What's new

Asylum RX razor

I thank you Dave. It was your review of the RX that ultimately made me pull the trigger and get one. Not one regret. Thank You, Sir.....

Dave has helped to enable more purchases than just the RX since I've known him. But his review is a big reason I own it as well.

I haven't used my RX since around the first of the year. I'm not one of those regular rotation guys. I use a razor for a few weeks straight, then grab something else to use for a few weeks.

I used the Feather Pro and Feather ProGuard blades in the RX in the past and found the Pro Guards work best for me. This morning I decided to give my ATT S1 a break for a bit and pulled out the RX. I had picked up a pack of Kai Captain Titan Mild Pro Touch last Fall but hadn't tried them yet. I'm not entirely familiar with the Kai line of SE's, but this blade has the guard similar to the Feather Pro Guard so my hopes were high I would find similar performance.

I wasn't disappointed. Based on this one experience I believe the Kai was a tad sharper and noticeably smoother than the Feather counterpart. Time will tell how long it retains that sharp edge, but for the moment the Kai's edge out (see what I did there) the Feather.

I have to say, I wasn't a fan of the RX when I first started using it. As I've posted here before, it took me a while to figure this razor out. I was concerned it was just too aggressive for me. I'm glad I stuck with it long enough to crack the code. This is an outstanding tool for removing whiskers if proper technique is applied.

I haven't used my RX since around the first of the year. I'm not one of those regular rotation guys. I use a razor for a few weeks straight, then grab something else to use for a few weeks.

I used the Feather Pro and Feather ProGuard blades in the RX in the past and found the Pro Guards work best for me. This morning I decided to give my ATT S1 a break for a bit and pulled out the RX. I had picked up a pack of Kai Captain Titan Mild Pro Touch last Fall but hadn't tried them yet. I'm not entirely familiar with the Kai line of SE's, but this blade has the guard similar to the Feather Pro Guard so my hopes were high I would find similar performance.

I wasn't disappointed. Based on this one experience I believe the Kai was a tad sharper and noticeably smoother than the Feather counterpart. Time will tell how long it retains that sharp edge, but for the moment the Kai's edge out (see what I did there) the Feather.

I have to say, I wasn't a fan of the RX when I first started using it. As I've posted here before, it took me a while to figure this razor out. I was concerned it was just too aggressive for me. I'm glad I stuck with it long enough to crack the code. This is an outstanding tool for removing whiskers if proper technique is applied.
I've heard this before on another forum and tried it myself. We have the same experience with the Kai pro touch. It's now my blade with the RX.

Why do I keep opening this thread? I love the looks of this razor and if it shaves as well as you all say....must resist!

So - I've been shaving with an RX for a couple of weeks now. Its very different than any of the DE razors I have or the Mongoose (the only other SE I have). I've used the AC Pro blades and the Kai Mild (Pink) - I've not been able to get past a shave without nicks - they are small - usually sealed off with a cold water rinse. I somewhat strangely find the Kai milds somewhat rougher than the AC Pros - they nick more and remove less hair. I have also noticed several people commenting on the proper angle for this razor. It its somewhat easy to find but it is much bigger than a standard razor - anything less than about 30 degrees and its all blade. Its very sensitive to angle which is why I keep nicking myself, I suspect. I also limit myself to 1.5 passes or I make a real mess. Overall I like the razor but I'm struggling to get passed all the nicks - probably just need more practice with it. I bought it from a gentleman who regularly shaves with a straight - he told me he was selling it because if he wanted that aggressive a razor he would just use a straight - I've not had the courage to try a straight but It seems at times like I'm handling a naked blade with the RX.

I was wondering though - I have noticed that using a SE razor has actually improved my DE technique - I find the SEs to need more care and control - which has transferred to my DE shaving - anyone else notice this?

I should get my RX in a few days. I have about everything else.

On the subject of "nicks" -- after 62 years of "real man's shaving" with DE and SE blades (i.e., like my Dad and Grandpa) -- my impression is that the tendency for "nicking" has a lot to do with the shape of one's face -- i.e., hard angles (like the chin, for example) do promote nicking. So, I watch it.

But, my best "grand-pa's" recommendation is to double-wash, quadruple soak with a hot cloth, follow-up with an oil (anything, really), face-lather 3X (with intermittent dipping in super-hot water) with a good creme or soap (save the "extra" on your chest, and use sloppily, as needed -- you are going to shower anyway), and then let the razor do the work!! It will.

BTW, I love the El Jefe, which is not flawed and/or a supposed "blem", but rather is uniquely "adjustable".... a great razor. First pass -- blade (gently, please) pinched back and with the guard simultaneously pinched forward (As a righty, I use the left hand -- it pops.). Second pass -- blade tapped forward.

IAE, you will get a great shave, and it will take you maybe(??) an extra 5 minutes....

BMWlaw

Got my second shave in with the RX this afternoon. And what a shave it was! 2 passes and very little touch up, buffing around the chin. 2 tiny weepers on the left, 1 on the right. Nothing that an alum pass can't handle. Very, very little irritation just under the left and right jawline. But an excellent shave overall. Just as good as one of my straight shaves. My first shave was a little off, because you need to get that right angle. But once you do it's spot on. I shave as if using a straight, short deliberate strokes with no pressure whatsoever. And I believe using somewhat of a straight shaving technique works beautifully with this razor. And stretching the skin to keep it as flat as possible is key in getting good, clean comfortable passes. I'm using a KAI Captain Original, and it's sharp but smooth and efficient. It's a wonderful tool, that just takes a little to get to know. Once you do though, you can't help but fall in love with it. A great, great razor that's pleasing to the eye and cuts whiskers like very few others can.

