What's new

$300 for my dream Meerschaum...which carver or where do I look?

Is there any difference in the LVC pipe and their regular bent billiard? They look pretty close but sometimes pictures don't always tell the full story.

The difference in the two pipes is very tiny. The shape is essentially the same but the given measurements are slightly different with the LVC being smaller by a tiny bit for each measurement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference in the two pipes is very tiny. The shape is essentially the same but the given measurements are slightly different with the LVC being smaller by a tiny bit for each measurement.

Ah gotcha. Knew there had to be a difference.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Now, take this with a grain of salt coming from a guy with five (and one presumably on the way), but one of the most awesome things about meers is watching it color. And that is a long, slow process. The more meers you have, the fewer bowls each gets, etc, etc. And if you want to get an LVC looking like LVC's LVC...that's going to take some dedicated smoking.

Just my two cents.

This is awesome advice Price. This is why I made my first Meer a pre-stained LVC by Strambach. I'm fairly new at this pipe smoking thing and as of right now, only smoke 1-2 bowls a week on average. So I get to enjoy the look now, while it will still get darker and while I learn to take care of a Meer. If I do something stupid like cracking it or breaking it, I'm only out $99 bucks.

If I eventually grow into a more serious pipe aficionado as many here, I will be quite ready and more committed into upgrading and caring for one of 'the big kahuna's in meerschaum pipes.

I hope I can still participate with my cheap LVC in March Meer Madness with you guys? Been looking forward to it and have purchased a few tins of new flavors in preparation.

I hope I can still participate with my cheap LVC in March Meer Madness with you guys? Been looking forward to it and have purchased a few tins of new flavors in preparation.

It better make an appearance. I don't think I've seen a picture of your LVC.

After 3 poor quality pipes from Altinok, I decided to just pay up for assured quality and bought a Baki. Well, great pipe but still not flawless. It seems to me that they all have poor engineering when it comes to the drilling and tenon/mortise.
I would advise not buying a Meershaum till you can handle it and inspect it before money changes hands.
proxy.php

That's disappointing if its true. I was just beginning to convince myself to take the plunge on a Baki. I don't think I have anywhere I can look at high quality meers in person around here.

For what it is worth, I love my Baki, not a single thing wrong with it. I would def buy another. Of course, everyone's expectations are different, so YMMV.

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Looks a lot like my Baki.

proxy.php

The only critique I have of it is that I wish the bit was a little flatter, and I wish the button was a little taller. Because the bit is a bit domed, it's a touch slippery in my teeth. A minor gripe really.

But the drilling and overall engineering of the pipe is perfect.

Looks a lot like my Baki.

proxy.php

The only critique I have of it is that I wish the bit was a little flatter, and I wish the button was a little taller. Because the bit is a bit domed, it's a touch slippery in my teeth. A minor gripe really.

But the drilling and overall engineering of the pipe is perfect.

That pipe looks awfully white. Tell me that's not a recent picture!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
That pipe looks awfully white. Tell me that's not a recent picture!

Lol! No, it's from when it was new. I've only had it a month or two though so not a lot of color yet. It is starting to color though.

For what it is worth, I love my Baki, not a single thing wrong with it. I would def buy another. Of course, everyone's expectations are different, so YMMV.

Oh, there's a Baki in my future...will be my next purchase. I just got hooked on the LVC from Altinok and decided to go for it.

My number one concern with getting a meerschaum is having the greatest chance of having a well-functioning pipe.
I am going to buy one in a few days, i'm sure of it...but with the above concern...I'm not sure if it matters if I get an Atlinok classic pipe for ~ $200 or a Baki for $250-$300. Both have designs that I like, so the only consideration I really have is for the construction of the pipe and quality of the meerschaum. Any thoughts? (Hope you don't mind be piggy-backing on your thread, Bryant.)

My number one concern with getting a meerschaum is having the greatest chance of having a well-functioning pipe.
I am going to buy one in a few days, i'm sure of it...but with the above concern...I'm not sure if it matters if I get an Atlinok classic pipe for ~ $200 or a Baki for $250-$300. Both have designs that I like, so the only consideration I really have is for the construction of the pipe and quality of the meerschaum. Any thoughts? (Hope you don't mind be piggy-backing on your thread, Bryant.)

I don't mind at all...I covet any and all information I can gather, doesn't matter if I ask the question or not! I will certainly share my opinion of the Altinok when it arrives (scheduled for tomorrow!!!) and share photos but all I have to compare it to is my Strambach...

Top Bottom