What's new

Asylum RX razor

I debated with the same exact issue you're dealing with. And I just read through forums and reviews until I gave myself a headache. For me they were neck and neck to be honest. But I took a chance with the RX. When I made the purchase, I started doubting that I had made the right decision. When I got the razor in my hands and loaded a blade in it, and made that first pass, brother the doubt was gone. I haven't looked back since. $230 is nothing to sneeze at, but I'm glad I spent it. Not a single regret amigo.....
That is really great to hear. I have a full set of ATT plates now, so I suspect I'll end up with their SE's as well. But reading what you just wrote is really helpful. I might just have to pull the trigger on the RX 1st. The money is nothing to sneeze at but it's about what all of the really good ones cost nowadays.

I just purchased a Blackhawk. It should get to me in a couple of weeks. That will be my first experience with an SE. I'll see how that goes for a few shaves and then I'm sure I won't be able to resist and will have to pick up the RX.

I'm a little worried as I've read so much about its aggressiveness. I could easily use an H1 as my daily driver from the ATT line and have. But it is really aggressive. So I use the R1 which is actually quite mild for me. I would say I have a medium beard with somewhat sensitive skin. So the aggressiveness of the RX makes me just a little nervous.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of ATT. I have an Atlas S1, its my favorite DE. I agonized over which to get, RX or SE1. I don't have any regrets on choosing the RX...I did at first...but after a bit of a learning curve all is good. It sounds like the SE1 will be offered in aluminum someday. If that happens I might pop on one just to try it. I have a General which is also a very good SE option.

Makes me want to buy one. Just can't decide which one to get 1st. The ATT SE1/SE2 or the RX. Probably end up with them both.

I did buy both, and subsequently purchased an SE2 base plate.

They're both great razors, beautifully machined.

It has been said that the Rx shaves more like an injector and the SE shaves more like a DE.

I'd say that the Rx shaves more like a Cobra Classic and that is a Good Thing.

The Rx is definitely the more aggressive of the two.

I'm thinking about selling the ATT SE1/2. I'm most certainly not selling the Asylum Rx.

proxy.php

--Bob

I have the Asylum RX and an ATT SE1. Both great razors and if I was told I could only have one or the other for the rest of my life I would be more than happy. For me the ATT SE1 just has the edge over the RX, but we are all different.

That is really great to hear. I have a full set of ATT plates now, so I suspect I'll end up with their SE's as well. But reading what you just wrote is really helpful. I might just have to pull the trigger on the RX 1st. The money is nothing to sneeze at but it's about what all of the really good ones cost nowadays.

I just purchased a Blackhawk. It should get to me in a couple of weeks. That will be my first experience with an SE. I'll see how that goes for a few shaves and then I'm sure I won't be able to resist and will have to pick up the RX.

I'm a little worried as I've read so much about its aggressiveness. I could easily use an H1 as my daily driver from the ATT line and have. But it is really aggressive. So I use the R1 which is actually quite mild for me. I would say I have a medium beard with somewhat sensitive skin. So the aggressiveness of the RX makes me just a little nervous.

I can't say much about the ATT razors, or the Blackbird. Hell, I can't even tell you what the General can do. I don't own either one, never even tried them. But they all receive great reviews and compliments from those who have purchased and used them. I will not argue their place and status with those who use them and hold them in high regards. Now, that being said, here is my take and experience.

I own a few razors, from straights that were passed down from my father. Heirloom pieces you can say, but I do pull them out on occasion. Finest shaves a man can give himself, hands down. To me it's not even debatable. My fair share of DE's from a Gillette Old Type to my prized Merkur Vision and a few other adjustables I won't mention. Also have a OneBlade which is a great razor and happened to be my first SE I purchased. And it is a wonderful razor, the OneBlade that is. Perhaps the most mistake proof razor ever made. But, I still wanted something that could give me an awesome, straight like shave but in a third of the time. And I repeat, every razor I own gives me great shaves, BBS and all. That's where the RX came into play. I still wanted the straight like shave, with the convenience of a safety razor.

Long story short, the RX gives me that with the bonus of it being a masterpiece of a creation in my eyes. The AC style of blades are super sharp and stiff providing an unsurpassed shave in quality, smoothness, and longevity. Now the ATT, General and other SE razors use the AC style blade and perhaps provide an equally as good a shave as the RX. I can't answer that, and I probably never will. I have acquired a razor that simply and beautifully gives me what I wanted and desired, as PERFECT a shave on par with a straight. Is it aggressive? Yes, but an aggressive precision that in my stable of safety razors, none have equaled. Learning curve? As with anything there always is. But once you dial in your angle, technique and a relaxed touch with it, you are GOLD. In my book, the best modern SE made to date that I have tried. My only fear now is in getting bit again in acquiring another SE and having that said razor not live up to the standard that the RX has set. Indeed, that would be most disappointing.

So, that's wherein lies the conundrum. Everyone has an argument for their particular razor being the best since the discovery of steel. And to be truthful, no one is wrong. Everyone is different and prefers a specific razor for their needs on whatever it may be, sensitivity, tough beard, heavy or light, plastic vs steel. It's never ending.

To me, it has ended at the Asylum RX. No need for another.....

Regards, Gus
P.S. Need and want are 2 different things. I have no NEED for another razor, doesn't mean that I might not WANT to get another.:001_smile You know, for research and stuff....:ihih:

I'd say that the Rx shaves more like a Cobra Classic and that is a Good Thing.

The Rx is definitely the more aggressive of the two.

I'm thinking about selling the ATT SE1/2. I'm most certainly not selling the Asylum Rx.

--Bob
That is all anybody needs to know about the Rx Bob!

I honestly cannot find a single critiscism of it.
It's as near perfect a razor as I've yet encountered.

