What's new

Bay Rum Suggestions

I really like Bay Rum and have a few different Bay Rum soaps. I have a bottle of Col Conk Bay Rum After Shave and really like it, but I'm a little put off by the $18.00 a bottle price. I don't like the heavy clove scent in Ogalla Bay Rum Soap so I don't think I want to try their after shave.

I've noticed Pinaud Bay Rum and Masters Bay Rum at what seems to be more reasonable pricing> how do they compare to Col Conk?

Captain's Choice has a fine variety of nice BRs...my fave is Cat O Nine Tails...robust!

But my favorite BR is Dominica...no frills...a simple classic...what BR should smell like IMHO. :001_cool:

Bootlegger's Bay Rum is a mix of Pinaud VIBR, Master BR, and Superior 70 BR. Many agree with me that it is the best you will get, and in the end, it will be the cheapest (per ounce) that you will find.

Captain's Choice is also one of my favorites.

I would start out with a bottle of Superior 70 or Dominica. A good solid baseline for a bay rum. The Superior 70 is dirt cheap and found on Amazon readily. Nothing in the two mentioned above except alcohol and oil of bay. That will give you an indication if you like bay rum without hurting the pocketbook.

Probably my favorite A/S. I like the Superior 70 and I really like Pinaud Virgin Island BR. I haven't had it in years, but Royall Bay Rhum was very good to my nose.

I wasn't keen on Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum - in fact I ended up mixing it 50/50 with Pinaud Clubman Musk (another AS hell) and created the "Bay Musk" Badger Blend

On the positive side, I think my 2 Bay Rums are very nice.....

HoneyBee Gardens Bay Rum - not a very obvious Bay Rum scent, in fact it reminds me a bit of Mennen Skin Bracer at first, but when as dries down, the Bay Rum scent comes through.
It contains witch hazel, so it's perfect for when you fancy a splash of Bay Rum, but daren't because you know anything else will burn and sting - HBG Bay Rum feels great even on irritated skin, leaves your face feeling like a million dollars and smells great into the bargain - what's not to like

Suavecito Bay Rum - more of a Bay Rum scent, and although the clove oil is there, it's nowhere near as obvious as it is in Pinaud Bay Rum.
I doesn't burn or sting like Pinaud Bay Rum either - in fact the burn/sting isn't any more or less severe than Old Spice
It soothes and feels great after dry down - and a bonus, the scent stays so a little goes a long way

If you really like bay rum, it's time to lock it in.

proxy.php

Bootlegger's for sure.

I've tried a few others as well and I definitely like the Stirling and Captain's Choice versions of Bay Rum.

My vote would be for Stirling Bay Rum. To me a true Bay Rum has the clove scent incorporated to be authentic. That being said doesn't mean it has to be overbearing, but just subtle enough would be good. Stirling has that in my opinion.

My own Bay Rum or Captains Choice Bay Rum. If you make your own Bay Rum and use essential oils and quality alcohol you'll invest much more than $18 initially but you'll have plenty of supplies to drive your investment cost down below $8.00 a bottle. The advantage of making your own is you control your brew.

I am not a huge bay rum fan, but I do like the Ogallala options. Some consider these "cowboy" bay rums, so I may not be a purist. Just be sure to shake them well before applying!

M

Member 113878

I really like Layrite #9.
Not too strong, and not too much clove.

Top Bottom