What's new

Muhle 2011 Synthetic...new, serious contender

I remember back when I joined B&B, before the "Boar Renaissance", badger brushes reigned supreme. The general consensus was that boars were okay but clearly inferior, and synthetics were hardly ever mentioned. Even today, synthetic brush threads are lucky to get more than a few replies, and one of those is always "They're crap...go with a quality badger." Such is their plight.

They got a little more talk in 2009 when Omega and Muhle (along with Edwin Jagger) released their respective new synthetic fibers, and last year when Taylor released theirs. They were better, but there were still some drawbacks. The fibers were soft but splayed awkwardly, sometimes prickly when wet, and face lathering was more difficult. But, even so, if you read Gary Young's interview that he recently gave to this website, he stated that he believed that the future of shaving brushes lay away from natural hair.

Well, based on this evidence, I can agree with that. Muhle's new synthetic hair, which they've dubbed "Silver Tip Fiber" and developed side-by-side with silvertip badger hair, is very impressive. It's superior to their synthetic fiber of just 2 years ago. If you didn't know beforehand that it was synthetic, when you first look at the brush, it would be hard to tell. It looks different, feels different, and side-by-side with an Edwin Jagger Super badger, it is eerily similar. But it's more than a gimmick. It performs differently to the 2009 fiber as well. When I first saw it on Muhle's US website and inquired about it, I received an email from a rep of Muhle Germany. He seemed genuinely excited about it, and said that they didn't just change its appearance, it was an all-new product, and even went so far to say that it just might be the "better" choice to badger in terms of creating lather and durability. Bold claim indeed. Sure, it was borne of marketing and salesmanship, but was he onto something? I was curious.

So the brush came yesterday (it wasn't in stock at Muhle US, so it came from Germany). I've tested it with a soap and a cream. I've shaved with it. And while there are a few drawbacks, it's clearly a huge step forward for synthetic. It's gone a long way to close the gap with natural hair, and I believe I'm experienced enough at this point with all kinds of brushes to say that.

Quality: It's Muhle. They make quality stuff. Well built, nice resin handle.

Knot: Again, it's Muhle, so it's not the densest thing in the world, but it's more dense than the first brush I ever got, a Muhle Pure badger. It's also slightly more dense than my Edwin Jagger Super, and noticeably denser than my Muhle 2009 synthetic.. I got a "size medium" brush, with a 21mm knot and I don't really know the loft (Muhle), but I would guess it's about 50mm-52mm, which is taller than I'm used to with non-boar brushes.

Hair: I guess it would be more correct to say "Fiber," but like I said before, the similarity to natural badger is quite remarkable. Side-by-side with my EJ Super, in natural light, there is a striking resemblance. It even FEELS like natural hair; very soft, with a little bit of scritch. But if you look closely, you can see that it's synthetic by the slight sheen the fibers give off in the light and the middle "stripe." But below the stripe and with the tips, this is eerily similar to Super badger. The tips even have the color variation that real hair does.

I know there are those who think this is a gimmick and there's a point to be made there. After all, if hair is synthetic, why make it look like badger? I don't know. I thought the color of the previous fiber was fine, but I guess Muhle thought that if they changed the texture of the hair they might as well change its appearance too.

Performance: Here's the substance. I tested it with Klar Klassik soap and Proraso cream. Both times, it made wonderful lather (synthetic fibers usually do, even if they've never been recognized for it on this forum, so this was no surprise). And I noticed immediately when loading the brush on the puck of Klar that they have solved the "splay" issue. This synthetic fiber does NOT stick together like a tube, making loading from a soap and face-lathering awkward. It spreads on soap and on the face just like natural hair, behaves like natural hair, and most importantly, retains water and moist lather like natural hair. Lather does not dry out in this brush like it does with Omega and 2009 Muhle Synthetics.

In terms of water retention, it's comparable to boar. It lathers cream and soap as well as badger or boar. Both times I got mountains of lather. In terms of heat retention, there's room for improvement, but I'm not complaining. So if there are drawbacks here, like I said, first would be heat retention. Second would be more of a personal thing -- the loft and density of the knot is pure Muhle/EJ style, so the drawbacks that come with that type of brush are the same with this brush. For now, as this is a Muhle development, that's the only option. Perhaps in the near future we'll see other companies copying this fiber and using it to make shorter, denser brushes.

This is a huge step forward, quite an innovative triumph from Muhle. In a few years, synthetics could probably be true equals to badgers. In the coming days I'll test it with more creams and soaps, but I don't really think I'll uncover any drawbacks. So if this is truly the way that shaving brushes are moving, based on this evidence, I don't think anyone can really complain.

*.....Cue "Terminator" theme music....* :laugh::tongue_sm

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6auDCAGJgE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Could you make a comparison with the TGN synthetic knots?
I've never used a TGN sythetic knot. But from the website picture, it looks like the "improved" fiber that Omega developed in 2008/09. If that's the case, this new Muhle fiber is superior to it, in terms of natural hair splay and moisture retention. From what I remember of my Omega "new" synthetic (since sold to a friend), it was annoying in those respects. And you couldn't face-lather it as easily as you could with badger or boar. This new fiber is perfect in that respect.

