What's new

Quality Block Meerschaum Estate Pipe

Hi everyone,

I'd like to buy a quality block meerschaum pipe.

Criteria (in priority order):

It must be an awesome smoke: I'm struggling with my pipe smoking and I think that a known-good meer will help me get into the habit of smoking my pipe instead of reaching for a cigar. This means that the pipe I am looking for must be an "estate" pipe that you have personally smoked and smokes perfectly with little fuss.

Shape: Must be a medium to large pipe in a mostly traditional shape. I am not looking for a pipe with carved figures. Lattice or other designs on the pipe are welcome. I have a churchwarden so I probably don't want another.

Undamaged: As this will be the first meer that I really smoke, I plan on keeping it for a long time. The pipe should be undamaged and the stem/bit should not have too much wear.

Cost: I understand that quality block meer pipes can be hard to find these days. Pipes from well-known factories or carvers are preferred. I am willing to pay for quality but hope to save a few $$ by buying an estate pipe.

I am hoping someone out there has a great pipe in their collection that just doesn't get the love that it deserves... I'd love to adopt it from you and turn it into a daily smoker.

Please let me know.

-jeremy

What are you struggling with pipe smoking wise? The only real difference is there is no filter in Meerschaums, and they're a bit smoother due to the natural absorption of the Meerschaum itself. They actually make smoking a pipe a bit more of a chore, if you want to keep it looking pristine that is, as you will end up cleaning it more often than a normal pipe as it shows EVERYTHING a billion times more than a normal pipe due to it being white.

It seems you have done your research into them, but know that they do start to show wear very, very quickly. They absorb the tobacco and get a yellow hue quick. They are also a little bit harder to sterilize due to their material, since you can't really run any cleaners through them, just pipe cleaners. Just an FYI on buying them used.

Lastly, if you buy from a reputable site, you should be 100% happy with a new one. Meerschaum's don't smoke too different from each other if you're getting a quality block pipe, which you'd obviously want to get.

Best of luck with finding one!

Top Bottom