What's new

your largest soap container?

Hello.

I'm making a custom wood "rack" for all of my shaving items.
I want the design to be flexible enough to accommodate storage of just about any typical manufacturer-issued soap container.
(among other items like tube creams, aftershaves, razors, brushes, etc.)

I'm mostly a cream user at this point, with only a few Fine hard sops in my current collection. (but that may change, who knows?)

Would a few of you reply with diameter and height of the largest you own? (and list brand)
The "classics" seem to appear the largest in pictures when I browse vendors online (Tabac, Cella, Proraso, etc) but I'm not sure.

I was thinking a modular of 5" by 2" high would be plenty, but want to be sure.
And if I can go smaller, that would be a plus.

Thank you.

Razorock glass jar soaps such as Santa Maria del Fiore need approx 2.25" height, 2.5" with clearance.
Old style Proraso jars also need approx 2.25" height, 2.5" with clearance.
Metal soap tins from the Container Store require approx 4.0" diameter with clearance.

My largest is 4" wide by 2" tall. I purchased a few of them from Wholesale Supplies Plus to house the block of Cella my brothers and I purchase.

Of the commercial soaps, the largest is from Chisled Face. The GhostTown Barber (Silk base) tub is 4" wide and 1.75" tall.

the really nice boellis panama soap comes 250g in a 5.5" in dia ceramic dish.
great italian soap!

boellis panama 1924-0820s.jpg

I just received two Officina Artigiana soaps (more like croaps though). I guess one is their "original" or default scent, and the other is "stay." Wow are they fantastic, both performance and scent. The Stay in particular has the best citrus scent I've come across. Amazing stuff.

They come in glass jars significantly bigger than any other brand I've tried. Overall width of the jar is 11.2cm and depth is 5cm. I need wider shelves! If my new infatuation with these soaps grows, I may need to remodel my bathroom around their containers!

Officina Artigiana Milano

4 3/8” diameter ,2” in height.
By far the largest soap container of my den !
Second best soap in ranking ,
right after my Saponificio Varesino soaps.

It was a post from @SCh5 that turned me on to this brand. Thank you! But it's so good that I think it mandates all shave dens from this point forward having shelves at least 4.5" deep. You will be doing yourself a huge disservice if you can't shelve this soap! Note that if it were to fall off a narrow shelf, it could easily take out a toe--it's some serious glass. Of course the greater tragedy would be the contents getting contaminated with shards, but it's so good I'd probably shave with it anyway.

@JackJ
Glad that another wet shaving fellow thinks it’s a great soap
(somehow still remaining “under the radar” ,thus still having a rather great price ) !

Yes ,it’s some serious glass container.Quite thick and heavy
glass jar.And large enough so
the soap can be loaded with ease .
But gives me trouble
when it comes to storing it...
or better yet “them”!
See,I’ ve three more on stock and they have occupied
a great deal of valuable “available shaving gear space”.

BTW, the “original” is actually called “oli del benessere” ,
which translates to
“wellness oils”.
The other one ,
the one with the ethereal
citrous scent is called
“stay traditional” .

@SCh5: Thanks for the clarification on the two versions. The labels are laid out a little differently so I wasn't sure if "oli del benessere" was the version name or just a description of the contents. That one is a really interesting scent. "Horse leather" is what comes to mind first, though if it had been described that way I probably would have passed on it. So maybe: "Really good smelling horse leather." It's complex, earthy, maybe even a little somber. I like it a lot. And the other version, "Stay Traditional," is out of this world. Mostly grapefruit, but unlike the TOBS Grapefruit (which I really like), there's a lot more nuance. I'm a citrus freak, but most shave citruses I've tried are too sweet or too "cleaning product" scented. This one is sublime. As soon as I'm home this evening I'm going to bury my nose in it. And order the aftershave.

I couldn't find a stateside supplier of these so ordered from Top of the Chain in Canada. They appear to be significantly less expensive in Europe, not surprisingly, but since I've been waiting over a month for an order from Spain, I thought it best to stay with my native continent for this purchase.

Apologies for the thread drift. To get back on track: Everyone needs shelves at least 4.5" wide!

The largest soap containers I have in the den are:

Tiki Kilted Tiki
Soap Commander
Grandstaff
Old HTGAM metal tins
Soap Smooth War Blend

The last 3 all come in those HTGAM wide metal tins that can hold about 10oz of soap. The old Kilted Tiki comes with 250g of soap and is a tall container. Sorry I do not know the dimensions as they all have soap in them.

The "classics" seem to appear the largest in pictures when I browse vendors online (Tabac, Cella, Proraso, etc) but I'm not sure.

I was thinking a modular of 5" by 2" high would be plenty, but want to be sure.
And if I can go smaller, that would be a plus.
5" wide seems reasonable, but 2" high is inadequate. You should go for at least 3" because some of the classic soaps that you mentioned won't fit.

For example, the Proraso tubs are 2.375" (two and three-eighths inches) high. The original Omega UFO tub is also about 2.25" high. The Tabac ceramic jar is the tallest in my rotation at 2.67" (two and eleven-sixteenths inches) high:

proxy.php

Tabac for thickness (exact same as above post) then Stirling for length (don’t have a tape on me atm moving stuff around but it’s a big tub of soap)

5" wide seems reasonable, but 2" high is inadequate. You should go for at least 3" because some of the classic soaps that you mentioned won't fit.

For example, the Proraso tubs are 2.375" (two and three-eighths inches) high. The original Omega UFO tub is also about 2.25" high. The Tabac ceramic jar is the tallest in my rotation at 2.67" (two and eleven-sixteenths inches) high:

Thanks!

This is exactly the info I was looking for.

As it turns out, after seeing what materials are available at my Home Depot/Lumber Yard,
my shelves for soap will be 5-1/2" deep x 2-1/2" high. (to work with available modular, without having to rip a length (no table saw....))

And Tabac will have to sit somewhere else if I happen to ever buy a tub. :-/

Top Bottom