Sounds promising. If they have the fiber down, now they need to work on the knot.
Yeah I agree. I can only wonder if Rooney, Simpson, or even Shavemac would take a chance on copying this fiber if they got their hands on it. The picture on Muhle's website doesn't do it justice....in the flesh it resembles natural hair in so many ways you just have to applaud to folks at Muhle. They seem proud of it and justifiably so.

I have no idea why they are so wedded to the high-lofted, less dense knots though. But even so this is a great brush to use. Face-lathering was a pleasure.

I wonder if you could write Muhle and offer to pay for just a knot to put in a handle yourself? Seems like it would be worth a shot.

I wonder if you could write Muhle and offer to pay for just a knot to put in a handle yourself? Seems like it would be worth a shot.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

Or to possibly ask Muhle for a one off brush with a shorter loft. It seems like most shavers prefer to have at least one, dense, short lofted brush for face lathering.

Muhle used to have a thing where you could build your own shaving kit, brush, razor, etc. But I believe that they have gotten rid of it now. They're a small company though and focused on customer service it seems. If you asked them for just a knot I'm sure they'll sell you one. Just be mindful that it'll come from Germany though. The US distributor in Florida doesn't have the new synthetic in stock.

I've also just gotten back from testing it on multiple creams and soaps. It performed well on all of them, less dense, tall knot and all.

MWF: 8/10....very good lather. I can do better with a boar though. The synth did better in less time and with less water than a Rooney 3/1. however.

Harris Arlington: 10/10. Good god. Brush loaded enough in 10-12 swirls, but I did 20 just for fun. Mounds of lather.

EJ Sandalwood: 10/10. Perhaps I should've seen this coming. EJ and Muhle soaps are identical, so of course this Muhle brush destroyed it.

TOBS & La Toja cream: 10/10. Sure, creams are easy to lather. But synthetic bristles have always maximized creams and this is no exception.

Very interesting, Kevan. Thanks for checking this out and reporting on your results. :thumbsup: My only experience with synthetic fiber is a $12 Body Shop brush that I've used in the past, but its performance is nowhere near what you describe in the Mühle.

How much did it cost, out of curiosity?

And.... I hate to say it..... pics?

It wasn't cheap. ~$70 shipped. But it's the same price as Muhle's badgers with the "normal" handles. Since I've sold all my "less dense" brushes and my old Omega synthetic I justified splurging on this. :p

As for pics....I don't have a decent camera. If I can take some with my phone that won't look like utter crap, I'll post them.

Pic showing New synthetic on the left and 2009 model on the right. Sorry for the crappy photo. All I have is a phone camera and for some reason it focuses the background and not the object when you're close up.

Second pic....closeup of hair, but the camera failed miserably (or maybe I did).

Last edited:
OK. The older model looks like the TGN type synth knot.

The new one looks completely different & like nothing I've seen before.

Hello brother!

I just started using a Muhle Stylo with the Silver Tip Fibers. Just incredible. Softer on the face when painting than anything else I own, which includes a very soft boar.

My best lathering brush I have (and the best at giving it up) is a vintage Ever-Ready 500N. Not initially soft on the face when face-lathering, but just an incredible lather machine once it gets going. I haven't used it in awhile (was feeling sorry for my badger who hadn't been used in a year), so will need to alternate days with the Muhle.

Regarding the Muhle, have had any success bowl lathering? I tried that initially and had little luck making a decent lather. Switched to the face and BAM, off the brush went....

Steve

I haven't tried bowl-lathering because I lather on the face 100% of the time. I'll give it a shot though. Based on how easy the hair splays when lathering on a soap puck, I would think that bowl lathering would be a cinch. I'll see.

In my opinion it feels like a cross between their 2009 hair and standard Super badger hair when you lather on the face. The 2009 brush is the softest shaving brush I've ever encountered; this new one has a bit more scritch to it but still very soft. Doesn't have the prickliness that Omega's fibers have when wet.

Nice review on the new Silvertip fibre, thanks a lot. I've read so much about it on a German shave forum that I have ordered two brushes, one regular one and a travel shave brush in a nickel tube. Can't wait to receive them, especially after reading Kevan's post above.

Now being able to compare my brush to your and Muhle's pictures, I have the older synth hairs (2009?).

That's kinda cool. That means I can order the new brush head to try it out.

Steve

Whoa - they've definitely made it LOOK a lot more like Badger.

I haven't looked around much, but are they essentially available from Mühle for now?

Gary Young said in the interview he had with B&B that he expected that natural hair would not be used in the future. I hope he is wrong, but am afraid that he is not.

This thread eased my mind considarably. Great to know that there are already artificial hairs that perform well. It seems that I will be using shaving brushes for the rest of my life.:thumbup:

I will be following this thread with great interest.

Top Bottom