What's new

Blade Angle - some help for newbies

This the kind of topic that makes you slap your forehead and say "hell yeah!"... we know this, read this but this pic tutorial is epic. Vote for a sticky!

this is awesome!! thanks you. I've been struggling trying to figure this out.
One question though...

When I go ATG my blade just skips off my stuble and its hard to keep the razor on my face and cut the hair. I've used good prep and done a couple passes (enough passes so anyting other than ATG will not reduce the beard any further). Any ideas?

I place my Parker on a flat surface and checked the position of the razor at different angles. I achieved the perfect position (i.e. picture #6) with the safety bar not touching the surface. I guess this varies from razor to razor...and with some the bending of the razor is adjustable. I think that for every new razor that I get I will do the flat surface test to see what angle I need to shoot for to obtain perfection (again i.e. picture #6). Cheers!!!

Just a quick suggestion, it is likely just the photographer coming out in me, but use a smaller aperture next time, so that more of the subject (razor is in focus). And also, rotating the images 90 degrees clockwise may make it easier to visually understand the blade angle against the face. Great post!

Thanks for the photos! It will improve my DE shaving, and give me a better idea of how to use my new straight edge.

Glad I saw this thread. Made me realise that getting the right blade angle is not the only objective. You also need to decide from which direction you are going to approach that angle / which way you would prefer your errors in blade angle to be.

Today I experimented with shallow blade angles (steep handle angle.) It's a very odd sensation allowing the top cap to rub against your face and controlling how close the blade gets. I found it worked well in places where going ATG is normally harsh.

Somebody said it's not right having the safety bar elevated off the skin as it's not doing its job. But an alternative view is to think of safety bars like the training wheels on a bike - they are doing their job best when they are not making contact.

Great post, thanks for making the effort. A picture indeed paints a thousand words and a visual is really helpful considering the sharp edge we expose ourselves too in this activity.

Just had my first shave on my new/used micromatic. I agree its always about the angle. Luckily ,only one weeper.
Got the hang of this old SE halfway through the scrape.But I'm completely open to advice, pointers, tips etc. So feel free to kibbitz and criticize.
Just remember I'm a former Marine and heavily armed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom