What's new

Acquisitions for July 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi peeps,

I just won a mystery auction on eBay but having a little trouble identifying the razors. Looks to be one SE razor and a DE Gillette.

From the Mr.Razor site it appears the DE might be a 1940-1950 slim handled tech or fat handled tech due to the handle design and lack of Gillette signage on the head.

I have no clue what the SE razor appears to be, but it comes in a "valet" Bakelite case.

Awaiting postage, those are the eBay pics, which seem a bit foggy at least, thankfully this is the last of the auctions I bid on that one fateful night, not a bad price either ($5 + postage).

edit: for reference the listing just had the title "Gillette hand shaver" and the only text was as follows;
Shavers and Metal Blade carrier. Made in England and is in excellent condition for it's age.There are a couple of shavers for the collecter to add to your colllection.Comes with a bakalite case and good condition.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

For reference from the Mr. Razor site, these are the tech's that the handle and head most closely resemble. Any ideas?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Gillette fat handled Tech.
Valet Auto strop box (mismatch to any razor there)
The real GEM (ha ha) is the Ever Ready Streamline.

A lot of people like that razor.
Good score.

P

Pjotr

Don't know about the Gillette but you are (or should be!) the proud owner of an Ever Ready Streamline or GEM Jewel (can't tell from the picture) SE razor. I'm lucky enough to have one myself and it's very sought after and one of the best built SEs you can find. Shaves like a dream too. Lucky man!

Score! I should drink Gin more often then :) I'm quite happy about that now. My only question is what blades does that SE razor take? providing everything is in servicable condition I would love to give it a spin.

P

Pjotr

Score! I should drink Gin more often then :) I'm quite happy about that now. My only question is what blades does that SE razor take? providing everything is in servicable condition I would love to give it a spin.

There are a couple (literally) of blades around. I've never used anything but GEM Stainless Steel PTFE coated blades. Apparently Walgreens (I live in Walgreenless Australia so don't know first hand) stock 5 pack dispensers. Others will no doubt chime in with other stockists. Don't whatever you do load it with hardware store scraper blades. Watch the MrGuysrazor video on youtube for technique. It's not, and I can concur, the mildest of SE razors so go slow, watch the angle dilligently (almost flat to the face) and let the razor do the work (i.e. little or no pressure, particularly with a fresh blade). $5???? I know several SE shavers hunting the globe for one of those. If you want to sell it's worth something like $35-40 without a case I'd say. Not a lot compared to collectable DEs but in SE land that's top of the range.

Sorry, I just realised you're in Sydney. Send me a PM and I'll post you a few blades.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have to take you up on that, is there any online vendors that would stock the blades at all? I would probably pick up a small bulk amount just in case I ever wanted to shave with it in the future. I did see some classic ones at the shaver shop, but no way would I pay their prices for unknown goods haha.

Hey Guys,

I found these 2 beauties at an antique tractor/equipment show last Friday in Denton, NC. $15.00 for both, so I think I did pretty good! The W&B looks to be in decent shape, with some surface rust, but hopefully it will clean up nice! The SA dates to be a 1st quarter 1964 and functions flawlessly. It will be off for a full restoration in gleaming chrome very soon!

Take a look at the box the straights were in; the guy probably had 60-70 of them, and some were pretty nice, but it seems it's only the "Choppers" that speak to me!

Any info on dating the W&B is appreciated. I asume it's from 1860 to 1900, but specifics would be welcomed! Thanks for looking!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

P

Pjotr

I may have to take you up on that, is there any online vendors that would stock the blades at all? I would probably pick up a small bulk amount just in case I ever wanted to shave with it in the future. I did see some classic ones at the shaver shop, but no way would I pay their prices for unknown goods haha.

Yes there are several online vendors. None in Australia to my knowledge. SE blades for most people last 6 shaves. Mr Guy recently did 16 shaves with one blade! I'll send you half a dozen which will give you a pretty good idea and enough time to find and order blades online. My favorite vendor is banned but they're mentioned in this thread (don't ask!!!): http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...aving-For-FAST-shipping-and-best-price-on-MWF! Otherwise there's this one: http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/catalog/single-edge-blades which will give an idea how much roughly you're looking at. The Shaver Shop doesn't stock SE blades . They only stock Wilkinson DE blades as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
They had a box of 5 vintage ones in their little display at my local store, seems they have a few odds and ends every now and then. Ahh thank you for that link its quite decent and good prices, are you aware if they ship over here? They are a much better price than the Personna GEM blades from the Personna website.

Legion

Staff member
'Le Tuft' custom shave brush / custom shave soap bowl / 'PenElegance' series custom pen, all the way from Wales. Directly commissioned from a friend, Bill, who happens to be an excellent craftsman (this is not the first time I have had work done by him).

proxy.php

That is a VERY nice looking brush. I'm usually not a fan of the "modern orange" brush, but the swirls and red insert on that one make all the difference.

Went out investigating local sources for shave supplies, came back with some other goodies instead:
proxy.php

Immmmmmmmmmmperial Leather!

Went out investigating local sources for shave supplies, came back with some other goodies instead:
proxy.php

Immmmmmmmmmmperial Leather!
I assume you may be aussie? Where did you get the talc! I love all of those products especially the soap/AS and Palmolive lather cream. I will have to go hunting for the talc very soon I think.

Kiwi.

The Talc I can only get at one specific chain of supermarkets. The lather cream is available here everywhere, the stick is a little harder to find, usually at tobacconists/barbers.

Legion

Staff member
I want some of that talc now. I haven't used talc since I was a kid (Old Spice:lol:) but now I want some. I don't know why, I just do.

And is it just me, or does Imperial Leather original soap smell a lot like Tabac?

Kiwi.

The Talc I can only get at one specific chain of supermarkets. The lather cream is available here everywhere, the stick is a little harder to find, usually at tobacconists/barbers.

Oh I am luckier on this side of the pond then, the sticks are at Woolworths (on special at my local this weekend for 1.15 a stick!). I bought 2 as a backup and usually keep a few of the lather creams in the cupboard as I regularly enjoy it. Keep us updated on how you find the aftershave, I actually really enjoy it for the price, not as horrid as most grocery store ones go, actually quite decent, especially considering its usually under $10.

I want some of that talc now. I haven't used talc since I was a kid (Old Spice:lol:) but now I want some. I don't know why, I just do.

And is it just me, or does Imperial Leather original soap smell a lot like Tabac?

I need to try some Tabac I think! Imperial leather smells... well... subtle haha.

I plugged the talc into google aus, online pharmacy type sites selling it for AUD$20ish! I pay about NZD$3 at New World supermarket.

If Tabac smells a lot like IL soap I may give up my hunt for the IL shave cream here. Found a pharmacy in Welly that sells the whole Tabac range. Shave soap that smells like IL? Yes Please!

As for the Palmolive stick/cream - I use 'em both at once as a "superlather". I mill the sticks into a mug as I just find rubbing them on my face a bit irritating.

The Imperial Leather AS was... a little disappointing. I was hoping for more of the distinctive scent but it's a little generic "aftershavey" smelling. It's there, but not as strong as I had hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom