What's new

Bay Rum Suggestions

@Big Jim

It's hard to love bay rum without the clove scent. It's a basic element.

But. I have experienced a number of bay rum scents and to me, Stirling Soap bay rum has the least clove to it.

BUT! It has the burn!! The burn is almost as intense as the Ogallala burn.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Get some vintage Avon Bay Rum. The best, and cheap, even if ya gotta get it off the Bay.... Captain's Choice is also awesome.

image.jpg
I bought a bottle of Cushings barbershop bay run at Warfleigh barbershop in Indy and it is fantastic. $20 for the bottle but it is great stuff. They have a website that you can order from too if you google it.

I'm no bay rum expert, but I really dig CC CO9T. I also like the ogallala variants. I bought the ogallala sample 5-pack which provides nice variety. All are long lasting for AS.

Funny I was just about to start a bay rum thread so I'll add it here. Prior to today my only experience with bay rum was a captain conk soap. I wasn't thrilled with it so I gave it away. Recently I felt like I was missing something from my collection so I decided to give another bay rum a try. One night, fueled by Vodka, I order Barrister & Mann Bay Rum, and a bottle of Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum. I couldn't be happier with the pair. The B&M was as unique as everything they make, and I instantly regretted ordering the clubman because I was afraid it would smell like the original Pinaud Clubman with cloves. In my opinion it's a winner.

It's only made in the fall from my understanding and in small batches and each batch is dated and signed, you could also mix up some Bootleggers Bay Rum made from several less expensive components.

Yes it is a very nice AS. This is one of my favorites. Unfortunately between price and shipping it is also seems like a pricey option at $26 plus I think it was $10 shipping, but not bad since you get 7.5 oz. It really doesn't cost much more than others per oz. I think it is only maybe $.30 more per oz than Captian's Choice. It is more whiskey not rum and some vanilla notes too. Has a bit of a sweeter scent. I also take small amounts and mix with a small amount of Captian's choice lime for a interesting lime bay rum type scent. I wish they had kept the reducer in the bottle. It is waxed with a cork. I pour a small amount in a old Captian's choice bottle with the reducer so I don't waste any. I just looked at the new listing and it sounds like they added a new glass dropper to cut down on mess and waste.

Yes it is a very nice AS. This is one of my favorites. Unfortunately between price and shipping it is also seems like a pricey option at $26 plus I think it was $10 shipping, but not bad since you get 7.5 oz. It really doesn't cost much more than others per oz. I think it is only maybe $.30 more per oz than Captian's Choice. It is more whiskey not rum and some vanilla notes too. Has a bit of a sweeter scent. I also take small amounts and mix with a small amount of Captian's choice lime for a interesting lime bay rum type scent. I wish they had kept the reducer in the bottle. It is waxed with a cork. I pour a small amount in a old Captian's choice bottle with the reducer so I don't waste any. I just looked at the new listing and it sounds like they added a new glass dropper to cut down on mess and waste.

I saw the high shipping so i added two to my checkout and shipping was only $12 so that worked out better but still pricey but less than Cap's Choice per oz for two bottles

I've tried many. I like Ogallala Bay Special Reserve (potent and heavy on cloves) and Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails. An excellent budget example is Wahl Barbershop.
However my favourite and the purest and most natural Bay Rum scent IMHO is without a doubt DR Harris.

Bootlegger's Bay Rum is a mix of Pinaud VIBR, Master BR, and Superior 70 BR. Many agree with me that it is the best you will get, and in the end, it will be the cheapest (per ounce) that you will find.

Captain's Choice is also one of my favorites.
This interest me. As you have so kindly answered several of my prior questions; is this "Bootleggers Bayrum" recipe laying about in the AS area? or is it just equal parts (1:1:1) with individual tinkering?

This interest me. As you have so kindly answered several of my prior questions; is this "Bootleggers Bayrum" recipe laying about in the AS area? or is it just equal parts (1:1:1) with individual tinkering?

Equal parts. Follow the Bootleggers link in my signature for all the recipes.

Sent from my Spider-Phone

I just started making my own. I found a few recipes on the interwebs and tweaked them slightly.

My standard recipe is:
6oz 92 proof spiced rum (kirkland brand)
6oz witch hazel (unscented thayers or Dickinsons depending if I want more alcohol)
25 drops bay leaf essential oil (pimenta racemosa) can add more later if desired
1/4 teas whole black peppercorns
8 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
Optional:
1/4 teaspoon all spice
Lime zest or orange zest or combo of both (2 limes or 1 medium orange)
1/2 teaspoon glycerin
2-4 oz everclear (if you want higher alcohol content)

Store in a bottle for a few weeks shaking every few days. Evaluate scent (can add more bay leaf oil or everclear at this point). Strain well with many layers of cheese cloth.

From that basic recipe I modify tweek as needed (e.g. more cloves, less witch hazel and add everclear).

Sounds very time consuming when I can just go to Stirlings site and order up a bottle and have it here in 2-3 days!!

Top Bottom