What's new

Better AC format razor than Yaqui Excalibur?

I like the AC format so far but, the Yaqi Excalibur leaves a bit to be desired. The handle is terrible IMHO and the threads on the head are a bit rough with my example. Considering they don't go all the way around, I expect this razor to have a short lifespan relative to most razors.

What are the better AC blade format razors available today that aren't super expensive (>$100)? I do have a gently used Hawk V2 coming so, I will use that some before spending a lot more money on a new razor for this blade format.

I would say for a new razor the Hawk V3 is the least expensive at ~$70. There is also the option to add additional plates (OC & A) for ~$38 each.

I find the standard plate very smooth. The "A" plate is a little more efficient but still quite smooth. The "OC" is the most efficient but there is more blade feel and slightly less smoothness.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Are there any meaningful changes between a Hawk V2 and V3?

The V2 is aluminum, has posts on the top of its head, only one choice of baseplate, a thicker cap, and less exposure than any of the V3 razors.

The V3OC is stainless, bottom loading, and has Wallace and Gromit teeth. I’m told the V3 standard is the best of the bunch, but I already have the V3OC…

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like the Yaqi Excalibur SE 50mm the way it is, I get some excellent shaves with it 95% > of the time. Its a tame mid range. I bought the shiny chrome one and bought a few extra ones when on sale(could not resist for the price) for back ups. You can buy the head on sale for $3-5 US and then put on a Milano polished 316 SS handle (bought on sale) and that is a nice looking razor and performs very well for my shaving needs.

Looking online the excalibur is the same as the Raster (Which is what I bought it as). I personally accept that it is a little finicky and not as precision machined as other razors. To be clear, it is somewhat of a clone of the Blackland Vector which was the first razor to implement the very narrow and sleek head design. I have the Yaqi raster and a Razorock hawk and I like both but I actually prefer the Yaqi. The lighter handle and milder geometry is more to my preference. The hawk V3 is a solid medium efficiency AC razor and will last forever. Its machined steel and quite high quality as well. The threading and posts for the blade are perfect on mine. I've heard that the vector is a high medium aggression razor with significantly more blade feel. I cannot corroborate this personally however. I'm sure that there are others but all the AC razors I've found that aren't yaqi or razorock are quite expensive and usually known to be quite aggressive.

The Bullgoose Shaving Asylums are $120 which is a bit more than I would ideally like to spend but, it is closer to the Hawk with the recent price reduction.

How do these work out compared to something like the Hawk? The looks seem a bit odd to me for some reason which may or may not have any effect on the shave.

Depends what you are looking for. The Hawk V3A was a bit too mild for me, but with a Super Pro it works great. I haven’t tried the other versions, but if they would be less efficient they would not work for me. The open comb sounds a bit too much like its Jaws DE counterpart which was harsh and unpleasant. The RXV2 is now my favorite razor, but you will pay for improper technique in blood. Once mastered though, it is the smoothest most efficient shave of any razor I’ve tried. And at $120, it qualifies as one of the best values around. The Vector, probably the best engineered razor out there, is a bit more forgiving and a tad less efficient. But it is quite a bit more expensive than the price range you mentioned.

If you want a top performing, incredibly smooth and efficient AC razor:
Above The Tie X1 Slant!
Only issue is that you'd have to find one used since ATT are closing for good
at the end of this month. They no longer have stock!
You mentioned the Asylum Rx. I bought one a couple weeks ago when they were selling the discounted factory seconds and sold it a few days ago.
I didn't like anything about it (except the looks).
Another one that is excellent (if you like something on the milder side) is the Executive shaving
Claymore Evolution. Build quality is A-1 and it shaves very good. I sold mine because I found it too
mild but maybe you like that.

X-1:
full

Claymore:
full

Here is also a link to the Stando AC razor. Stando's are made in Poland and are fantastic. I own one of their DE's
and haven't owned the AC (I will soon) but I've read great things about it:

Good luck!

If the Yaqi Excalibur heads go on sale, I'd appreciate a message in case I miss the SPAM in my inbox. ;)

I think I need a shiny chrome one. :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use the Claymore Evolution around my nose for every shave. It is a mild razor for my face but I can still get 10 to 12 hour shaves with it. The ATT X1 gives me 12 hour shaves everytime.

At the moment, the only two AC razors on my radar are the La Faulx Rudy mentioned and the newly released Wolfman WR4. I need to wait for some reviews of the WR4 so I can select the right gap... and see how much they love it.... Both are too expensive for me to take a risk without knowing which base plate to buy.

I use the Claymore Evolution around my nose for every shave. It is a mild razor for my face but I can still get 10 to 12 hour shaves with it. The ATT X1 gives me 12 hour shaves everytime.

At the moment, the only two AC razors on my radar are the La Faulx Rudy mentioned and the newly released Wolfman WR4. I need to wait for some reviews of the WR4 so I can select the right gap... and see how much they love it.... Both are too expensive for me to take a risk without knowing which base plate to buy.
Thanks to the many comments of numerous B&B members, including Phoenixkh, I also have a Claymore Evolution and an ATT X1. I am a daily three pass shaver and both razors give me a comfortable 10-12 hour shave. I don’t have much experience with high end razors, but the Claymore and the X1 are solid, well made tools which should provide long service. I would add them to the list if they fit your budget.

I have a La Faulx and an Asylum. The La Faulx from Durdan is excellent, and I get great shaves from it. The Asylum is way too aggressive for me, so I will sell it soon.
Where do I find the La Faulx and what is the normal "street" price? My attempt to go to their homepage was unsuccessful.

Where do I find the La Faulx and what is the normal "street" price? My attempt to go to their homepage was unsuccessful.

Mods if this is against the rules please delete it

Mods if this is against the rules please delete it

Thanks! I tried this website a few hours ago and got errors. It seems to work now.

The La Faulx in the standard plate/gap is my favorite right now, but loaded with a Feather Pro Super. I am planning to add a few more plates for higher efficiency with non Pro Super blades. I enjoy the La Faulx so much that I ended up selling my Vector. I have also had the Hawk V2 and V3, in OC and Standard plates.

The Asylum V2 is an incredible shaver. It is aggressive, but dramatically different than V1.

My personal favorite, for ease of use, is the Occam Oren. It's very much a love it or hate it platform, but it is incredibly comfortable and efficient. Because the blade "floats" it is far more forgiving than pretty much any other AC platform.

Top Bottom