.

I don't, but then I have no problems with WCS Hyperion, it's one of my favorite razors. I think it looks, feels and fit/finish is better than both the 921-H and Winning2 I've bought from Yates.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I've said it elsewhere, but until Brian confirms himself that this new venture is his I don't buy it.
Buying the domain rights to an available website and having that forward to whatever site you want? Anyone can do that.
Sending out emails saying that someone is involved? Anyone can do that.
Listing an address that was affiliated with a previous company? Anyone can do that.

I don't think I'm the only one that looks at that product and that website and that style of communication and thinks that it bears no resemblance to Brian's history. But maybe/hopefully I'm wrong and we've all just been blessed with the opportunity to buy something new from him without any communication from him that he was doing it...
After a while of this, I was curious if anyone knows what happened next.

After a while of this, I was curious if anyone knows what happened next.
I'd like to know too. For whatever reason, seemed like Brian closed up shop rather quickly back then, and even removed his Instagram account too. Many took it that he basically retired from making razors.

Not sure if this is what's going on, but it seems like this new Everyday Razor company has taken over the website domain and also is making their aluminum razors from the same former facility that Brian was using. Feels like they are riding on Brian's coat tails on this one.

My memory is rusty, but I don't remember if Brian started out in Washington and then moved to Oregon or was it the other way around?

I remember after he moved and set up shop, it took a few months for things to get up and running, and at the time he was making progress reports/updates every so often on his Instagram page. I also vaguely remember him struggling to make a decision to also move his old equipment to the new shop or start afresh.

Anyway, I don't think Brian is involved with this new venture and it looks like an interesting case that probably isn't legal, so to speak. Unless Brian sold off his company and is consulting on the side with this new one but I doubt it.

Lastly, I do agree he should if possible sell off his designs so that another razor company can continue making Charcoal Goods.

ERS4

I'd like to know too. For whatever reason, seemed like Brian closed up shop rather quickly back then, and even removed his Instagram account too. Many took it that he basically retired from making razors.

Not sure if this is what's going on, but it seems like this new Everyday Razor company has taken over the website domain and also is making their aluminum razors from the same former facility that Brian was using. Feels like they are riding on Brian's coat tails on this one.

My memory is rusty, but I don't remember if Brian started out in Washington and then moved to Oregon or was it the other way around?

I remember after he moved and set up shop, it took a few months for things to get up and running, and at the time he was making progress reports/updates every so often on his Instagram page. I also vaguely remember him struggling to make a decision to also move his old equipment to the new shop or start afresh.

Anyway, I don't think Brian is involved with this new venture and it looks like an interesting case that probably isn't legal, so to speak. Unless Brian sold off his company and is consulting on the side with this new one but I doubt it.

Lastly, I do agree he should if possible sell off his designs so that another razor company can continue making Charcoal Goods.
Also as a creator.
I'm on the less inclined side of Brian completely selling out everything about Charcoal goods.

In particular, Brian graduated from the Department of Art, and his works are like extensions of himself. Once his works are handed over to others to be made or delivered to the hands of users, the works are no longer directly related to him, just like What Roland Barthes calls "the death of the author", the work is still a work, it just becomes another interpretive existence.

Of course, for shaving enthusiasts, it is definitely a pity that Charcoal goods are missing from the world of wet shaving, but I would rather it be the original Charcoal goods.
I feel it would be an aesthetic sacrilege to hand over a design to another manufacturer that cannot discern visual beauty. Although their razors may be effective.

Everything still depends on Brian's decision. After all, he still has to make a living.

I would just like to point out that a user by the name of "therealbriantwilley" made a post on another US Forum (not sure if I'm allowed to link it here, or not), on the thread Vendor "Everyday Shaving" - page 3 post #26. Make of that what you will.

I would just like to point out that a user by the name of "therealbriantwilley" made a post on another US Forum (not sure if I'm allowed to link it here, or not), on the thread Vendor "Everyday Shaving" - page 3 post #26. Make of that what you will.
Thanks for this. I guess it answers a lot of the questions some of us had in earlier posts.

An excerpt of what was said over there:

"The website, branding, marketing, and order processing is out-sourced. Beyond designing the razor and telling the team to sell 200 a month I'm largely not involved. If they start hitting my sales target on a regular basis I'd consider offering different options or bringing back some of the Charcoal Goods designs."

IMO, he needs a business consultant to hit his targets.

Also as a creator.
I'm on the less inclined side of Brian completely selling out everything about Charcoal goods.

In particular, Brian graduated from the Department of Art, and his works are like extensions of himself. Once his works are handed over to others to be made or delivered to the hands of users, the works are no longer directly related to him, just like What Roland Barthes calls "the death of the author", the work is still a work, it just becomes another interpretive existence.

Of course, for shaving enthusiasts, it is definitely a pity that Charcoal goods are missing from the world of wet shaving, but I would rather it be the original Charcoal goods.
I feel it would be an aesthetic sacrilege to hand over a design to another manufacturer that cannot discern visual beauty. Although their razors may be effective.

Everything still depends on Brian's decision. After all, he still has to make a living.
I respectfully disagree. I would like to see his legacy to continue to live on. That to me, could be an ongoing "extension of him" as you've put it.

Sure, his razors can be considered works of, but it ain't no Mona Lisa! If art can be openly interpreted, this would be my take.

ERS4

I respectfully disagree. I would like to see his legacy to continue to live on. That to me, could be an ongoing "extension of him" as you've put it.

Sure, his razors can be considered works of, but it ain't no Mona Lisa! If art can be openly interpreted, this would be my take.
When Guerlain was sold to LVMH, perfume fans lamented that "Guerlain is dead." Any future ideas will no longer be the creation of the Guerlain family themselves and may be influenced by the Group's financial policies. But yes, the company and its products survived.

As I said before, the decision lies with Brian. The current fact is that he has decided to let these classics become history, but there may be a turnaround in the future.
And our agreement or disagreement belongs only to ourselves ;)

Happy shave.

The demand is largely still there. He should capitalize on it. Bring back the classic handles and designs and it will sell.

Top Bottom