I would say that perhaps skin stretching is the key to exceptional results. I had forgotten to mention this as I have been shaving with a straight for two and a half years. I failed to realize that perhaps DE users are not accustomed to stretching skin with the off hand as most of us straight shavers incorporate into every shave, no matter the tool in hand. This technique has improved all of my shaves including DE shaves.

I would say that perhaps skin stretching is the key to exceptional results. I had forgotten to mention this as I have been shaving with a straight for two and a half years. I failed to realize that perhaps DE users are not accustomed to stretching skin with the off hand as most of us straight shavers incorporate into every shave, no matter the tool in hand. This technique has improved all of my shaves including DE shaves.
+1
Skin stretching is the magic key!

4 shaves in with this razor, and smooth and efficient I believe is an understatement. The closeness of the shave is just amazing. Over 18 hours and no sign of stubble or the 5 o'clock shadow. The longevity of the post shave feel is just phenomenal. A post previous to this from @mjclark stated something similar to this. And I agree with his assessment on the quality and longevity of the BBS shave the RX provides.

The more I use the RX the more I like it. I have been playing with shave direction a bit and my shaves keep improving. I shave in different directions if I am using a straight vs a DE. Their are spots on my neck I simply cannot get a BBS shave with using a DE. TO achieve BBS I have to go full on ATG and even the sharpest most aggressive DE results in pain, blood, ingrown hairs, and pretty much just misery. With a sharp straight I can shave any direction I want. I had been using the RX much like a DE and recently have been using it as I do a straight, going full on ATG in those problem areas and this darn things carves right through the whiskers effortlessly with no irritation.

Like I said, the more I use the RX the more I like it. It requires care and maybe a bit more time than a DE, but gives me an SR quality shave in much less time than an SR.

For me this has turned out to be an excellent tool. A month ago I would have said I prefer the General...which is also an excellent razor in its own right. If forced to choose between the two, I would have to go with the RX. I also have a Hawk, its far too mild for me and I will not be keeping it. I haven't tried an ATT SE1. I had fully intended to at some point but I am just flat out enjoying this RX so much I don't know that I will ever pull the trigger on an SE1, and I am a huge fan of ATT.

The more I use the RX the more I like it. I have been playing with shave direction a bit and my shaves keep improving. I shave in different directions if I am using a straight vs a DE. Their are spots on my neck I simply cannot get a BBS shave with using a DE. TO achieve BBS I have to go full on ATG and even the sharpest most aggressive DE results in pain, blood, ingrown hairs, and pretty much just misery. With a sharp straight I can shave any direction I want. I had been using the RX much like a DE and recently have been using it as I do a straight, going full on ATG in those problem areas and this darn things carves right through the whiskers effortlessly with no irritation.

Like I said, the more I use the RX the more I like it. It requires care and maybe a bit more time than a DE, but gives me an SR quality shave in much less time than an SR.

For me this has turned out to be an excellent tool. A month ago I would have said I prefer the General...which is also an excellent razor in its own right. If forced to choose between the two, I would have to go with the RX. I also have a Hawk, its far too mild for me and I will not be keeping it. I haven't tried an ATT SE1. I had fully intended to at some point but I am just flat out enjoying this RX so much I don't know that I will ever pull the trigger on an SE1, and I am a huge fan of ATT.
I'm with you all the way. It took me a couple of shaves to get the feel for it. And my last two shaves have been marvelous. My jawline has always been a problem with a DE in getting it smooth and BBS. I'd get there, but with some minor irritation to pay. My straights take care of those spots with ease. Of course at the expense of time and speed. But just as I would stretch and contort my face to maximize flatness and smooth passes with a straight, I used the same technique with the RX and just pure bliss. And the bonus is straight shave quality, at the speed of a DE shave plus a couple of minutes. Plus the blades are stiffer and there is no chatter or resonance once the blade is locked down in the RX head. Two thumbs up for me and I honestly believe this could be my last razor.......

P.S. The key word is "could"......:ihih:
I made no guarantees.

Another great shave today. I was very wrong about this razor. In earlier posts I said it was to aggressive to use every day. Wrong. I've been reaching for my RX every day.

Another great shave today. I was very wrong about this razor. In earlier posts I said it was to aggressive to use every day. Wrong. I've been reaching for my RX every day.
Same here. I just can't stop using it. It's that good. A BBS shave the last 3 shaves, and the post shave feel is tremendous. Last all day and well into the late evening. Can't say enough good things about the RX.....

Makes me want to buy one. Just can't decide which one to get 1st. The ATT SE1/SE2 or the RX. Probably end up with them both.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Makes me want to buy one. Just can't decide which one to get 1st. The ATT SE1/SE2 or the RX. Probably end up with them both.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I debated with the same exact issue you're dealing with. And I just read through forums and reviews until I gave myself a headache. For me they were neck and neck to be honest. But I took a chance with the RX. When I made the purchase, I started doubting that I had made the right decision. When I got the razor in my hands and loaded a blade in it, and made that first pass, brother the doubt was gone. I haven't looked back since. $230 is nothing to sneeze at, but I'm glad I spent it. Not a single regret amigo.....

Top Bottom