Today is shave #9 on the Kai Pro Touch blade in my RX. I cannot tell the difference between shave #9 and shave #1. Outstanding.

I was in the 2017 Sabbatical until yesterday. Yesterday morning I clicked on the "Latest Posts" tab of another shaving site, and up popped a four-minute old listing of an Asylum RX for sale, by a local gent no less. Yesterday afternoon I had a beer with him at a watering hole two blocks from his house, forked over the cash, and acquired the RX. Without naming names (David and Marcus), I blame this thread...

My 2017 exception was a Timeless .95 open comb, but the more I read about it, the more concerned I got that it would not give me the close, long-lasting shave I've begun to expect from my razors. The word "smooth" always makes me wary, as I generally expect to feel the blade in order to get a truly efficient shave. The word "aggressive" is what I look for. I see "aggressive" more in RX posts than Timeless posts.

I've only used the RX once, so I need to withhold judgment until I run it through the wringer. I can say my shave this morning was very "smooth," and not very "aggressive," although my face still feels as smooth as it does after seven hours with my aggressive favorites. We'll see...

I'm also feeling good about still being in the spirit of the restraint. With my twisted logic, I avoided the more expensive Timeless for a razor that I suspect I will like more.

@pbrmhl - Scott, congrats on your Asylum purchase! A very very fine piece of kit indeed, especially with a Prosuper blade. An excellent reason to break a Sabbatical...

@pbrmhl - Scott, congrats on your Asylum purchase! A very very fine piece of kit indeed, especially with a Prosuper blade. An excellent reason to break a Sabbatical...

Thanks, David! So far, I agree. I used the Kai mild blade this morning (he threw in an unused cartridge of them that was sent with the razor), which I've tried in my Alumigoose after receiving them in a PIF, but haven't been able to make work in that late model Alumigoose. My Alumigoose needs a Super Pro to function, but the RX worked just fine with the "mild." (I never thought I'd praise anything labeled "mild.)

I'm already grateful to you, Marcus, Bob and the other gents on this thread. This thread, among many others, is why I'm enjoying this hobby so much (and moving ultimately to the poor farm).

I was in the 2017 Sabbatical until yesterday. Yesterday morning I clicked on the "Latest Posts" tab of another shaving site, and up popped a four-minute old listing of an Asylum RX for sale, by a local gent no less. Yesterday afternoon I had a beer with him at a watering hole two blocks from his house, forked over the cash, and acquired the RX. Without naming names (David and Marcus), I blame this thread...

My 2017 exception was a Timeless .95 open comb, but the more I read about it, the more concerned I got that it would not give me the close, long-lasting shave I've begun to expect from my razors. The word "smooth" always makes me wary, as I generally expect to feel the blade in order to get a truly efficient shave. The word "aggressive" is what I look for. I see "aggressive" more in RX posts than Timeless posts.

I've only used the RX once, so I need to withhold judgment until I run it through the wringer. I can say my shave this morning was very "smooth," and not very "aggressive," although my face still feels as smooth as it does after seven hours with my aggressive favorites. We'll see...

I'm also feeling good about still being in the spirit of the restraint. With my twisted logic, I avoided the more expensive Timeless for a razor that I suspect I will like more.
It's a great razor the Rx. 2 shaves in for me and I knew that this would be the one to end it all for me. I have a few aggressive de's in my collection, but the Rx out guns them all. Smooth, aggressive yet efficient. It was a game changer for me. I've used the Kai Captain Original and the Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink blades and both have been superb with excellent durability. Give it a few shaves and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's a keeper in my book.......

It's a great razor the Rx. 2 shaves in for me and I knew that this would be the one to end it all for me. I have a few aggressive de's in my collection, but the Rx out guns them all. Smooth, aggressive yet efficient. It was a game changer for me. I've used the Kai Captain Original and the Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink blades and both have been superb with excellent durability. Give it a few shaves and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's a keeper in my book.......

Thanks, Gus. It's now been ten hours, and the shave is almost as close as it was when I splashed on my aftershave this morning. The shave was so easy and mild, I was skeptical. I'm starting to believe. Give me a few more shaves...

You guys are killing me here. I'm going to have to end up getting one it looks like.

I have ATT Se1 and new Se2 as well as general, but I must tell that RX slowly but surely is displacing them all including my old trusted Cobra. The Cobra like head combined with tongue and groove design implemented in stainless steel is just about perfect. I need to denote that after I read posts by other people, I paid attention that att se1 MIGHT have a little of alignment problem ( it was a very long thread about it here) so one need to be careful when tighten it. Se2 plate is better in that regard, BTW.

Tongue and groove design of RX completely eliminates any alignment problems, no need to fiddle/examine the head when tightening.

I'm now three shaves in with the RX, so it's still early. I continue to find it very mild, and don't fear cuts or weepers. (Now that I said that, I can expect a couple tomorrow morning...) Unlike my Mongoose and Alumigoose, I find the wide swath of the AC blade a plus, and have no trouble ATG on my neck. The shave is BBS for me, so far, for several hours, but late in the day it fades a bit more than when I use my aggressive DEs, e.g., R41 2011. In that respect, it's more like my Supply injector, MMOC, Schick E2 with a Chick, or Schick I, J or L with a vintage twin blade. Still analyzing... I plan to use a Feather Pro next, but given how long these darn AC blades last, I'm at least a week away.

I might be overstaying my welcome, but I had my best shave today with the RX. Until today, my only complaint was the longevity of the close shave I get with this razor. Apparently the stars aligned today, because more than 12 hours later, today's shave was about as long-lasting as I get with any razor. And the easy, non-threatening, smooth, close shave is tough to beat, if that's what you're into. I'm partial to aggressive razors with big blade feel, but this one's a keeper.

Top Bottom