What's new

Yunnan Sourcing pu'er blind tasting notes - Spoilers

Had two samples from the Yunnan Sourcing Mystery Machine tonight with my good buddy. Alpha tasted like a Bulang to me, but a little too weak. First two infusions were decent enough, although simple, but after the third infusion the tea dropped out completely! Hopefully this was a fluke, but otherwise it wasn't that great :frown:. Beta, however, tasted like a Youle to me, and I'm a big fan of Youle teas. This one went on for much much longer than Alpha, and was sweet with a good backbone. I'm interested to try the rest soon.

Yunnan Sourcing "alpha" sample

Nice looking leaves, fair amount of white tips

Aroma:eek:range peel, sour plum, sweet candy

Soup: light yellow, gets a bit more orangey with air (and later infusions), but not super tweaked

Taste: Starts out very light. Milky texture, elegant. Some funk, weird chemical aftertaste, drying, rough on the throat.

Not a big fan of this one, and seems to get worse as you drink it. Reminds me a bit of Hai Lang Hao productions.

I wasn't real impressed with the Alpha sample either. Nice looking leaf that smelled fresh, green and slightly sour. First infusions were good but on the light side. Comfortable amount of bitterness and a slight astringency, slightly under ripe pear and nutty, cashew? I like the over all balance of flavors but it,s lacking any real depth. Brews a beautiful yellow cup with just a tinge of orange, superb clarity. Anxiously awaiting the fourth (or there abouts) infusion to see what develops, but nothing. By the time the leaf is actually opened up, it,s done. Bottoms out way too early. If this tea had more depth and stamina it would be decent. But as it is, I wouldn't buy it. :bored:

Having had my second session with this tea Ive realized it does need a lot of leaf and quick infusions to postpone the crash. I noticed an odd chalky astringency in the aftertaste, I dont like it. Alpha has some good qualitys but they dont out weigh the funky aftertaste. Stickin to my guns, wouldnt buy it. :eek::eek:

Last edited:
Surprise, alpha is actually 6FTM! It was all a cunning plot to get you to drink 6FTM!

OK, it's not.

:ihih:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Surprise, alpha is actually 6FTM! It was all a cunning plot to get you to drink 6FTM!

OK, it's not.

:ihih:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

So is it 6ftm or not? Of late, the 6ftm is producing tons of crappy tea. Have yet to come across a production that is worth buying and keeping or even drinking. :p

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a whopping total of one bing from 6FTM, an '06 75126. Thanks to Hobbes, I'll probably never open it. :crying:

Looks like "alpha" is not getting a ringing endorsement so far. Hopefully I'll have some time to sample "beta" tomorrow.

If my sinuses would ever clear up enough for my palate to recover I'd be right in here with you guys. I may actually stay out of this thread until I've sampled all the teas. I'm hoping to pit my palate against yours and see how we differ.

Actually... anyone else think having a separate thread for this blind tasting might be a good idea? So we don't taint each others' reviews.

If my sinuses would ever clear up enough for my palate to recover I'd be right in here with you guys. I may actually stay out of this thread until I've sampled all the teas. I'm hoping to pit my palate against yours and see how we differ.

Actually... anyone else think having a separate thread for this blind tasting might be a good idea? So we don't taint each others' reviews.

I can split them out, but its Hobbes' call how he wants to do it. He was going to get a page up on his blog as the ultimate repository.

Nah, I didnt fall for it. With all it,s faults it,s still too refined to be from 6FTM. Obviously it,s handmade and not manufactured. Now come on guys, you shouldnt even have to taste it to know that it,s not 6FTM.

I can split them out, but its Hobbes' call how he wants to do it. He was going to get a page up on his blog as the ultimate repository.

Feel free to post wherever you wish - I only ask that you pop them up on the Half-Dipper when I post the article, so that we can discuss them.

For what it's worth, I actually really liked the "alpha"! It benefits from careful brewing, but I enjoyed its buttery sweetness, and it brewed well over 15 strong brews for me.

(Assuming "alpha" is what I think it is! You never know if Scott mixed up the labels!)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Having had a go with Beta today I,m underwhelmed with these teas so far. I actually think Alpha (with it,s faults) is much more interesting. I dont know, maybe it,s my lack of experience with fresh off the vine sheng. Beta has got durability I,ll give it that much. I,m hoping there is at least one of these teas that make me reach for my credit card. :confused1
View attachment 66597

Having had another shot at Beta today my prognosis has changed somewhat. I think I was a little harsh on poor little Beta, she didnt deserve it. The smell of the dry leaf is fresh and green, slightly tart. That tartness also shows up in the cup, green apple acidity. Beta has a light body but there is some viscosity, slightly thicker than water. Brews a crystal clear cup thats "yellow" not orange. The over all profile of this tea is light and clean, slightly floral, meadowy and tart. By Gum, I think I like little old Beta after all. Wu Liang?:001_rolle

Last edited:
Having had a go with Beta today I,m underwhelmed with these teas so far. I actually think Alpha (with it,s faults) is much more interesting. I dont know, maybe it,s my lack of experience with fresh off the vine sheng. Beta has got durability I,ll give it that much. I,m hoping there is at least one of these teas that make me reach for my credit card. :confused1

If "Alpha" is the cake I think it is, I bought two of these cakes and only bought one of each of the others, indicating my preference!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

"beta" sample

Color: More orange than alpha

Aroma: Starts smoky, irony, malty, sweet

Taste: More bitterness than alpha. Full bodied, piercing. Sweetness felt on sides of mouth. Some mintiness. Later infusions are malty and sweet.

This one tastes like a tweaked Xiaguan special to me. Not bad, but not stellar. If this was reasonably priced it might tempt me.

"beta" sample

Color: More orange than alpha

Aroma: Starts smoky, irony, malty, sweet

Taste: More bitterness than alpha. Full bodied, piercing. Sweetness felt on sides of mouth. Some mintiness. Later infusions are malty and sweet.

This one tastes like a tweaked Xiaguan special to me. Not bad, but not stellar. If this was reasonably priced it might tempt me.

I,m beginning to wonder if these samples got mixed up somehow. I had a go with Beta today and there wasnt even the slightest trace of smokiness, and definately no malt. Hmmm, I hope this tasting wasnt botched from the get go. Mine didnt brew orange, it brewed up a very clean light yellow.

Top Bottom