What's new

Ogallala Bay Rum burn?

I just got in some Ogallala Bay Rum AS and after my shave this morning I splashed some on (yep, I shook it well).

After a few seconds a deep burn set it. Like, a really bad burn I wasn't expecting at all. I did have a small rough patch on my neck, which I figured would sting a little no matter what AS I used, but my entire face just lit up for 20 seconds or so.

It was bordered on unpleasant, and I was just curious if that was normal with this AS? Other than the half-minute of pain, I love the scent!

Thanks,
Jacob

That was either a bad batch or an allergic reaction. Ogallala is probably the mildest alcohol based aftershave I've ever used, mainly because of all the witch hazel in it. Even with a really bad shave I've yet to notice really any type of burn from the Ogallala.

I use Ogallala and Masters.....no problem.......you could always sell it......:wink: 700 posts!!!!!!! sweet!!!!!

H

Hanzo

My experience echoes Robs , I find the OAS extremely mild and as he says you can really detect the heavy witch hazel component. I use it to quell razor burn and never had any burn from it whatsoever.

I definitely get the same burn from Ogallala! It takes a couple seconds for it to set in but once it does....whooeee!! I've grown accustomed to it, though, and kind of like it. A good, clean burn.

Maybe it reacts with certain skin types? I've got a slightly ruddy complexion.

I get a refreshing 'sting' after splashing it on. I wouldn't call it a burn so to speak. It lasts a bit then goes away. I don't think I have ever had an aftershave that didn't bite a little. I have noticed that it is direct proportion to the soap I use though, so you might want to try that variable.

I get the same feeling when I splash it on my chest. It feels like the Vicks Vapo Rub stuff my Mom would give me when I had a cold as a kid.

My experience is that the original bay rum a/s burns like fire when I apply it to my face. Like most others, I love the scent and have just learned to live with it. However, the interesting thing to me is my reaction to the other Ogallala a/s scents. The limes and peppercorns my face absolutely cannot take...I'm red for an hour or more after applying it. However, the bay rum and sandalwood seems to be really mild (and smells the best of them imho). I wonder if there is some inconsistency between batches? My favorite a/s is Thayer's witch hazel which I get ZERO burn with, so I assumed the bay rum would be similiar.
Greg

its a shame as it has a beautifull smell ,i had a great bath,shave and then for a splash of this ogla stuff .
i bought the special reserve,first aplication went well no burn ,time for a liberal splash around the old bod.my screams were heard fours doors away as i hopped around the bathroom.it was sort of a heat wave all over all at once.be very very carefull where you splash this stuff if you know what i mean.
i thought i might have to go to the hospital!

Used some this morning and didn't experience the least bit of discomfort. I should note that I first splash on pure Witch Hazel and then my AS splash, either Musgo or Ogalla. In using Pinaud BR, I concur that it burns like the fires of hell to the point I'm considering getting rid of the stuff.

Joeman

Used some this morning and didn't experience the least bit of discomfort. I should note that I first splash on pure Witch Hazel and then my AS splash, either Musgo or Ogalla. In using Pinaud BR, I concur that it burns like the fires of hell to the point I'm considering getting rid of the stuff.

Joeman

The Pinaud BR is not meant to be used as an aftershave, though it had been used as such almost as long as its been around. Try cutting it with water if you wish to continue using it as an aftershave.

The Pinaud BR is not meant to be used as an aftershave, though it had been used as such almost as long as its been around. Try cutting it with water if you wish to continue using it as an aftershave.

Thanks Rob, I'll give that a try as you can't beat it for the price.

Joe

You certainly can't! I've been saying for years that though I've tried pretty much every "name" Bay Rum on the planet, I always come back to the Pinaud Virgin Island. Ogallala is a close second, and both of them are on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

BTW, I have an old Pinaud leaflet that recommends 2 parts Bay Rum, 1 part Witch Hazel (or astringent) and 1 part water as a barbershop aftershave mixture. Even a hundred years ago, guys were complaining about the sting. :biggrin:

I find Pinauds Bay Rum to be perfect, as is, for an aftershave.

It really lets you know when you have been heavy handed with your razor (straight or DE)

A gentle warming when you shave properly, and a lovely burn as a lesson if you over buff your jaw line.

I find Pinauds Bay Rum to be perfect, as is, for an aftershave.

It really lets you know when you have been heavy handed with your razor (straight or DE)

A gentle warming when you shave properly, and a lovely burn as a lesson if you over buff your jaw line.

+1. No need to cut it with anything.

Wow - didn't realize it affected so many people differently! I thought it might be a little unusual since it's a witch hazel AS and I thought it would be more soothing.

It's right on the border between a "good" burn and too much.

Thanks all!
Jacob

Top Bottom