What's new

Asylum RX razor

I might be overstaying my welcome, but I had my best shave today with the RX. Until today, my only complaint was the longevity of the close shave I get with this razor. Apparently the stars aligned today, because more than 12 hours later, today's shave was about as long-lasting as I get with any razor. And the easy, non-threatening, smooth, close shave is tough to beat, if that's what you're into. I'm partial to aggressive razors with big blade feel, but this one's a keeper.

Cha-Ching!! Shaves are money in the bank amigo. Blade feel is apparent, but it is so smooth and efficient. Like nothing else I have ever tried. I've gotten up to 18 hours on a single shave, post shave smoothness was awesome. This razor is a stubble and beard assasin! No other words to describe it. I hold the Rx in my hand with a relaxed grip, yet still controlling it's movement and angle and the great weight and balance does everything else. There's nothing else like it, period. This razor is just plain flat out killing it.
I've been in the Fixed Four 4 March for 3 straight weeks, and I had used it for a full week of shaves in February when I first received it. I got 3 shaves in that week on the first Kai Mild Pink AC blade, and left that blade in until today getting my last shave with it for a total of 14 smooth and excellent shaves only feeling the slightest of tugging on the WTG pass. I finished it and it was a very good shave, but I knew it was close to the end. I don't try to hang on to a blade once I feel a little tug or pull. But 14 shaves?! Amazing..... I would have been happy with half of that.
All I can say is that if I purchase another razor, it would just be for nostalgic possession or another Rx. Just in case, you never know.....:302:

I bought a second R41 2013 shortly after I bought my first, as I distrusted the Zamak and wanted a backup. Immediately after buying my first R41 2011, I began the search for a second, for the same reason. Similarly, after I acquired my first Ikon Shavecraft Tech, I bought a second, knowing that Ikon models can come and go, and naively thinking that aluminum might be fragile. With the tank-like quality of the RX, I know it will long outlast me, and have no need for another, thank God. Unless my wife decides to hock some gear to pay bills...

If today I had to choose only one razor to keep, it would be a close race between the Charcoal Goods Level 3 in antique brass and the RX. Let's hope I never have to decide. Glad to see we're in the same boat, Gus!

I bought a second R41 2013 shortly after I bought my first, as I distrusted the Zamak and wanted a backup. Immediately after buying my first R41 2011, I began the search for a second, for the same reason. Similarly, after I acquired my first Ikon Shavecraft Tech, I bought a second, knowing that Ikon models can come and go, and naively thinking that aluminum might be fragile. With the tank-like quality of the RX, I know it will long outlast me, and have no need for another, thank God. Unless my wife decides to hock some gear to pay bills...

If today I had to choose only one razor to keep, it would be a close race between the Charcoal Goods Level 3 in antique brass and the RX. Let's hope I never have to decide. Glad to see we're in the same boat, Gus!
Absolutely! Batten down the hatches, and lower the Boom!!!! Enjoy the smooth sailing....:boat: :pirate:

I've been smitten by razors before, but hope I never am again. It's time to stop--of course, it was time to stop many razors ago, but I would have missed out on this gem. But this time I mean it, I hope.

I've used a single razor nine shaves in a row, a feat I've not accomplished since my very early days with the Merkur 34C HD as my only non-cartridge razor. Tomorrow I'll use the RX again, and with the same blade I've used nine times, a Kai Titan Mild. In the next few days, I'll go to a Feather Pro, and then I hope I can go back to some of my other favorite razors, of which there are many. Nothing is as easy and close as the RX, in my memory. Of course, my memory is faulty, so I have to revisit the others. If my wife has hocked the others, I'll be okay with the RX...

I've been smitten by razors before, but hope I never am again. It's time to stop--of course, it was time to stop many razors ago, but I would have missed out on this gem. But this time I mean it, I hope.

I've used a single razor nine shaves in a row, a feat I've not accomplished since my very early days with the Merkur 34C HD as my only non-cartridge razor. Tomorrow I'll use the RX again, and with the same blade I've used nine times, a Kai Titan Mild. In the next few days, I'll go to a Feather Pro, and then I hope I can go back to some of my other favorite razors, of which there are many. Nothing is as easy and close as the RX, in my memory. Of course, my memory is faulty, so I have to revisit the others. If my wife has hocked the others, I'll be okay with the RX...

Difficult situation, but a good one to have. I to have multiple shaves with my Rx, 16 straight dating back to the last week of February. But I honestly have no desire to actually go back to a rotation with my other razors. Majority of my shaves have been BBS, and the rest have been just as close. It has been a revalation, so to speak. I would not lose a second of sleep if I were stripped bare of all my razors and left with just the Rx.
Keep us posted on your experience with the Feather pro blade and it's performance. I'm debating on picking up a box of them and the Pro Guard. Good luck on your task of separating yourself from the Rx and reacquainting yourself with your other favorite razors....:thumbsup:

Rx + Pro Super (6) here in Devon:
IMG_7147.JPG

Just to echo what others are saying, this razor is near perfect isn't it?

I bought 2 RX razors too as backup, but I think I may sell the 2nd since these razors are solid tanks.

Why do I keep opening up this thread. I have a bad case of razor envy. My heart says "YES" but my wallet and wife say "NO!". This brings the vote to 1-2 against.

Will someone please say that they hate this razor and it is junk!

Why do I keep opening up this thread. I have a bad case of razor envy. My heart says "YES" but my wallet and wife say "NO!". This brings the vote to 1-2 against.

Will someone please say that they hate this razor and it is junk!
Nope, and to makes matters worse in a couple of weeks you will have one to test drive, HEHEHEHEHHE

Now I've been through 11 shaves straight with the same razor and blade. I've never done that before, but today's shave was a bit less close than the priors. I chalk it up to a well-worn blade, but perhaps I just got lazy. Tomorrow, it'll be the Supply injector with the three-dot aggressive plate (which feels similar to my face as the Asylum RX, but not quite as close) or my Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb in antique bronze (my current favorite DE, and much more aggressive than the RX). We'll see. Happy shaving!

Now I've been through 11 shaves straight with the same razor and blade. I've never done that before, but today's shave was a bit less close than the priors. I chalk it up to a well-worn blade, but perhaps I just got lazy. Tomorrow, it'll be the Supply injector with the three-dot aggressive plate (which feels similar to my face as the Asylum RX, but not quite as close) or my Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb in antique bronze (my current favorite DE, and much more aggressive than the RX). We'll see. Happy shaving!

Gearing up for this one amigo. Charcoal Goods OC more aggressive than the Rx? I'm all ears partner...... looking forward to your take on the Supply Provision Razor.

I couldn't resist using the RX this morning with a Feather Pro. Wow, a much different experience than the Kai Titan Mild. Now I know why folks call the RX aggressive. I'd never used a Kai Mild, only Feather Pros and Pro Supers. It's amazing how the two different blades provide very different shaves. I even got a couple of weepers this morning, though they disappeared with my cold water post-shave rinse.

Top Bottom