What's new

Better AC format razor than Yaqui Excalibur?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
One last question..Do you have standard plate or Medium +? How is Medium + in case that you have it..thanks!
I missed this thread updates and missed your question.... It might be too late now. I have the "Classic" base plate. It isn't too mild for me. I've shaved with 2 days growth.. and 5 days growth.. no issues. But as they say, YMMV... of course.

Well after reading a few reviews and owning the Excalibur I pushed the buy button on the Yaqi Romulus polished version. Because I ordered some other supplies for sharpening my kitchen knifes and a wall clock mechanism at Ali_press that gave me a big discount coupons + Yaqi small $ coupon on Black Friday sale (11.11/23) that gave me the push to try one ($58.53 Can or $42.40US or about 40% discount). That is all I need is another beautiful razor :yikes::surrender::smile:! Should be back in a few weeks when it arrives.
I was tempted to buy it too as I really enjoy Excalibur head, however I went to buy a De razor. Out of budget. Next year maybe. Let us know how you find the Romolus head when you get it.

The La Faulx in the standard plate/gap is my favorite right now, but loaded with a Feather Pro Super. I am planning to add a few more plates for higher efficiency with non Pro Super blades. I enjoy the La Faulx so much that I ended up selling my Vector. I have also had the Hawk V2 and V3, in OC and Standard plates.
Hi Dave,

Would you still rate the classic plate/gap as your favorite La Faulx? Looking into one that is efficient and mild with Feather Pro (no guard).

Also metal, Ti worth it or not necessary for this razor?

Thank you,

Mike

Hi Dave,

Would you still rate the classic plate/gap as your favorite La Faulx? Looking into one that is efficient and mild with Feather Pro (no guard).

Also metal, Ti worth it or not necessary for this razor?

Thank you,

Mike
Hey Mike,

I have only had the classic plate to date. The ++ was next on my list but that was interrupted by a purchase of the Vestige. Regardless, I still think the classic plate offers the most vesatility and comfort. For my needs, the additional exposure of the Feather Pro Super is required when combined with the classic plate (although I seem to always be at the upper bands of efficiency). Even with the Pro Super the result is comfort and smoothness (somewhat modulated by angle and slight adjustments for riding the cap). From memory, the more typical exposure of a Feather Pro offered incremental benefits on smoothness.

Regarding Ti, I do think there is an incremental benefit when considering the La Faulx, but it is not transformational. I found it provided improvement in comfort (at least at the extreme end with the Pro Super) and maneuverability. That is all based on fortunate timing that allowed sampling Ti and SS variants from overlapping pass arounds. I plan to acquire an additional copy of the La Faulx in Ti and make it my primary, with the current SS becoming backup (although probably focusing on a Vestige backup first). However, I would be content with SS if that was the only option.

Hope everything is well and you are finding time to enjoy the holidays,
Dave

Top Bottom