What's new

Blade Talk

I think I'm slowly liking the IP's more and more. At first I thought they caused irritation, but that was probably due more to my technique. I've had an IP my Merkur for the last 2 days, and have been loving it along with Mama Bear's soaps. It seems like the blade pulls a little bit, but I am getting BBS with no irritation by only doing 1 WTG and 2 ATG (E-W & W-E) passes. I took out the S-N due to some irritation with a feather 3 days ago. I might be on to something.

I'm starting to agree on the IP also. I SO wanted to stick with the feather. I'm a huge nut on Japanese culture, and know their reputation with blades. Feather is definitely sharper, and smoother. The IP just seems to give a better shave, and it's nearly impossible for me to get burn with these.

I also have had best luck with mama bear's soap. I think the soap as compared with a cream allows that last lil bit of closeness, and compensates for this blade not being quite as sharp as a feather.

I'm starting to agree on the IP also. I SO wanted to stick with the feather. I'm a huge nut on Japanese culture, and know their reputation with blades. Feather is definitely sharper, and smoother. The IP just seems to give a better shave, and it's nearly impossible for me to get burn with these.

+1, al though I must say that I think I got a closer shave from Feathers, and more irratation, weepers too. With the IP's they don't seem to irratate my trouble spots, (read: sensitive skin areas), as much, and it seems to be more work. :frown:

Duggo

What do you recomeend to buy Derby Blades. Ebay?

Even though Derby's are not for me, between the two options Derby's are much better. I use Israeli Personnas and Swedish Gillettes.

On Ebay look for Dssokhey and Howard1616 for Derby deals. Great sellers fast delivery.

Raf

Since i have a ton of blades right now (around 100 each of Red Personna, Derby, and IP), I figured I would hold off on buying any mroe Merkurs and try to get some time on the Derby.

I'm starting to get the hang of it....it does razor burn me more than my Merkur did when going for BBS (I insist on it every shave), but it's more forgiving as far as facial blemishes and pressure go. Over time though, it has gotten easier to deal with, if it's my face being conditioning itself to the blade, or just improvement in technique I don't know.

I am using a US Personna this week, after several weeks of goung through all the different blades in the sampler pack. I am having a horrible week. :cursing: I cut myself up moderately on shave #3. Last night (#4), I didn't get cut, but I didn't get a close shave, either.

Right now, I doubt that I'll ever use one of these, again. :blink:

Tim

Looking for a good retailer of Feather Blades. Got my Derby's through ebay but don't see Feather on Ebay. Any suggestions.

Thanks-Jeff

Any ideas generally on the length of service for a Derby blade. I know each person is different, just a idea. Thanks

depends on the type (how thick etc) of your facial hair and many more factors. But prolly 3 shaves per blade (as I read somewhere ... try reviews section)

I am using a US Personna this week, after several weeks of goung through all the different blades in the sampler pack. I am having a horrible week. :cursing: I cut myself up moderately on shave #3. Last night (#4), I didn't get cut, but I didn't get a close shave, either.

Right now, I doubt that I'll ever use one of these, again. :blink:

Tim

Oddly, shaves #5 and 6 with that same blade were much better. :confused: #6 was a great shave, comfortable while shaving and a very smooth result.

Tim

Top Bottom