What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF: Surf vs Turf - Battle of the Beast Blades!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7871.jpeg

Surf versus Turf Battle of the Beast Blades 2023.​

Second last shave in this Battle of the Beast Blades for 2023. Sixth shave on my last Pink/Blue Flying Eagle blade. I gave myself a pretty good nick on the right side of my chin on my first pass. Funnily it didn’t bleed that much but the next two passes I had to gingerly over the nick so I didn’t open it up any more. When I applied my Alum Block there was plenty of sting. After my shower and applying my aftershave balm I have a blood red scab where the nick is. Its been an interesting final week for me in this blade battle.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_7929.jpeg

Surf versus Turf Battle of the Beast Blades 2023 final shave.​

Last shave in this Battle of the Beast blades for 2023. Last shave with my last blade the Pink/Blue Flying Eagle. Weepers galore this morning, several on both cheeks and a weeper on the point of my chin. Plenty of sting when I used my Alum Block. What a final week, was it me, the blade, the razor or a combination of all three. Anyway, a special thanks to @Grundi and @AnimalCatcher and @lasta and @Chard52142 for supplying the blades for this Battle and sending out the blades worldwide. It has been a very interesting experience.

Sorry for the Long absence. I have been testing the ZAZA blade using a Superspeed and juriken Turkish soap with a blue tipped badger brush. I am on shave six. This blade each shave has had to cut down a jungle a week or more of growth and do it in a hurry each shave. Each time, it succeeded with no nicks, scraps, or cuts. I had to do very little touch up work, and in one case got by with basically a one pass shave with little touch up. I am debating about making these my travel blades to use as back up on the road when my main blade needs to be changed out. I have yet to notice significant dulling. All things considered due to how thick my facial hair or beard in a couple cases was, this is a high feet.

I am not part of the official PIF, but @lasta has provided me with the mentioned Beast Blades - so I thought I would drop by nonetheless. Here are my summary results. More about my scoring system/method can be found here.

RazorbladeRazorShaveEffectivenessComfort
RhinoMühle R411810
RhinoTimeless Ti952+379
RhinoNEW Short Comb4+587.5
RhinoFlat Bottom Tech688
Flying Eagle (pink)Lambda Athena1+288
Flying Eagle (pink)Gillette Aristocrat378
Flying Eagle (pink)New Improved4+578
JianyuRazorine Flatboy176
JianyuNEW RFB2810

By comparison I used a Shark Chrome blade for 18 shaves with different razors with only the last shave scoring 7.5. All other scores were 8-9 which in my systems equals DFS+(++) to BBS results. The Rhino blade is the only one I see coming close to those results, but with varying levels of comfort depending on the razor. The pink Flying Eagle (I am currently using a second blade) is the worst of the blades. Or at least I cannot get it to work for me.

I had much fun in trying out these different blades. I see it as one step closer to finding the one blade to rule them all (which I may have already found in the Dorco Titan, but variety is the spice of life!). Thanks @lasta!

It is "July in Christmas"

Tidying up my storage shelf this morning I discovered the second purple Flying Eagle, fresh and unused. Being my frugal self, I thought I would employ it for today's shave.

Looking back at my entries in July, this blade was ejected from competition as the only blade that drew blood. Perhaps the first blade was a dud. Well, this morning's shave proved that I just don't get along with this blade. Well, at least it got used once.

20231222_101427.jpg

It is "July in Christmas"

Tidying up my storage shelf this morning I discovered the second purple Flying Eagle, fresh and unused. Being my frugal self, I thought I would employ it for today's shave.

Looking back at my entries in July, this blade was ejected from competition as the only blade that drew blood. Perhaps the first blade was a dud. Well, this morning's shave proved that I just don't get along with this blade. Well, at least it got used once.

View attachment 1768114
It seems that your a day late & a dollar short on doing this blade review. :w00t:

I’ll pop this thread back up today. I found a Pink/Yellow Flying Eagle. I snapped it in half and used it in my Parker SoloEdge. Had this not hidden away I wouldn’t have been able to use it in this recently released razor. First use.

The shave was pleasant, close and efficient. The Pink/Yellow wasn’t the best of these blades. Still quite nice

Top Bottom