What's new

Blade Angle - some help for newbies

Excellent--I want to echo those who applauded this post. It really helped me to realize that the blade is cutting through the hair, not scraping the face. Thanks

Thanks for the pics. Just what I need to see before I put the blade to my face. Number 8 looks like my golf stroke.

Thought I would give this another bump--it was linked elsewhere yesterday and I found it tremendously helpful. I realized I was at about a #5 scrape, so today I focused on maintaining a #6 glide. Couldn't believe the difference in comfort during the shave and lack of irritation afterward. I need lots more practice to commit the angle to muscle memory, but my technique has taken a big step forward! Thanks!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I added a link for this thread in the FAQ in Wiki...

Excellent article! Really helps seeing these pics.
I have always been unable to go XTG on my neck, always getting nicks in that area, and and then when I saw this thread, I realized that I was probably not even aware of the blade angle I was using. At least not as much as I should have been. Now I'm better able to shave this area and feel more confident about mapping out the various directions of growth that I have there.

Many thanks!

Thanks doesnotcompute so much.

The photographic approach was just the thing I needed. Those are really nice photos too. Well done. :thumbup:

I have to say that the majority of time that I used this razor, (Long Handled Classic), left my skin clearly irritated, mostly because it was extremely difficult to find the proper angle, even with "a B&B 'education'" :blush:

Until this morning. :badger:

Like moses/Mo who you may or may not have "known," said to a new member here:

I know you don't want to hear this, but I think it's your technique.

For those of us who are new to DE shaving, I would suggest going at it BACKWARDS from 8 to 1 to establish a good shaving angle. Start on the curved part of the top and gradually rotate down to establish contact with your face. I think we would all rather err on the side of being closer to 8 than the other way around!

I suggest going the other way. When you are skating the razor along on the dome, the safety bar is not in contact with your skin. The razor's edge is leading.

Starting with the safety bar in contact, when you do reach the angle where the blade cuts whiskers, the safety bar is leading, and the blade edge is trailing. This keeps the skin between the safety bar and the blade edge flat. I think you have more control that way.

I suggest going the other way. When you are skating the razor along on the dome, the safety bar is not in contact with your skin. The razor's edge is leading.

Starting with the safety bar in contact, when you do reach the angle where the blade cuts whiskers, the safety bar is leading, and the blade edge is trailing. This keeps the skin between the safety bar and the blade edge flat. I think you have more control that way.

Hello :).
That´s the only correct way to put the razor to / on the dkin because the savety bar was constrcted for. The razor head shoukd never come on the skin because so it can trag ...

Excuse my bad english - i´m a german :blushing:.

Regards

Andreas

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hello :).
That´s the only correct way to put the razor to / on the dkin because the savety bar was constrcted for. The razor head shoukd never come on the skin because so it can trag ...

Excuse my bad english - i´m a german :blushing:.

Regards

Andreas

Welcome to B&B!

Hello.
Thank you for the welcome.
It even surprised me the Mantic in a video with the plane should first put on the lid and then lower the handle to the bottom - that would, for Ex. adjustable safety razor ineffective in its effect because the foam edge always in the air would be ...

MfG

Andreas

Last edited:
Top Bottom