What's new

Any Info ?

I am in the process of restoring a razor for a friend. The restoration is now complete and I just have to hone it up for him.
It is a fairly standard 5/8" square point with black scales and a slight smile. I think it has been rescaled in the past as the fixed end has copper rivets with large flat heads and the wedge is also made of copper. Whoever did it did a superb job.
The tang is marked "C.G.A.Hammarberg & Co. Worcester. Mass. Hand Forged"
It seems be a good quality razor and was probably imported from Germany in the 40's. If anyone has any information on the supplier I would love to pass it along to the new owner.

Whoa. Hammarberg?! OLD company! Listed here in passing in a 1916 directory: The Worcester Directory Containing a General Directory of the Citizens, a Business Directory and the City and County Register - https://books.google.com/books?id=HPQCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA362&lpg=PA362&dq=%22C.G.A.Hammarberg+%26+Co&source=bl&ots=mtS90Z57Dd&sig=ACfU3U08RRQITilxrn4xtnQwvQ7DF87BiA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiXjYGays2DAxV1jIkEHc5eBVwQ6AF6BAgJEAM#v=onepage&q=%22C.G.A.Hammarberg%20%26%20Co&f=false

Left side of page 302, toward the bottom. I believe the company came and went.

Hammarberg is a Swedish surname, so my hunch is that the family moved to America in there 1800s/early 1900s and started up their craft, but then...!?

Thanks for the research. Very impressive detective work !!
I have already given the razor to my friend and he was thrilled with it. I will pass on your new information to him when I see him tomorrow.
I did give the razor a trial shave before I parted with it and it was superb.
Thanks again. Gord.

Top Bottom