What's new

$300 for my dream Meerschaum...which carver or where do I look?

Ok, so I've squirreled away $300 to purchase a quality meer for MMM...I'm running way behind thanks to my illness and nearly month-long hospital stay but I hope I can find what I'm looking for. I don't care for figures or fantasy carved pipes nor skulls. Animals are interesting as are carved shapes and even just smooth shaped pipes. I'm already considering the LVC from Altinok but the pre-coloring is a pretty strong turn off for me. I've also been looking at Baki's but none have struck a chord with me yet. I'm looking for some other options for higher end meers. Give me your recommendations and suggestions or even dreams. Thanks gents.

Have you checked out anything from IMP?

I am not at all a meerschaum expert. Thats just a name I've heard pop up with some of the other good quality meer makers.

Altinok will make a one-off for you without the pre-coloring.

Baki is probably the #1 guy around, so if you're looking for the "once-in-a-lifetime dream meer", that's where I'd put my money.

H.Cor is an up and comer, but as previously noted (and I can attest firsthand) his waitlist is pretty long - you probably wouldn't get it by the end of March.

IMPs are a very reasonable option. I have one that I absolutely love, and you can get them at a nicer price than, say, a Baki or Altinok.

Is there any difference in the LVC pipe and their regular bent billiard? They look pretty close but sometimes pictures don't always tell the full story.

Have you checked out anything from IMP?

I am not at all a meerschaum expert. Thats just a name I've heard pop up with some of the other good quality meer makers.

I've looked at them a few times off and on...will definitely add them to the list to check out.

Altinok will make a one-off for you without the pre-coloring.

Baki is probably the #1 guy around, so if you're looking for the "once-in-a-lifetime dream meer", that's where I'd put my money.

H.Cor is an up and comer, but as previously noted (and I can attest firsthand) his waitlist is pretty long - you probably wouldn't get it by the end of March.

IMPs are a very reasonable option. I have one that I absolutely love, and you can get them at a nicer price than, say, a Baki or Altinok.

I seemed to remember someone on here posting that Altinok would make them with out the coloring but wasn't sure...either way, I sent a message to them asking about that option.

Baki is definitely a dream pipe for me...and I could get into one of his basic shapes at my current budget. The big question is will I be satisfied with that or do I spend a little less on something of higher quality than my Strambach and continue saving for a more intricately carved Baki that really speaks to me...hmmmm

The big question is will I be satisfied with that or do I spend a little less on something of higher quality than my Strambach and continue saving for a more intricately carved Baki that really speaks to me...hmmmm

The second choice. So you end up with more meers :thumbup:

I seemed to remember someone on here posting that Altinok would make them with out the coloring but wasn't sure...either way, I sent a message to them asking about that option.

Baki is definitely a dream pipe for me...and I could get into one of his basic shapes at my current budget. The big question is will I be satisfied with that or do I spend a little less on something of higher quality than my Strambach and continue saving for a more intricately carved Baki that really speaks to me...hmmmm
That was Owen. He did the legwork on it a few months back. They will do it for you, but I've no idea how long it will take to get your hands on it.
The second choice. So you end up with more meers :thumbup:
My take, and it runs contrary to every enabling bone in my body and the entire spirit of acquisition lunacy that is Meerschaum March Madness: more meers is not necessarily the answer.

Now, take this with a grain of salt coming from a guy with five (and one presumably on the way), but one of the most awesome things about meers is watching it color. And that is a long, slow process. The more meers you have, the fewer bowls each gets, etc, etc. And if you want to get an LVC looking like LVC's LVC...that's going to take some dedicated smoking.

I would definitely recommend against buying a Baki (or any pipe, really) that you don't love. Eventually you'll see one that you do love and regret it. You've got a Strambach. Take a look at IMPs or some of the other slightly less high end than Bakis, and if something speaks to you grab it. Or stick it out with the Strambach until you find "the" one. But don't get a Baki now just to get a Baki.

Just my two cents.

I agree with the above statement - wait until it is what you really want - As for me - I want a Peterson White Sherlock Meer!

Now, take this with a grain of salt coming from a guy with five (and one presumably on the way), but one of the most awesome things about meers is watching it color. And that is a long, slow process. The more meers you have, the fewer bowls each gets, etc, etc. And if you want to get an LVC looking like LVC's LVC...that's going to take some dedicated smoking.

Makes sense. :001_cool:

I completely agree with Price in post #9. That said, years ago one of the guys whose name was bandied about as a top carver was Ismet Bekler. One day I did a search on the bay for Bekler and ended up buying an unsmoked abstract shape. I don't care for fancy, or highly detailed, carving. There is one on the bay now that didn't get a buyer last time around, and just got relisted. I'm tempted but it is very like mine, and I don't really need another. It is very reasonably priced as well, along with a best offer option. I have no knowledge of the seller, or the specific pipe, beyond what I read in the listing.
Ismet Bekler Turkish Block Meerschaum Cased Sitter | eBay
Here is a photo of mine, you can see the resemblance.
Ismet_Bekler.jpg

There are more Baki's available than what shows up on the Baki pipe page. Just ask Deniz what you are looking for and you may get lucky. Or you could wait a little longer...he is expecting another shipment in three months time. I would recommend a Baki. The craftsmanship and engineering is excellent as well as the quality of the block meerschaum.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I received a very quick reply from Altinok referencing an uncolored LVC and upon request was sent the link from them to order said pipe. Same price as the pre-colored but no word on delivery time. Can't wait for it to get here!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice everyone. I received a very quick reply from Altinok referencing an uncolored LVC and upon request was sent the link from them to order said pipe. Same price as the pre-colored but no word on delivery time. Can't wait for it to get here!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Win.

Top Bottom