What's new

Anyone still use cookbooks?

Heck yeah. Joy of Cooking, The New Basics, The Moosewood Restaurant Cooks At Home, and Soup for Supper get the most play around here.

I have a Fannie Farmer dating from the 70's (my first cookbook) and a slow cooker cook book. I consult both regularly. They're handier than using my tablet though I also have a bunch of Kindle cookbooks.

Fanny Farmer

Joy of Cooking

James Beard

If I have a question or am not sure on something, these are where I go first.

You can't believe all that you see on that internet :nonod:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow guys...y'all have some good stuff. I need to get mine organized.

I have the old Betty Crocker, Fanny Farmer, and some local Fire Department cookbooks from a few different places, an Aunt Bee's cookbook...then the Church cookbooks of Mom's, a few outdoor Dutch oven cookbooks, handwritten recipes from Mom, wife's family, and myself, and a three ring binder full of print-outs I've done over the last 20 years or better.

And then some more stuff.

I really need to organize this better.

My cookbook space in the cabinet is full.

Wow guys...y'all have some good stuff. I need to get mine organized.

I have the old Betty Crocker, Fanny Farmer, and some local Fire Department cookbooks from a few different places, an Aunt Bee's cookbook...then the Church cookbooks of Mom's, a few outdoor Dutch oven cookbooks, handwritten recipes from Mom, wife's family, and myself, and a three ring binder full of print-outs I've done over the last 20 years or better.

And then some more stuff.

I really need to organize this better.

My cookbook space in the cabinet is full.

I love those locally made ones from fire departments and churches. I never pass on picking those up when I run into them, be it at a yard sale or the fire department carnival/parade. Those are actually some of my favorite types to look through.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My best recipes come from a Czech fraternal organization/Catholic church (SPJST/KJT) fundraising cookbook that I've owned for years. I've eaten cooking all of my life from most of those women that contributed to that book.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love those locally made ones from fire departments and churches. I never pass on picking those up when I run into them, be it at a yard sale or the fire department carnival/parade. Those are actually some of my favorite types to look through.

I pick those up wherever and whenever I can, as well.

My best recipes come from a Czech fraternal organization/Catholic church (SPJST/KJT) fundraising cookbook that I've owned for years. I've eaten cooking all of my life from most of those women that contributed to that book.

And one of my favorites is the SPJST cookbook I picked up in West, Texas (at Westfest) years ago.

I've been trying to find one I can write recipes down in, with sections for main meals, sides, desserts and even one for grilling receives. I've used some apps on my iPad but it's more a pain to use than anything. My wife has a broken box with index cards in it, and they keep falling out.

Sure do; although I've pared down my collection to around 50 or so. Including the unauthorized 1962 version of The Joy of Cooking; there are actually recommendations for squirrel (stuff and roast squirrels as for Pigeons,) and opossum (trap and feed it on milk and cereals for ten days.) :001_smile

Nope. Don't use any cookbooks whatsoever..... ;)

$cookbooks.jpg

I will admit that I trend to use the internet more now as it's just so darned convenient. But I like paging through my old friends and being reminded of recipes that I've forgotten or have fallen out of rotation.....

By the way -- the big red binder (bottom right) is full of my own "found" recipes and has a big blue brother also. The smaller red binder next to it is my Thanksgiving Cookbook -- every menu and recipe I've ever used for my family Thanksgivings over about 20 years.

Last edited:
A few of our favorites;
1) Modern Family Cookbook by Meta Given :thumbup1:
2) National Grange Cookbook
3) Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook
These are just a few, but we enjoy the ones pre 60's.
In a pinch or a rush we'll use the internet.

Although I will search on the internet, I have a number of cook books and regularly use them for favourite recipes. There is something more real about a book.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I still use both. It's a mix of BBQ books (Franklin, Meathead, Steven Raichlen) and Mexican cookbooks (Rick Bayless mainly, Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico, I made pretty much every single recipes in that book and keep using it). I do have a few Italian cookbooks (Batali and an encyclopedia of Italian recipes by regions). The rest is a variation of pretty much anything and I should sell these books(the ones I don't use). I do not have many Asian cookbooks or French.

I started my own cookbook a while back and it's still a work in progress. When I get a nice recipe that I like in a cookbook or over the web, I make a copy in that cookbook. Eventually, the idea is to have what I cook the most in there, print it and put it in a binder. I have things that I modified or adapted from both books and the internet and some that are copied as is.

I'm working a lot on technique lately which is making me wonder if I should start a technique section in my homemade cookbook. I know how to smoke a piece of pork shoulder as an example, however, taking notes is always good and going back to them is, sometimes helpful (i.e. use this type of wood instead of that one, using mustard did this to the meat, etc).

Latest discovery, 5 time wrapped pork should (2 times in paper butcher and 3 times in aluminum) 225F in the oven for 12 hours. One of the best pork should (that wasn't smoked) that I've eaten. Considering the heat efficiency of the Weber when it's -25C, smoke paprika is a nice alternative... The idea is to seal the piece of meat so that the moisture is trapped inside. I had zero leak from the package after 12hrs, everything was in, the paper butcher was soaking wet.

occasionally yes. some old grandma type. my wife is absolutely anal about following receipes. kitchen looks like a bombed site after. two or three measuring spoon set ups, 2 glass pyrex measuring cups . 27 years later i have stopped laughing as she definitely knows how to cook.

I still use the better homes and gardens book my mom gave me 15 years ago or so. It's has a lot of the recipes she cooked for me when I was going up, and it is my go to when I want a meal I had going up.

I bought my BH&G New Cook Book about 20 years ago and reference it all the time. I used to belong to a cook book, book club and got quite a few niche books, but the BH&G is the one I turn to most.

I was looking for a recipe for pork chops today and pulled out some books.

Anybody use regular cookbooks instead of internet searches anymore?

I have two shelves of cookbooks on a rack just outside my 'singles apartment galley kitchen'.
I have scoured them for recipes that appeal to me, either by subject or by 'the cook', and have transcribed them into 'engineers' logbooks', which I use, to not soil and splatter the published cookbook. I have scoured the Internet, too, for recipes from old railroad lines. These logbooks all fit on the same space as my photog, art of writing and journal, birding, and snubby logbooks. My cooking logbooks are themed, with one for Oriental cooking and cutlery information, one for just 'burgers and 'dogs, another for mostly rangetop cooking, and the other is an amalgam. (I really don't cook much in the oven, since i can't get down to get into it for cleaning purposes, and use it as the 'frypan repository'.) I use those old 'federal green books' for this purpose.

I still like Betty Crocker's cookbook. Ours is from the 80s. I compared it to my mother's from the 50s, and what a difference. Butter and lard were very popular in her earliest motherhood days.

The nice thing about a cookbook is recipes tested by someone you trust. I tend to have better luck trying new recipes from a cookbook author I like over random internet searches.

Top Bottom