What's new

Blind test #9 - Personna Med vs Lab

Has anyone ordered from this seller? I just ordered a box for $12.99 shipped. The overwhelming positive reviews were enough to convince me, but it would be nice to hear some positive feedback from the folks here, whom I trust more than random eBay people.

I've ordered from them twice. Recommended.

Has anyone ordered from this seller? I just ordered a box for $12.99 shipped. The overwhelming positive reviews were enough to convince me, but it would be nice to hear some positive feedback from the folks here, whom I trust more than random eBay people.

I've ordered from them 3 or 4 times. No problems.

Interesting test..... Experience points to high end blades from a single manufacturer being (likely) the same under the wrapper, and you confirmed it in the case of one of the more contentious pairings in the shaving world. Thanks a million! I'll look for a good deal on 100 Labs before your test drive also drives up the retail price....😄

Interesting test..... Experience points to high end blades from a single manufacturer being (likely) the same under the wrapper, and you confirmed it in the case of one of the more contentious pairings in the shaving world. Thanks a million! I'll look for a good deal on 100 Labs before your test drive also drives up the retail price....

See the above link for a good deal on them. $12.99 shipped for a box of 100.

Interesting test..... Experience points to high end blades from a single manufacturer being (likely) the same under the wrapper, and you confirmed it in the case of one of the more contentious pairings in the shaving world. Thanks a million! I'll look for a good deal on 100 Labs before your test drive also drives up the retail price....

It's been one of the more interesting pairings, but I'm wondering if we are reading more into the results than would be factual. Both Personna and the two intended markets for these two labels seem to feel that they are not alike. Doesn't have to be two different blades. What is considered "Laboratory grade" and what's considered "Hospital grade", are nothing alike. I've read the theories about an extra wash being the difference, and don't buy it. I work for a manufacturer and have been a manufacturer, and have done work for medical facilities, and the big differences so far as I know between Lab grade and Hospital grade is sterility, which may or may not apply here, and quality control standards, which always do with Hospital grade. Quality Control is a lot more expensive than people realize. Its not just the manpower to inspect the production process and final product, but the rejected product, as well as the normally lower production rate required to comply with more stringent QC requirements. Running production equipment slower means less product yield per hour, and yields more consistent quality, but also higher overhead costs per unit.
You read of a lot more bad blades with less expensive product than with the higher end blades. I've used a lot of Med Preps without a single bad blade, and haven't read of anything but praises for this blade, but you do read of bad labs. Not to say the Lab isn't a better deal, especially in view of this test result, but in my experience nothing is free, and nobody sells the same exact product for half the price unless there's a reason. The medical profession pays a premium for what's called "Medical grade" product, and they know it, but there's a reason. There's always a reason.

Last edited:
Thats easily the most logical stance on this whole situation of labs vs meds that I've ever read. It would make sense that both blades might be made on the same machine, in the same manner, using the same materials but the med is held to a higher level of QC. Running the machines slower, ditching blades that don't measure up to the highest level of scrutiny, sterility, etc. All that leads to less product and thus a higher cost.

Unless ASR decides to give us a reason, I'm going to believe that. I wish I could get through to them, my office is walking distance to the plant.

Thanks for another great test. Because of this thread I ordered 100 labs last week and have been using them for the last four days!

Thats easily the most logical stance on this whole situation of labs vs meds that I've ever read. It would make sense that both blades might be made on the same machine, in the same manner, using the same materials but the med is held to a higher level of QC. Running the machines slower, ditching blades that don't measure up to the highest level of scrutiny, sterility, etc. All that leads to less product and thus a higher cost.

Unless ASR decides to give us a reason, I'm going to believe that. I wish I could get through to them, my office is walking distance to the plant.

It would be really interesting if they would offer some comment on the relative characteristics of the two blades, but my experience is that manufacturers are very careful about discussing quality standards. If they confirm making some product to higher standards, they will also have confirmed that they make most to lesser standards. It's a no-win discussion for them.

I think I'm in love with the lab blades. Very comfortable and smooth BBS shave. No irritation or blood. I've had three great shaves with my first lab so far, going to see how far I can push it while still getting comfortable shaves.

I also like the packaging. Much less wasteful than the Astras that I've been using. Just a box with 100 blades wrapped in a single piece of paper. No wax to gunk up my razors, either.

These blades get my seal of approval.

I have ordered from this seller too. They are the real deal. A bonus for me because I believe she is in Queens and I am in Brooklyn the turn around time was 18 hours.So if you live in the tri state area you get fast shipping too

I have ordered from this seller too. They are the real deal. A bonus for me because I believe she is in Queens and I am in Brooklyn the turn around time was 18 hours.So if you live in the tri state area you get fast shipping too

I received my order a few days ago. I've been using one of the blades and it's definitely the real deal.

I would recommend this seller to anyone else looking for cheap Labs. I ordered them Saturday night, they shipped Monday, and I had them on Thursday. New York to Texas in three days. Not bad for a total price of $12.99.

Top Bottom