What's new

Better AC format razor than Yaqui Excalibur?

My personal favorite, for ease of use, is the Occam Oren. It's very much a love it or hate it platform, but it is incredibly comfortable and efficient. Because the blade "floats" it is far more forgiving than pretty much any other AC platform.
Those appear to be all sold out. The look is a bit odd to me but, sometimes those odd items are that way because they are better than the standard versions of the product.

It is an odd duck. It's very much like the classic Schicks- so boringly efficient, it delivers an excellent shave with almost no thought.

I think you will like the Hawk. I liked the more aggressive V3, but any of them are a delight. With the AC blades, they are simply so sharp & rigid, it's more a matter of finding a handle you like with head dimensions you're comfortable with. Very little drama about angle, exposure, etc., the Asylum RX V1 being the notable exception.

I love my ATT SE2. Aggressive, with lots of blade feel, it requires your full attention. Every other SE I've owned has felt mild by comparison. Still, after recently selling my RX original version, I'd like another SE in the den. Maybe a Vector OC since my first one was a SB.

Have any of you found near instant intuitive blade angle within a shave or two with any of these razors the likes of a vintage GEM or Schick where by putting the flat of the top of the razor on your face will have you shaving irritation free and finding slightly more efficiency is no more complicated then by bringing the handle down by a few degrees?

It seems the razors I struggle to get the best results from are those that have a radiused cap leading into the blade. I get really nice, low-fuss shaves from my vintage Schicks and GEM (Bullet Tip-Shovehead w/Guiding Eye).

I often struggled with easily finding the angle with my DEs - part of the reason why I unloaded all of them except one slant (Yaqi Slope) since the slants have been super easy to find the sweet spot.

My Yaqi Romulus is simply awesome. It doesn't have the "flat" you mentioned but, it is flat though not very wide.

I find the angle to 'dial it in' to be easy to figure out and the shaves are awesome!

Have any of you found near instant intuitive blade angle within a shave or two with any of these razors the likes of a vintage GEM or Schick where by putting the flat of the top of the razor on your face will have you shaving irritation free and finding slightly more efficiency is no more complicated then by bringing the handle down by a few degrees?

Hard to go wrong with the Mongoose, although sadly out of production but there was one on the BST

IMG_0671.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My Yaqi Romulus is simply awesome. It doesn't have the "flat" you mentioned but, it is flat though not very wide.

I find the angle to 'dial it in' to be easy to figure out and the shaves are awesome!
Comparing it to the Yaqi Excalibur are they similar shaves or is the Romulus more aggressive?

Comparing it to the Yaqi Excalibur are they similar shaves or is the Romulus more aggressive?

I find the Romulus smoother with a gentle feeling, but a bit more aggressive in removing the whiskers. I think the weight and high polish slickness is what I am noticing because it does shave better for me with less effort and I dare say gets a bit closer with the second pass. I wouldn't call it aggressive though because it has zero irritation, weepers, etc. if I do a reasonable job running it. This is probably partly due to the razor weight doing the work versus the pressure from my hand with the lighter Excaliburs. The handle is a big improvement as well but, I would like a bit of knurling or a barber pole on it for more texture. The Romulus is well-balanced so, very nimble on my face too!

To me, it is easily worth the extra ~$50 over an Excalibur because it shaves so much nicer for me. Zero burn with aftershaves too. Two passes will easily get me to a DFS or better depending on my prep and how much I hurry with the shave.

As noted elsewhere, the matte Excalibur and I didn't really get along too well. Adding the Chromed head helped. The Romulus kicks it up to the next level, at least for me.

Ron R

I find the Romulus smoother with a gentle feeling, but a bit more aggressive in removing the whiskers. I think the weight and high polish slickness is what I am noticing because it does shave better for me with less effort and I dare say gets a bit closer with the second pass. I wouldn't call it aggressive though because it has zero irritation, weepers, etc. if I do a reasonable job running it. This is probably partly due to the razor weight doing the work versus the pressure from my hand with the lighter Excaliburs. The handle is a big improvement as well but, I would like a bit of knurling or a barber pole on it for more texture. The Romulus is well-balanced so, very nimble on my face too!

To me, it is easily worth the extra ~$50 over an Excalibur because it shaves so much nicer for me. Zero burn with aftershaves too. Two passes will easily get me to a DFS or better depending on my prep and how much I hurry with the shave.

As noted elsewhere, the matte Excalibur and I didn't really get along too well. Adding the Chromed head helped. The Romulus kicks it up to the next level, at least for me.
Good to know, I use my excalibur all the time with the Yaqi Milano 316 SSP handle + a Schick proline blade & it gives one of the best shaves of my 60+ different razors I own. I have to agree with you on the aluminum handle the excalibur came with, it worked but I did not fancy it.
I like the looks of the Romulus and would of bought it years ago possibly, will have to look for a sale possibly down the road and then reconsider, content for know!
Glad your happy with the Romulus SE razor and it works well is all that matters to the owner.
You would think Yaqi could build some nice razor cases for their upgraded Stainless steel models of lately, Wood with good hinges & magnet clasp would be a great seller I'm thinking.

I just finished a week with my new Vector OC. I like it a lot more than the SB version I had a few years ago, and I prefer it to the RX, but I can't say it has overtaken the SE2. It is incredibly maneuverable and easy to place in tough to get to places. It is also very light. One thing that I will say about it that is better than the ATT is the finish. Even the so-called machined finish has a nice shine. I would say it is more of a nicely brushed finish. It is a great razor, if you can get used to how light it is, and it didn't hurt that I got 20% off from Blackland.

I like the Yaqi Excalibur SE 50mm the way it is, I get some excellent shaves with it 95% > of the time. Its a tame mid range. I bought the shiny chrome one and bought a few extra ones when on sale(could not resist for the price) for back ups. You can buy the head on sale for $3-5 US and then put on a Milano polished 316 SS handle (bought on sale) and that is a nice looking razor and performs very well for my shaving needs.
Where can you find the heads for the Excalibur?

Ron R

Where can you find the heads for the Excalibur?
I find them on Ali_xpress, Type in Yaqi and then find a product of Yaqi and click on it and it will take you to their factory site and look for a heading razor heads (left side or top headings, they changed the site a little) and you will find a the razor head there, they are affordable (Zamak ones) they work well and get the chrome polished one is what I recommend they have a nice glide because of the polished finish.
Hope this helps you!

I find them on Ali_xpress, Type in Yaqi and then find a product of Yaqi and click on it and it will take you to their factory site and look for a heading razor heads (left side or top headings, they changed the site a little) and you will find a the razor head there, they are affordable (Zamak ones) they work well and get the chrome polished one is what I recommend they have a nice glide because of the polished finish.
Hope this helps you!
Awesome thanks! Can you use a different handle on them? The thread looks off.

Ron R

Awesome thanks! Can you use a different handle on them? The thread looks off.
For sure, any handle with 5mm Dia x .8mm pitch which is most modern handles today! I have tried about 3 or 4 handles and like my Yaqi Milano 316 SS polished seems to feel and perform well. Try and use your favorite handle and give it a whirl I suggest.

Hi! Does anybody know if a Tibam or Timeless Titanium handle can fit with La Faulx Razor.? Did anybody tried La Faulx with medium aggresive plate(+) Thanks..I m waitin for quick answer because I want to buy a La Faulx without the original handle

Top Bottom