What's new

Your go to neck tie knot

What is your go to neck tie knot?

• Windsor

• Half-Windsor

• Small Knot (also known as the Shelby?)

• Four-in-hand

• Prince Albert

• I rock the bow tie!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just curious as to who uses which knot. I used to use the Shelby most often, and perhaps this is also known as the Small knot, but I'm not entirely certain on that one. But, these days I've switched over to the half-windsor. How about the rest of B&B? *Edit* As pointed out below, this depends on the tie material and occasion. But, which are you most comfortable with and most confident in?

I usually do the Shelby - ties a really nice knot. Never heard it called the "small" knot before. And it's not exactly small.... I have heard it called the Pratt.

-Mo

I haven't tied a shelby since graduating college, when I then switched to the half-windsor. When I switched again to heavy silk two-color rep ties I went with a four-in-hand. Today it's either four-in-hand or half-windsor depending on the heft of the tie.

Unless it's a bow tie. Then I just tie the sucker.

I usually do the Shelby - ties a really nice knot. Never heard it called the "small" knot before. And it's not exactly small.... I have heard it called the Pratt.

-Mo

I've always heard it referenced as the Shelby as well, but a few days ago i was perusing the Brooks Brothers site and they have a knot called the "Small Knot." On their site the Small doesn't start with the seam out, but the wide end is twisted so that the seam does show.

It depends on the tie. Despite all but a few being silk, they are all different in material, and dimmensions. So what ever not uses up the right amount of the tie for correct exposure and looks right. I dont know a prince albert or a shelby.

I would love to go full windser all the time but the fact of the matter is most ties arnt long enough for me to do so, the half windser is a little better but not much sooo I am regulated to the Four in Hand, the knot I learned when I was 8....

I would love to go full windser all the time but the fact of the matter is most ties arnt long enough for me to do so, the half windser is a little better but not much sooo I am regulated to the Four in Hand, the knot I learned when I was 8....

Try the Shelby - Depends a little on the particular tie, but generally it will tie a really nice triangular knot without using up too much material.

-Mo

I've used the same knot my whole life. I don't know what it's called. I was never taught anything different.

:huh:

edit: I use 4-in-hand.

It's what muh daddy taught me..

If it's a thinner tie I'll go for the half or full windsor but most of time it's a four in hand. Most of my ties come from Jos A Banks or Brooks Brothers and are a little too thick for a windsor.

I always do full-windsor, but I just looked up what the Shelby looks like, and I'm going to have to try that. Looks tighter and neater than a full-windsor.

Just tried it. This is the way my dad taught me to tie a tie. Except it was different, because he never had it go around the neck with the label side facing out.

Anyway, mine looks like garbage. I don't know how it can look symmetrical when it's not built that way...

EDIT: I got mine looking good now.

EDIT II: I got mine looking really good now and will sport this the next time I have to wear a tie.

I have been a trial lawyer (commercial litigation, not personal injury) for nearly 20 years, and I haven't a clue what knot I use. My usual knot may be the 4inhand or the half-w (which I thought were the same thing). But, I always have a dimple in the tie just below the knot.

Top Bottom