What's new

SHARK WEEK 2023: July 11-18!!

Shark Week Shave #4
IMG_0468.jpeg

Jaws shave 2

full

I carefully switched Jaws into a different razor and used the same edge as the last shave. Even in a Ti Bird, it's just not sharp! This is getting close to Tiger level of unsharpness. I want to say that it felt fine, but this was ridiculous, all the buffing needed and it still wasn't a close shave. So no irritaiton from being gummed by Jaws. Yay? :glare:

Sorry that I didn't get around to using any Sharks this year!

Still in July GRUME
Shark Week #6
7-17-23 Monday 2pm

Razor: K1 slim (3-3)
Blade: Shark stainless(3)
Soap: RR XXX
Brush: Semogue 1305
Pre: Shower
20230717_123737.jpg

Sixth Sharky Shave of the week.
Almost ran out of time to shave but managed a quicky.
2 passes at setting #3 N-S and then #3 S-N

Overall a DFS

Be well
Jay

Shark Week Shave 7

Gillette NEW Short Comb
Third blade -- Shark Super Chrome (1)
Etc. Etc...

Binned the last blade because it was dull out of the box, though still shaveable. Decided to mix it up a bit using a razor with teeth, the NEW Short Comb. Overall not a bad shave. Blade quality was somewhere between the first two, just a bit of tugging. The SC seemed a good match for this blade.

Still no blood but I still have one shave to go!

July 17, 2023 Monday SHARK! Shave

Razor: Razorock Game Changer .84P w/ Vintage Thin Bar Handle
Blade: SHARK! Super Stainless (2)
Soap: Tabac Original, tallow
Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
Post Shave: Osma alum block, T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice TOP SECRET evaluation sample B

As a last shave for SHARK! Week, I used the RR GC .84P. It hadn't been used in two months, and now I wonder why. It's a great razor and along with the SHARK! Super Stainless, produced a very good shave. No blood, no drama, etc, no irritation. The SHARKS left hungry; too bad better luck next year!

10/10 BSS (Baby Seal Smooth!) < SHARKS! love 'em!

SHARK! WEEK was a great adventure this year, and a big thanks to @BigJ for hosting the spectacular event!

Have a productive and enjoyable day!

Shark Week Shave #7
20230717_175728.jpg
I have used all 3 species of Shark blades over the week. Decided I would have my Wife pick one of the three used blades at random.

Blade: Super Stainless (2)
Razor: JAWs .84
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis
Soap: Arko
A/S: VIBR

This was shave #3 for this blade. My least favorite of the three species. The shark did not go hungry, had one dot on my neck but still a DFS and no irritation aside from the usual tugging ATG common for me with this blade.

Shark week has been a lot of fun. So much so I will continue on to finish the Chrome and Platinum blades this week. May even try the Stainless in my Rex to see how it works.

Thanks @BigJ for hosting the event!

Shave #4 with the Shark Platinum was nice and smooth. I might have noticed a bit of dullness but I think this blade will see me through the entire week.

Last shave of Shark Week '23 (for me) today. Shave number 5 with the plat and it was a bit dull so I binned it after the shave. I have an old mans grizzled beard and I prefer sharper blades. My favorites being WSI / PSI and KCG. Some day if I run out of those I would gladly replace them with Shark and Lord Platinums.

So to wrap up the week I had a great experience with Shark Platinums and there was no blood in the water. Thanks for lining this up again @BigJ . Cheers!!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20230717_122934.jpg

365 shaves in 2023
Shave#197 of 365 (100% 168 left)
Muhle Monday
MdC Monday
Shark Week

Razor:
Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Shark SS (3)
Brush: Muhle Rocca R94 STF
Soap: MdC Original
A/S: Proraso Green
Moisturizer: Nivea Hyaluron
First Aid: Osma alum block, Witch Hazel, a new face to replace my injured one

Tonight for MdC/Muhle Monday Original lathered with my new Rocca R94 STF brush. The Rocca R94 razor loaded with the Shark SS blade provided the shave. Lathering with the Rocca brush is different to the Kosmo though they both use the 21mm STF knot the Rocca knot is more compact and slightly shorter than the Kosmo. In use the extra weight of the heavy handle is easy to use.
The shave was excellent and gave me a close, very near BBS.

Thanks to @BigJ for hosting this year's event and the members who took part and thanks to all the medical professionals who have put the members back together again.

