What's new

your largest soap container?

THIS is what I'm thinking....

Shave Rack.jpg

How about a couple of drawers for holding spare blades?

Suggest that your plan for holding brushes could be more flexible to accommodate the different sizes. Perhaps something like a modular holder that can slide on a French cleat system on the back panel.

View attachment 1190658

thanks for the suggestions. jeep ‘em coming...

was thinking I would just set blade packs on the surface below the hanging razors, but a few shallow drawers would definitely be classier.

maybe I will...

revised to include shallow drawers for blade packs, and other small bits like styptic pencil, etc.
Had to decrease overall width by 2" so it would fit atop my dresser.
Also added some height to the brush/razor hanging storage, to accommodate a bit longer brushes, just in case
Overall dimensions: 32"wide x 22"high x 5-1/2"deep

Shave Stand w Drawers.jpg

can anyone list a Height x Diameter for a DR Harris wooden bowl?
They look pretty big, and Windsor is on my wish list...

Purchased some hardwoods this past weekend, and ready to get busy!

The soap puck is not a cylindrical shape, it is rounded on the bottom.

Wooden bowl approximate interior dimensions: max diameter: ~80mm; depth: ~25mm.

Wooden bowl approximate exterior dimensions: diameter: ~100mm; depth: ~50mm

1609292492215.png

A couple of badly lit photos attached. Most of the wooden bowls I have are approximately 4" in diameter. The DR Harris is a touch less, while the C&E looks to be exactly 4". Some soap/croaps are in tall containers to ease loading, the one I have is about 3.25" tall.
I am only guessing but this long rifle soap container might be about the same dimensions as what is in the attached photo:

CE-DR-Harris-1.jpgCE-DR-Harris-2.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is a VERY personal question, but I do believe that @martym just MIGHT have soap buried in several freezers on his property....

If you are also considering lathering bowls, then definitely consider the size of Pereira Shaving Bowl.
I just got my bowl and it is pleasantly and un-apologetically beautiful and big.

It goes at 7" widest (with handle), 5 and 4/8" diameter and just shy of 2 and
IMG_20210101_110803.jpg
IMG_20210101_110457.jpg
4/8" height.

thanks all for the continued input! The project is officially underway...

I decided to vary the heights of the 3 levels of shelf for soaps/creams: 3”, 2-1/2”, and 2”. All are 9-3/4” wide which should accomodate two large soap containers (like Officina Artigiana) or three smaller ones (like Fine Accoutrements, Cella cream, etc)

I plan to keep other items not pictured in my renderings, like lather bowl, brush soaker mug, Styptic pencil/alum block, etc in my bathroom medicine cabinet. FYI...

Sounds good. The biggest design point which gives me pause is the hangers for the brushes and DE razors. That is certainly a matter of personal preference, so your opinion is much more important than mine. That said, I might skip the brush drip-stand hanger which would allow more brushes to fit into the same area without worries of knot size. Most brushes will stand up, except for a few that must be intended only for shave mug/bowl lathering. A fewer number of DE razors will fit laying horizontally, but a few shallow shelves could also handle that. That would avoid concerns about variations in handle/neck sizes. And would accommodate some western straight razors (shavettes) if you ever got into those.

Though if I take your perspective drawing to scale it could accommodate both aspects at the same time, meaning you have a way to hang some razors and brushes, while standing others up underneath. So your design has some flexibility. :thumbup1:

finished!

fun project to pick-away at over the winter.

Pretty much identical to my earlier design renderings.

One new feature is the “patchwork” of shaving kit labels on the backing board. Im going for that “early-1900s trans-Atlantic steamer trunk” look. Not enough labels to conplete the lower backing board, so Ill wait until I accumulate a few more orders (black friday, probably) to finish the patchwork there.

another “feature” is that I lined the insides of the slots for hanging brushes/razors with 1/16” thick musician’s grade sheet-cork. For a little softness against these items.

Thanks to all for the design input - especially the addition of the drawers. That was a good call.

26CB4DD3-65BA-4915-919E-035CB2E481E2.jpeg

0DF7C997-4028-4B02-9839-C7168EEA1F6A.jpeg

73ADE3B4-4AEA-4DAE-8130-26913A1E119C.jpeg

C9F10DF3-D17B-4D24-B60C-5E38F80AEEBD.jpeg

Last edited:
had some leftover oak material, so I made a “shave tote”, to port my daily kit to the bathroom from my rack in the bedroom.

Lined the inside and outside of the base with 1/16” rubber sheet - so items in the tote wont slide around, and the tote itself will sit securely on a porcelain bathroom surface.

Handle is a cut-down part from Home Depot, drilled and epoxied into the base.

3F2A71B0-15CD-4E01-8B58-802C359A3141.jpeg

Top Bottom