What's new

Wester Bros. De-Fi 34 info?

Just got done restoring one of these and I am interested in finding more info on them. I have read they made them from about 1909-1929. This seems like a later model, based on the plastic handle material; feels like Delrin. I read they used Maganese in the steel for some reason? I did notice that it seems much harder than my other straight razors. I also noticed the "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." on the tang and wonder what's up with that. Is there something special about these models that they patented? As far as I know about manganese's role in cutlery metallurgy, it can help grain structure and hardenability, but I am guessing with the patent mention that its more akin to some kind of gimmick like "magnetic" steels.

Attachments

• PXL_20230902_092628383.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20230902_092628383.NIGHT.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: Wid
A lot of etchings, like 'Fine India Steel', "Silver Steel", etc, were just marketing ploys.
Manganese is a very common/typical alloy in steel. A few brands used similar etchings.

After owning a few of these 34s, I can say that they were no different than any other Wester blades - all were excellent good quality shavers.

The De-Fi trademark meant something to someone in Germany where the razor was made, there is a "Little De-Fi" also. There are Wester & Butz and Wester & Stone razors with De-Fi on the tang too. I sorta remember a post or thread about it but do not recall the particulars or which platform.

Top Bottom