Tue 18 Shark Week 🦈
Soap & Aftershave The Goodfellas Smile Sea Citrus
Brush Yaqi 24mm Atlantis
Razor Yaqi DLC
Blade JAWS Platinum 3rd
The lather was epic and slick, whip-up nicely by the excellent brush. The soap & splash smells great!
This razor and blade pairing was very good. 3 smooth, efficient, and comfortable passes for a bbs-dfs finish. No blood today!
20230718_090348.jpg

I stuck with my toothy Gillette New LC for today’s shave. I had about 32 hours growth after yesterday’s early shave, so I took it slow over rough terrain. Some blood: that one weeper peeked out again briefly. It turned out to be a fairly close and enjoyable shave #15 on the blade, a 9.6 / 10.

Date
365 daily shaves
194/365
GRUME July
18/31
SOTMC
18/31
Consistency Shaves
16/31
Blade Biter’s Archive03/32

RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Piccolo Nickel*
Shark Platinum (12)Kox Blue Synthetic
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Dutchy BergamotCold splash
Aftershave
Balm
* OEM Handle

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20 m)9/10 (some spots)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.75/10 (DFS+++)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to this shave:

General - Final day of Shark Week and just like last year only used one blade. Thanks @BigJ for putting this together again! I had a blast again and discovered yet another excellent blade! The blade did reach its end for me as I got a couple of tiny weepers during the ATG.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Shark Week 2023 Finale

The final fun shave for Shark Week. A big thank you to @BigJ for organizing this event. This year was my first, and the first time using Shark blades with so many razors.

Today's Finale was the fatip Piccolo OC V1 in Nickel.

The Shark Super Chrome blade feel during the shave had that drag feeling which I felt using the first Super Chrome blade as well. I believe it's the coating.

Three full passes plus a touch pass around mustache and chin area for an excellent incident free shave.

I guess the Sharks made their truce, so that I participate again next year !

Thank you everyone for your excellent Shark Week SOTDs with entertaining stories.

I am only left with a question on where to source Jaws and Sword blades !

20230718_073538.jpg

My third and last shave of Shark Week 2023.

Pearl Flexi Open Comb with the Shark Super Chrome.
Master Soap Creations - Vintage Spice
Simpson Captain 2 - Best Badger

I only saw the Shark Week 2023 post with three days left to go.
I came out unscathed but I guess that should be expected with only spending three days in the waters.
I also left the Flexi OC until last and took my time today!

Big thanks to @BigJ for playing MC.

Some thoughts on the Pearl Flexi OC.
Firstly That Handle! Not only does it look awesome its also very non-slip. I find that low down its a great weekend shaver and at the other end it's very effecient.
It's excellent value for money.

See Y'all next year...
sotd230718.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
High Efficiency Summah/Gentlemanly Restraint/Shark Week

Last night’s opulent and stupendous shave
RazoRock JAWS 0.84 28/100
Shark Super Stainless (2)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Whipped Dog Butterscotch 30mm boar brush 2/100
Pre-shave: no
Lather: Wickham’s 1912 Club Cola, face-loaded/face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

It was a comfortable shave. It was a bloodless shave. The brush had enough soap and the lather had enough water. The blade decided it gave me enough the shave before and wanted everything done in triplicate. I’ll catch another blade for the final shave of Shark Week tonight.

Razor: Aristocrat 1948-50
Blade: JAWS (7)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps - Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger

A very nice shave to end Shark Week, though I buffed a little too much on my neck and ended up with a bit of irritation. Can't fault the JAWS blade though, it performed very well throughout the whole week. I always use an aftershave that doesn't contain alcohol when I get some irritation, and I find Lucky Tiger to be one of the most soothing.

Thank you @BigJ for once again hosting Shark Week. These little soirees are a lot of fun and your time and effort is very much appreciated, kind sir. 🍻View attachment 1687682
I have that same model razor I picked up at antique store. I have only used it a few times preferring GC and Lupo.72. Then a couple of days ago put in a Rapira blade and gave it a go with a very pleasant close and comfortable shave. I had used it within the first couple of months shaving with a de razor, now a year and a half later I can truly appreciate it's capability.

I have that same model razor I picked up at antique store. I have only used it a few times preferring GC and Lupo.72. Then a couple of days ago put in a Rapira blade and gave it a go with a very pleasant close and comfortable shave. I had used it within the first couple of months shaving with a de razor, now a year and a half later I can truly appreciate it's capability.
The Aristocrats are all excellent razors, but my preference would be with the 1948-50 model over the others. It's not as aggressive as the versions that came before it, so it's easier to shave with it than the others. It's a wonderfully designed razor and is definitely my favorite Gillette.

Top Bottom