What's new

Any interest in an organized Vintage brush PIF round robin?

I don't know if it's been done before, but I've been thinking about this and would be willing to get the ball rolling with the first PIF.

The idea would be to limit it to say 10 participants (the first time around). I would send out two vintage handles either restored (minus knot I think, since that is a personal choice), or restorable. Then the person who gets those would send out two (but not the ones that I send) and so on. We would have the first round robin list complete before we started and then when the last one gets sent out (to me I guess) we could start over and people could opt out or be replaced.

Participants would post their bounty here as soon as recieved and again when knotted.

I'm open to international participation as long as everyone else is OK with it.

I'd be open to changes on the specifics. Anyone interested? First 10 to post "I'm in" will be in the first go-round if we do it.

Post your number with your "Im in" like this:

I'm in! #1

So we know when we get to ten. Later iterations could be larger but we don't want it to drag out this first time. What do you all think?

Cool, keep it coming. Any thoughts on the "rules"?

When we get to 9 (I'll be ten) I will make the official list and send out the first two. Then each person will PM the next person on the list for an address when its time to send their package. I have a couple good candidates to send.

One thought towards the rules:

So that we can all enjoy the anticipation each time, a post is made by the person shipping (no pictures or details, that would ruin the surprise) stating that they have been put in the mail.

I'm in #4

Regarding what is "allowed":

In my mind, there are three ways this could go

1) Only restored or NOS handles without knots allowed.
2) Any handle without a knot allowed. This would mean that if you are sending along a project handle, at least get it to the point where the knot is out.
2) Any handle allowed. Restored, unrestored, knot, or no all welcome.

I personally would prefer #1 or #2. For one, it will be easier for everyone if the knots are already out. Then it is just plug-and-play. Seems to make the handles you get more of a fun treat than a new project. Plus, if it is just the handles, you don't have to worry about knots getting squashed or mangled, or old funky knots shedding all over the box!

Regarding the "rules of the take":

Seems like there are a couple options.

1) The person starting sends two handles. The next person takes these two handles and adds two entirely new handles. And so on. This means you are getting two handles from the person in front of you, and only from that person, and you are giving two handles to the person after you, and only that person.
2) The person starting sends two handles. The next person takes one, two, or none, and adds as many as he took. This means that after a few passes, there will probably be handles from multiple people making their way around. 2a) To beef this up a bit, we could ask for up-front donations of handles to get the box started. That way, the first recipient gets a good 6-8 handles to choose from, then takes as many as he likes, and adds at least as many as he took. So the stock never gets below that original 6-8, and likely actually increases as the pass goes on. People who donated up front obviously don't have to donate again, and so long as they are nearer the bottom of the list, there isn't a risk of handles running out.

Then the "rules of the pass":

Some suggestions:
- Each person takes photos of the handles they took and posts them
- Each person has a "time-limit" ... say 3 days or 5 days or whatever to get it turned around.

I've been a part of a few passes now, and it seems that they work best when someone is somewhat "in charge" of the box. They collect everyone's addresses and phone numbers up front, and then when each person gets the box, they take a photo of what's in it as well as what they are adding, and sends it to the man-in-charge. It isn't meant to be gestapo or anything, just to make sure things run smoothly. I've been a part of a couple that fell apart, and having someone in charge seems to help avoid that.

Anyway, just my two cents!

Good Thoughts.

I was thinking just a straight pass two forward, but am not adverse to more of a "take two add two." I could start it with four, and anyone else with bounty could add an extra as it gets to them. That way if some of what I send is something Jim has already he could leave it for others who don't have those particular things.

I think any vintage handle with the knot removed is the way I envisioned it.

The photos thing I covered and agree, time limit is good too. I say we aim for a 3 day with a week max. That means everyone should be prepared with their contributions before the box arrives. Everyone should try for at least one handle that is something special even if one is more common but don't let lack of anything whizbang to add keep you out of the pool. And of course everyone should try to be as fair as possible not taking the two very best goodies.

I think your last idea of a point-man is good as well and I guess I am nominated if everyone is OK with it. So everyone in please PM me contact info, number and address, and send me pics of your additions and the current state of the box. That spoils the surprise for me, but i suspect you are right it keeps all of us on track.

Here's where we are now. Five spots left. I was expecting the good Doctor to join us.. Paging Dr. Dulcamara...

1. JaxJim
2. Travispitt
3. econjoe
4. mattdenicola
10. Duderubble

Come to think of it, I don't want to say vintage only, I would welcome handles made by our skilled brethren here as well. I just don't want people putting in something like the new plastic handles off the Golden Nib. Either vintage or personally handcrafted. Of course IDK if anyone would even be willing to do that.

Another option for the pass would be that everyone sends the originator one handle. He sends these 9 plus his 2 (11 total) to the first person. Person one takes out 2 handles and adds 1 (10 handles go to the next person). This is continued until person nine sends the 1 remaining handle plus their 1 addition to the originator. The down side to this is the people down the list will not have near the selection as those at the start.

I think starting with a few and letting it grow will work better. I will make sure Jim gets a decent selection.

We need to recruit a few more, Probably if we don't have ten by Friday I'll just go ahead with however many we have, but at least a few more would be nice.

I will make sure Jim gets a decent selection.

I appreciate the thought, but there's no need to go out of your way for me-- I've got probably a dozen or more vintage brushes in my restoration queue. This should be fun!

Will be sending you a PM with my contact info shortly, Duderubble. Thanks for dreaming this up and taking on the chore of administering it.

I think I'd like to be in - as long as you're ok with a handle made by me. I don't typically do many restores. Just a wood turner here.

Sound ok?

Rob

Top Bottom