What's new

Patience and Consistency, or What To Do When Frustrated

There seems to be a common theme that comes up a lot, for relative beginners to classic wet shaving. For some, it happens sooner, for others a little later. And for a few lucky folks, never. But this is not an easy skill to learn for everyone, so frustration often rears its ugly head.

I thought I would post a little advice for trying to overcome that frustration, or at least what worked for me. I am hardly an expert, but this is based on what others have told me, and as I say, it worked for me.

On starting into this, it is very easy to get very excited, and build up very high expectations. After all, we are always talking about how classic wet shaving revolutionized shaving for us, turning an unpleasant thing to be gotten through with into something truly enjoyable. And all that it true, but the thing that is easy for forget, starting out, is that it does not happen overnight for everyone. If you just started, and it did for you, congrats, and you can stop reading, this is not really for you. If you are like I was a week or two in, and starting to ask, "what's the big deal, why am I spending twice as much time on a shave half as good as I got with a Mach 3," then read on.

Step back, and have a little patience. As Scotto wisely said recently, to a frustrated newbie "breath." Just take it easy, do your best to enjoy, and the rest will come.

Here is my suggestions for what to do, when you keep working at things, and not improving. This has all been posted before, but perhaps it will help to post it again.

1) Pick one simple setup. The natural instinct, when things are not going well, is to blame the products, and go searching for something better. This is counterproductive. Everybody has their favorite DE, and some may be marginally better for some people. Same with creams. But if you are a newbie, and having trouble even getting a decent shave, this is not your problem, almost certainly. It is your technique. You may or may not want to hear that, but it is true. And the more you try to experiment with other things to improve your shave, the more you are distracting yourself from focusing on improving your technique, the one thing that will really work. So pick one razor, one blade, one brush, one or two creams or one or two soaps. It really does not matter that much which of any you pick, as long as it is one of the dozens that are recognized all over the forum as decent. Use as many flavors of the cream or soap you pick as you want, you just want one brand, or two similar ones, so that they lather the same.

You do not need to be fancy or complicated with your routine. Read Kyle's sticky on Pre-shave, and do a basic pre-shave routine, that is simple, and always consistent. Lather in a bowl, because it is easier to learn to do it consistently this way, and to see what is working, and what is not. Shave. Then rinse, and apply aftershave. Nothing more. You do not need 5 different post shave steps. You may find you like to do them later, but all you really need after shaving is to rinse, and apply a good aftershave, and that will do for now.

2) Stick with your one setup for as long as you can, until the urge to try something different is totally overwhelming. Ideally a month. When you do try something else, only change one variable at a time.

3) (And this is VERY important). Do not worry about a "BBS" shave. Yes, that is exactly what I said. You will get there, or very close. But the harder you try, the longer and more unpleasant the path will be. For now, your have two goals, in this order: Comfort, and presentability. All you really need from a shave is to look presentable when you go out. This is a long way from a smooth shave. Yes, you want smoother, and you will get there, but be patient. Your main goal now is comfort. If you are getting razor burn, or bumps, back off. Do one less pass. Or don't go against the grain. Or even accross, if that is what it takes. If the only way you can get an irritation free shave is one pass with the grain, then that is ALL you should be doing. Only when you can consistently get a comfortable shave, that is as close as it seems your are going to get with the passes you are doing, should you change anything. Then add another pass, or start doing across or against the grain. Eventually, you will find the ideal number of passes, and directions for your face.

4) Know how your bread grows. It may not be all pointing down. And it almost always does have a direction of growth. So let it grow out a couple of days, and study it in the mirror, and by running your hands over it. This way, you can make sure you are actually going with the grain, when you think you are.

5) Really try not to use too much pressure. You may be annoyed because you feel like the razor is not cutting close enough. The answer is not more pressure. That only leads to burn.

6) Angle. Put the head of the razor against your skin, flat, so that the blade is not touching, with the handle straight out from your face. Lower the angle by bring the handle closer to your face, until the blade just makes contact, then just the tinest bit more. That is your shaving angle. If you do this while moving the razor over your face, you will feel when the blade starts to cut.

Just remember. Keep it simple and consistent, so what you are paying attention to is how you make your lather, and what you do with the razor on your face. You don't want anything else distracting you from paying attention to those things, and seeing what the result of the changes you make in those are.

And be patient. Things WILL click, and you will see your shaves improve. Just enjoy the process of shaving, and don't worry too much about the result. The less you worry about it, and the more you just enjoy the process, the sooner you will get the results you want.

Best of luck. :smile:

-Mo

M

modern man

Dude I thought you were working. :lol:

Excellent post Mo!

I always say use the K.I.S.S. method (keep it simple silly!)

I honed my technique and found what works for me just a month or so ago. I have been wet shaving for over a year and now I am just developing the SCAD,RAD etc.

The point Mo is making is to take is slow it will come and like Scotto says just take a Breath and relax when you get frustrated. Stop the violence people and have FUN!

If you have questions ask. The A-Team is standing by (Medics too).

Sticky that post.

Good advice for any DE shaver, no matter how much experience that they have thus acquired.

-joedy

I would add....

If you are keeping the water running during the shave, to clean your razor - don't.

Primarily, it's expensive. But secondly, in my experience your auditory senses can aid you tremendously. The sound of the razor cutting whiskers off versus scraping them off has a distinctly different sound. If you don't hear anything in a given area, my guess would be you could be over shaving, which could lead to irritation.

Once you've found the correct angle using Mo's method, I would only add as a visual aid, you should be able to see underside of the razor most of the time, throughout the shave. You will know when you've hit the optimal angle for your razor, because (I read) the blade will want to glide down your face.

Like Randy (RTaylor61) said: "Keep your wrists locked". That way, the angle will remain consistent. Consistency here is the key to close and comfortable shaves with a DE razor.

I know that they call you Moses for a reason. This is a tremendous post.
Thanks for your valuable input. It helps many alot.

Jeff

:shaving:

Fantastic post Mo' -- I wish I had the same advise when I was just starting out.

Might I add: We all have trouble spots. The common ones are under/around the chin, jowls, throat, and under the nose. It really sucks when you do your 2-3 passes, rinse, rub your fingers around, and can still feel some rougness around those areas. At this point, resist the temptation to relather and go back over an area multiple times. Plan to use a slightly different angle, or just plan to pay closer attention, but plan to do it the next day. Repeated passes over one area with a technique that might not be fully honed yet are going to end up hurting your face. Sure, you'll probably eventually get the whiskers off, but you run a rather good chance of getting weepers, nicks caused by frustration and loss of concentration, and giving yourself one hell of a case of razor burn. Remember that when your face is warm and wet, the hair sticks out. Once you rinse, do your cold splash, and let your face tighten up, it won't feel as rough. Remember those spots for some special attention the next day, but hacking away repeatedly at frustrating spots will just bring more frustration and irritation.

Mo, just wanted to thank on the words of wisdom. I got quite frustrated last week because of bad shaves and irritation and things that refused to click.

After reading your post and replies to my post I have reevaluated my techniques, stopped worrying about BBS and concentrated on right angles and prep and the results were rewarding.

i think the one thing that has helped the most in enjoying the shave has been the wonderful selection of creams available to us... isn't it great?

Top Bottom