What's new

Anyone still use cookbooks?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I was looking for a recipe for pork chops today and pulled out some books.

Anybody use regular cookbooks instead of internet searches anymore?

I know I do. I have a decent collection of various cook books, and sometimes at the grocery place I'll grab a magazine if the food on the cover catches my interest.

A lot of the time I'll use the books to browse through for ideas on things to make or ideas I'd not thought of, something different to try/add to my usual list. If I am looking for a specific recipe, though, online searches are often my first go to.

I like both cookbooks and Internet recipes. There is simply something nice about having a book to look at. Same goes for reading. I use digital books for my graduate classes, but prefer paper for other books.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The carpet in my family room is a bit large. I shampoo and rotate it a couple of times a year. I lift the couch onto a pile of cookbooks at each end so I can slip the carpet under it.

I have purchases a few more lately, mostly for the joy of reading them and the pictures. When I'm looking for a recipe the internet allows me to take the best from a few recipes rather than just one.

I use both. My old Joy Of Cooking, and some by Julia Child. I like All About Braising by Molly Stevens. If I'm in a hurry the internet, but sometimes there is just so much that I'd rather go to a tried and true book.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
When I'm looking for a recipe the internet allows me to take the best from a few recipes rather than just one.

I do that. Provides some inspiration and some ingredients that you may not have thought of before that will work together. Then cut and paste all of the snippets into my own digital recipe book.

I have a few, but in a hurry I Google my main ingredients and see what comes up.
Recently purchased The Food Lab Cookbook and was thoroughly impressed.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I use 5 ways to get recipes:

1. Physical books - When I'm really planning something I'll get out a few that I know or think I might like.
2. Youtube - A great wealth of knowledge and diverse recipes on one site with great videos.
3. Family recipes -Mostly hand written by my mother and some from my wife's mother.
4. Internet website - Just search, choose & print...a great luxury.
5. The Mess Hall - I've probably learned more from you guys than any other place and certainly motivated to try new things.

Have quite a few shelves full of cookbooks and magazines but the neighbourhood library has an endless supply. My library record for the last year shows over ~250 items borrowed easily half cookbooks and magazines (not a single work of fiction in book or dvd format).

If i need a quick reference or need to check what the library has i'll use the internet but i'd do fine without it. Mostly use the internet for eyecandy and ideas, very few recipes. Books and magazines all the way, every birthday, every Christmas there are cookbooks arriving. Started buying them in my teens.

dave

I have some cookbooks both in print and on my kindle. I find I get a good ideas for cooking reading cookbooks. I use the internet when I know what I want to make, just want some help in doing it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
You mean like this?

$20170127_171106.jpg

I also do plenty of internet searches for recipes or, at least, ideas to create a recipe, but I treasure my cookbook and magazine library.

I still use the better homes and gardens book my mom gave me 15 years ago or so. It's has a lot of the recipes she cooked for me when I was going up, and it is my go to when I want a meal I had going up.

Still have many on the "cook book shelf" in the kitchen. The Weber grill cookbook is my favorite in the summer. I've yet to be disappointed in a recipe I've tried. Chipotle BBQ chicken slow cooked on the grill... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You mean like this?

View attachment 719722

I also do plenty of internet searches for recipes or, at least, ideas to create a recipe, but I treasure my cookbook and magazine library.

I feel way better about my cookbook collection now... I also did a major purge on it when I moved, and tossed ones that really had no point in being kept.. what's that? No point to a cook book?? Yeah, these were like "100 microwave recipes" and others of that genre that came in a lot box of cookbooks from a yard sale. There were some great older books in there as well I kept.

$IMG_20170127_205143.jpg

I have a couple that I refer to regularly. I have a 1927 Fannie Farmer that has lots of good recipes in it. We have a 1980s and 2000s Betty Crocker books that have different recipes that we regularly use. A 1000 recipe Chinese cookbook, and a couple other books have one or two good recipes. There are several computer files with recipes collected over the years. I've gotten lots of good recipes from Felicity Cloake's column in the Guardian. When in doubt I google it.

Top Bottom