What's new

Does anybody go bevel set >> coticule>> jnat

I've done it a bit. I prefer Bevel -> DMT 8k -> Jnat, it's a good bit faster. Nothing really to watch out for. It works fine. I didn't use a botan, a coti finish went to Mejiro slurry just fine.

If you convex the bevel too much on Coti slurry, finishing on the Jnat will be more difficult.
Usually not a problem, but it can happen.

I do it pretty often actually. I se a DMT 1200 for a bevel setter and i think this method helps to clean up the bevel a little bit before my JNAT. However I usually start back at botan and do a full progression after some time on the coticule.

I have done full dilucots onto my JNAT. If i do a full dilucot I usually just go mejiro then Tomo on the JNAT but more often then that ill use the coticule only a little to clean up the bevel instead of a full dilucot.

I don't see the point of this. When you hone on a coti you do it because you want a coti edge. If you'll finish on a JNAT you'll get a JNAT edge. I'd rather do a Nagura progression after the 1K if it's the JNAT edge you want.

I don't see the point of this. When you hone on a coti you do it because you want a coti edge. If you'll finish on a JNAT you'll get a JNAT edge. I'd rather do a Nagura progression after the 1K if it's the JNAT edge you want.

Experimenting is fun and I saw Ali's blade do it so i was curious

I was already expressing my surprise about this method on the Ali's blades thread. I'm curious too. If you do it don't forget to post your experiences.

Edit: I might add that I never had much succes with a coti. I just did not get the level of sharpness I wanted. That's one reason I switched to JNATs, where I get jaw dropping results almost all of the time. I therefore can understand the need to refine a coti edge on a JNAT, especially if you like honing on a coti. It's just the concept of mixing two different natural stones from different continents that feels somehow "wrong" to me.

Last edited:
I was already expressing my surprise about this method on the Ali's blades thread. I'm curious too. If you do it don't forget to post your experiences.

Edit: I might add that I never had much succes with a coti. I just did not get the level of sharpness I wanted. That's one reason I switched to JNATs, where I get jaw dropping results almost all of the time. I therefore can understand the need to refine a coti edge on a JNAT, especially if you like honing on a coti. It's just the concept of mixing two different natural stones from different continents that feels somehow "wrong" to me.

Would you mind posting this link to Alis Thread ? I do not know it...

When using this method I don't usually try to get an my type if shavable edge off the coti. I do it because it makes the bevel easier to clean up for my nagura

This is my main progression.
Chosera 1k, Coti / Okudo/Ohira Suita slurryd with DMT (instead of coti sometimes), and the final finisher just with DMT Slurry. No problems there, and one of the most speedy ways to sharpen a razor.

greets Sebastian

The progression from 1K to my Ozuku/Botan is really smooth. That stone is not the hardest and rather fast. So I don't feel the need to put a stone in between. That's different for my hard Nakayama, where the gap would be too big. Reason I sometimes use Nakayama after the Ozuku. Not always because I'm really satisfied by the Ozuku/Tomo edge.

I used to go Naniwa 1K, Coticule, JNat. Thinking about it logically once you go Jnat, especially if you do so with any type of slurry you're effectively eliminating the "Coticule" edge so what's the point. Coticule edges means finishing on a coticule and going straight to clean linen and leather. If you go to anything after the coticule, CrOx, FeO, Diamond Spray, CDN, A1 Steak Sauce whatever, it stops being a coticule edge, it's that simple.

I therefore can understand the need to refine a coti edge on a JNAT, especially if you like honing on a coti. It's just the concept of mixing two different natural stones from different continents that feels somehow "wrong" to me.

I can sympathize with this sentiment. That's what started my interest in Arkansas stones, as they were coming from the same geographical location.

I used to go Naniwa 1K, Coticule, JNat. Thinking about it logically once you go Jnat, especially if you do so with any type of slurry you're effectively eliminating the "Coticule" edge so what's the point. Coticule edges means finishing on a coticule and going straight to clean linen and leather. If you go to anything after the coticule, CrOx, FeO, Diamond Spray, CDN, A1 Steak Sauce whatever, it stops being a coticule edge, it's that simple.

I'm just using the coti (actually the bbw side) as a step between the bevel and slate/.25 diamond finishers.

Top Bottom