What's new

Acquisitions for July 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
From all you said I would have to say you and your father-inlaw have a fine relationship. An that is a good thing. ....................JR

Nice score.

The fact that the shank has the country of origin after Sheffield is an indication it's most likely post 1890's. Still a very nice razor, those "Celebrated Hollow Ground" W&B are very well regarded.

It most certainly is - great score!
proxy.php

Astra blades, and Gillette 7'OClock Blues. I can't wait until my Merkur Futur comes in.

Today, I picked up my first Gillette adjustable. It's a 1961 (G4) Slim. It came in its original box and with a pack of vintage Gillette blades. I found it at an antique store a few miles from work. I bought it for a the great price of $18. As can be seen in the pictures, it's in wonderful shape and cleaned up nicely. I can't wait to give it a whirl tomorrow morning. :drool:

Attachments

• $100_2432.jpg
    $100_2432.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 371
  • $100_2433.jpg
    $100_2433.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 372
The razor says Gem on the underside ;) ! fantastic, apart from those few minor scuffs on the head, the plating looks immaculate! The 3 piece is in ok condition, though the head plate seems to be stuck to the middle section, so that will be my project for tomorrow. Apart from that the 'blades' were mostly packets, but there are some interesting blades i have never heard of in there, as well as a classic 7 o'clock or two! Very chuffed.

That metal container by the way, is a metal blade bank! its absolutely fantastic, like a metal Derby Extra container. The Tech is an English model, not Argentinian so I am quite happy, will have to take some photos tomorrow.

Not so much shaving gear, but I just ordered some, well, alot of artisan soaps.

I ordered:

A bar of Calendula soap and a bar of Honey, Lemon & Oatmeal soap from The Natural Soap Co.

A bar of Cinnabar Spice soap and a bar of Nettle & Patchouli soap from Bellingham's Natural Soap Co.

A bar of Lemongrass & Ginger soap and a bar of Sandalwood soap from Shetland Soap Co.

and finally a bar of Nesti Dante's Luxury Gold Soap.

So that leaves me with a different soap to use everyday :lol:

Damn, why the hell did I buy so much soap? :lol:

My father was recently traveling in Turkey and I asked him to pick me up a some Derby shave cream and he picked up 4 tubes since it was so affordable. The cologne is something I remember from when I was in Ankara about 6 years ago. They use it almost like a hand sanitizer/deodorant/all around tonic. Most often its lemon (I still have a large bottle of it) but I also remembered a tobacco variety and asked him to pick that up as well. My first impression is that it is much more floral than I remember.
proxy.php

I've managed to pick up a couple of very nice straights in the last few days.

First is a Kron Punkt Inox. I've never seen one of these before.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And the second is a NOS Henckels 415

proxy.php

proxy.php

Today, I picked up my first Gillette adjustable. It's a 1961 (G4) Slim. It came in its original box and with a pack of vintage Gillette blades. I found it at an antique store a few miles from work. I bought it for a the great price of $18. As can be seen in the pictures, it's in wonderful shape and cleaned up nicely. I can't wait to give it a whirl tomorrow morning. :drool:

Did you get instructions on the back of those sealed blades too?

Nice!!

Did you get instructions on the back of those sealed blades too?

Nice!!

I just looked at the blades. Yes, I do have the instructions on the back of the sealed blades. Thanks for mentioning it. I was so excited about the razor that I didn't really look at the blades. I did use the razor this morning on setting 4 and it worked great. I couldn't believe the shave I got from it. It will definitely be put into my rotation.

The 'gillette hand shaver' unknown mix that I purchased on eBay for $5 finally arrived and I cannot be happier on earth! the Tech (I assume it is one) will need some cleaning up and replating, however the GEM SE razor is absolutely immaculate save a few minor scratches on the top of the hinge. Came with an ADA ADA blade, some German "The Lion" blades, a 7 O'clock, and a bunch of packets in the Valet auto-strop box.

A real winner here apart from the GEM razor, the metal blade bank! its a bit bigger than a Derby Extra blade box, looks useful and I will use it! The tech I will assume is a 1949 slim handle according to the pics on Mr. Razor but don't quote me on that. Currently a 4-piece instead of a 3 piece haha, but it seems to be in good condition with no rust, bends or damage apart from the plating. The GEM razor came with a bonus used hardware store SE razor blade, maybe thats why he sold it so cheap? trying to shave with a scraper blade on his face heh :)

Did I mention I am chuffed :D

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom