What's new

Bakelite razor

Hi alls.

I've purchased a old Merkur razor made in bakelite. Regarding his cleanliness, I'm wondering if is possible to boil the razors few minutes without damage. If is not possible to boil it, do you know the best way to clean the razor?

Thanks in advance. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Hi alls.

I've purchased a old Merkur razor made in bakelite. Regarding his cleanliness, I'm wondering if is possible to boil the razors few minutes without damage. If is not possible to boil it, do you know the best way to clean the razor?

Thanks in advance. :thumbup1:

The inside of a barrel hole blade wrapper says "The only razor you can dip into boiling water and use at once without burning the face or fingers."

This is in reference to a Wardonia bakelite razor.

One of the benefits of bakelite is that it doesn't melt (the East German handguards on my AK can attest to this,, after firing hundreds of rounds in rapid succession on a hot summer day).... This amount of heat chars wooden handguards....

Just be sure that it is truly bakelite.... Rub it briskly with your fingertips for about 20 seconds,, until you feel a lot of heat from the friction... Then,, smell the rubbed area.. If it is bakelite,, it should smell like formaldehyde....

As far as cleaning, use Scrubbing Bubbles or other mild cleanser. Soak for a few minutes, then scrub with an old toothbrush. Use the barbicide for disinfection.

One of the benefits of bakelite is that it doesn't melt (the East German handguards on my AK can attest to this,, after firing hundreds of rounds in rapid succession on a hot summer day).... This amount of heat chars wooden handguards....

Just be sure that it is truly bakelite.... Rub it briskly with your fingertips for about 20 seconds,, until you feel a lot of heat from the friction... Then,, smell the rubbed area.. If it is bakelite,, it should smell like formaldehyde....

NervousBreakdown, thanks for you very valuable advise but I don't know how the formaldehyde smels.

Sires, more clues to know if this Merkur's model is made in true bakelite: The razor's head reverse has the follow embossed letters:

MERKUR

D.R. PATENT Nº 483501​

Bee good with me :001_rolle. Thanks.

The scent of formaldehyde (embalming fluid) is hard to describe,, but I think you will be able to pick it out quite easily....

It's almost like a weird combo of rum/pipe tobacco/harsh chemical scents....

I'd advise against boiling bakelite... the molding temp is something like 350 deg F, but even if thermally safe, you may run the risk of a) degassing residual gasses / solvents (phenol & formaldehyde, both carcinogenic) from the bakelite and/or b) introducing heat-induced stress cracks. Not worth it, imho.

I'd advise against boiling bakelite... the molding temp is something like 350 deg F, but even if thermally safe, you may run the risk of a) degassing residual gasses / solvents (phenol & formaldehyde, both carcinogenic) from the bakelite and/or b) introducing heat-induced stress cracks. Not worth it, imho.

Thanks very much. I wont boil it. I've used a ultrasonic cleaner and a toothbrush. Very good results.

Top Bottom