What's new

A Damascus Straight in the Works

OK, first off, I'm just letting you know this thread is about a razor and not semantics. Semantics are fine, and the Lord knows I can be adamant about them myself... :001_rolle

I'll be happy to discuss definitions on another thread about my usage in this thread of the term "damascus" with anyone. I just don't want there to be a lost plot to this specific story here because someone wants to take a detour in some other valley by insisting that the razor is pattern welded steel and doesn't qualify as damascus.

I am in the process of making a damascus razor from some steel I was finally able to have Robert Eggerling make for me. I actually started working on the concept a couple years ago. When I asked Robert over the phone if he calls his work "pattern welded steel" or "damascus", he said it didn't matter much to him, but that he refers to his work as "damascus". End of story on that one as far as I am concerned.

Now, on to the story behind this razor I am about to make. (That doesn't have a buyer yet :smile:) I have made a couple damascus razors in the past that I am not particularly fond of. Bill Coffey also made one with its own unique set of problems that do not occur in the manufacture of a knife. A knife, as we all know, has a thicker blade... razors do not.

Because of the thin walls necessary on a razor to make it serviceable, there is an occurrence that is commonplace with all straight razor blades made out of damascus. Almost all of them have a tendency to micro-chip where the two (or three) different steels converge with an acute angle at the cutting edge. This is not a good thing. While these razors can give a satisfying shave, they can also catch a hair just right and it will feel like someone is pulling on your face with a set of pliers. This is why you don't see me making damascus razors.

Until now...

With that said, Tim Zowada has solved the issue on his razors because he tries to make the cutting edge wherein only one of the steels is running parallel to it. There are other damascus type steels some makers have used that incorporate a different type of steel sandwiched between two other steels. Normally, these sandwiched steels are not all that as far as I am concerned.

I like the tighter patterns of damascus on the smaller blades of a straight razor. I think Robert came up with what I was looking for. We'll see how it works. Robert welded a strip of 1084 carbon steel for the cutting edge to the other two steels he used for the pattern. After I get it done and etched, there should be some sharp contrasts that pop out visually.

I'm stoked!

A couple gemstones strategically placed and a bit of practice with some gold-wire inlay and I'll be able to compete with Seraphim's Double Arrows... :wink:

Wicked :cool:

What do you have planned for this one?

Sorry, Ben... no tours on this one. My trust only goes so far... :wink:

If it shaves good, I'll sell it. If not, I'll keep it as a wall-hanger.

superbleu... you may want to check the bank for interest rates first... :eek:

Sorry, Ben... no tours on this one. My trust only goes so far... :wink:

If it shaves good, I'll sell it. If not, I'll keep it as a wall-hanger.

superbleu... you may want to check the bank for interest rates first... :eek:

Oh, Bill... a Traveling Tour for the Damascus? Even MY humor has limits, good sir... But since you offered, I do suppose I could show the new girl around the City of Lost Angels :lol:

I was actually wondering about the style... :tongue_sm

Oh, Bill... a Traveling Tour for the Damascus? Even MY humor has limits, good sir... But since you offered, I do suppose I could show the new girl around the City of Lost Angels :lol:

I was actually wondering about the style... :tongue_sm
What offer? :smile:

Ahem... style? Y'mean like the one that is outlined on the second photo? :rolleyes:

If you are just looking for the name, it's called the "humpback".

What offer? :smile:

Ahem... style? Y'mean like the one that is outlined on the second photo? :rolleyes:

If you are just looking for the name, it's called the "humpback".

Why I figured when you said "no tours" you were obviously implying that it would only visit me... I wouldn't call that a tour... just a little visit :lol::lol:

Sure, sure, a humpback.... style as in, etching, engraving, carving, scales etc...

For instance, you could make this one into some wicked grim reaper piece with a carved human spine for the spine spine and a skull with ruby eyes at the head with tombstone scales... just a thought. :punk:

Last edited:
Why I figured when you said "no tours" you were obviously implying that it would only visit me... I wouldn't call that a tour... just a little visit :lol::lol:

Sure, sure, a humpback.... style as in, etching, engraving, carving, scales etc...

For instance, you could make this one into some wicked grim reaper piece with a carved human spine for the spine spine and a skull with ruby eyes at the head with tombstone scales... just a thought. :punk:
Ahh! Embellishments. Now I understand.

Style is humpback.

Embellishments would include but are not limited to a gold inlay celtic do-dad on top of the spine with a couple 2mm diamonds for contrast. The tang would have a gold wire inlay border. Maybe ivory scales... haven't decided yet.

This already sounds and looks amazing, and knowing your work this will turn into a work of art! Can't wait to see the finished product. If it looks menacing enough, maybe you could call it the "Bill Ellis Girlie-Man Killer".:thumbup1:

Hmn, I have a credit card in my wallet, with a zero balance, and a 12k limit.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend would likely immediately cut my head off with it, or walk out never to talk to me again if I dropped the kind of cash for a Regular Ellis razor.(is there such a thing?)

I am going to sit this one out, or go buy a winning lotto ticket.:thumbup::frown:

Hmn, I have a credit card in my wallet, with a zero balance, and a 12k limit.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend would likely immediately cut my head off with it, or walk out never to talk to me again if I dropped the kind of cash for a Regular Ellis razor.(is there such a thing?)

I am going to sit this one out, or go buy a winning lotto ticket.:thumbup::frown:

"This is an investment Baby!"

Top Bottom