What's new

Your favourite 5 rock albums?

The trouble with this type of thread is you say "these are my top 5", then check back a couple of days later and someone has put XYZ album by ABC band and you go "duh, how did I miss that one??"
I don’t know if that’s a bother for me. Kinda fun actually.
im sure I’ll think “damn what didn’t I think of that” but I’ll be ok in the end.

90's? Go to your room!

I am truly ashamed to admit this, but I do not believe I have heard any music from the groups you listed.

Hughie Lewis and the News was probably the last group I bought an album of.

Nope, U2 was, the one that had "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" on it. That was the last music I paid for, I'm nearly certain.

No problem, i'll hook you up easy. I'll make an easy to access list (just click the song names) of great songs by all of the artists bassplayer7770 said: posted. Grab a drink and please take the easy 30 minutes to listen to a great song by each of those artists that I've chosen (may or may not be on the specific album he posted but these are songs I love).

Stone Temple Pilots: Big Empty (one of their most famous songs, but was not widely promoted)
Pearl Jam: Black ("I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky, but why, why, why can't it be, can't it be mine") OMG!!!
Soundgarden: Fell On Black Days (about Chris Cornell's teenage depression; he committed suicide in 2017, aged 52 😢)
BONUS: Chris Cornell (because he was AWESOME) from Soundgarden: Long Gone
DOUBLE BONUS: Audioslave: Like a Stone (How can Chris Cornell be so epic?)
Live: Run to the Water (a very spiritual song; 20 years old as of YESTERDAY)
Weezer: Say It Ain't So (a lot more depth to this song then you'd imagine)

Last edited:
No problem, i'll hook you up easy. I'll make an easy to access list (just click the song names) of great songs by all of the artists bassplayer7770 said: posted. Grab a drink and please take the easy 30 minutes to listen to a great song by each of those artists that I've chosen (may or may not be on the specific album he posted but these are songs I love).

Stone Temple Pilots: Big Empty (one of their most famous songs, but was not widely promoted)
Pearl Jam: Black ("I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky, but why, why, why can't it be, can't it be mine") OMG!!!
Soundgarden: Fell On Black Days (about Chris Cornell's teenage depression; he committed suicide in 2017, aged 52 😢)
BONUS: Chris Cornell (because he was AWESOME) from Soundgarden: Long Gone
Live: Run to the Water (a very spiritual song; 20 years old as of YESTERDAY)
Weezer: Say It Ain't So (a lot more depth to this song then you'd imagine)

Excellent, thanks for doing that! Also, great song selections!

I only ever knew if from the CD, not the LP ... but it turns out it's most of the B-side that I really like.

Yes, the whole B side, starting with Here Comes the Sun. Does not get better than that!

I forget whether I left off The Doors. It meant a lot to me. I have come back to it frequently. I could listen it it now.

1. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Trilogy"
2. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Tarkus"
3. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - self-titled
4. King Crimson - "Starless & Bible Black"
5. King Crimson - "In the Court of the Crimson King"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The trouble with this type of thread is you say "these are my top 5", then check back a couple of days later and someone has put XYZ album by ABC band and you go "duh, how did I miss that one??"

Yup. For me the quandary is RUSH. I love RUSH. There is not one album of theirs that I would say, "turn that crap off". That said, and as much of a genius I think Peart is as both a percussionist and lyricist, they were never one of my "favourite" bands. And that is why they do not make my list while Queensryche (which has at least one LP that should be incinerated rather than listened to) makes it on.

Bat Out Of Hell and Pet Sounds are fantastic albums!

Rubber Soul and Revolver blend so nicely together. It was a fantastic time in Beatles history.

I think we have slipped away from the OP's instruction: <however only one caveat : Don’t repeat the same artist> But that is okay with me.

The picks continue to be interesting. I expected Pet Sounds to come up sooner. I personally like many of the cuts on PS, and I have tried, but I just do not love a fair amount of that album. It is probably my own failing.

Audioslave is an interesting pick. Weezer, too.

I would have trouble putting Rubber Soul or Revolver ahead of one another.

My favorite Beatles album in 2020 sitting here is clearly Abby Road. Not sure how I arrived there. I suppose the more I have read about the making of the White Album, the less I like it, except for Guitar Gently Weeps. Perhaps, the less fond I am of it, would be a better way to say it. I think I could live out my life never hearing Sargent Pepper again, except for "A Day in the Life." The drumming on that cut is just too good. I do find the fairly recent remixes of various Beatles albums to be of some interest in that the bass is much clearer, and that bass is innovative and excellent. Although, I get George Harrison's quote that he would have preferred a bassist who was more "in the pocket."

I thought Doc4's choice of Help as a fav was astute. The album just before RS. It is interesting to look back at the order of the Beatles album releases. Magical Mystery Tour came between Sgt. P and the White Album. Yellow Submarine came between the White Album and Abby Road. You did have RS, Revolver, and SP all in a row, at the least the Brit albums. But not everything the Beatles did at their peak was all that good.

Compare the Stones, Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, [I would put Get Your Ya Yas Out here, too], Sticky Fingers, Exile. Some might argue Goat's Head, but I would not. The Who: Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia.

In a way those sets of albums: Beatles (RS, Revolver, SP), Stones (as listed), and The Who each form a whole. I could put all three taken as a set in my top five. Dylan Bringing It All, Highway 61, and Blonde on Blonde would work for me, too.

Last edited:
I think we have slipped away from the OP's instruction: <however only one caveat : Don’t repeat the same artist> But that is okay with me.

The picks continue to be interesting. I expected Pet Sounds to come up sooner. I personally like many of the cuts on PS, and I have tried, but I just do not love a fair amount of that album. It is probably my own failing.

Audioslave is an interesting pick.

I would have trouble putting Rubber Soul or Revolver ahead of one another.
I’ve always considered Rubber Soul to be the best they put together. I’m not gonna argue that point. To each their own.

I’ve always considered Rubber Soul to be the best they put together. I’m not gonna argue that point. To each their own.
There have definitely been times I would have said that myself. I am not going to argue either. I guess what sways me away from Rubber Soul now is there are enough cuts that i do not or no longer love. :)

Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt
You - Gong
Lick My Decals Off, Baby - Captain. Beefheart and His Magic Band
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Revolver/Rubber Soul - The Beatles
In A Glass House - Gentle Giant

6 or 7 listed I grant you, but this is what I am now listening to as I quarantine in place. Of course, there are easily another 100 albums making up my top 5.

I am sure folks are tired of hearing from me, and I will try to refrain after this. Not so much as time on my hands as procrastination, methinks!

I thought of Hotel California right away myself, but then had a look at the cut list. I then thought Desperado, but looked at that cut list, too. Better I think, but still not quite there for an actual fav top 5, at least for me. I do like both albums a whole lot. YMMV. I think there is a reason why Eagles Greatest Hits is one of the very best selling albums of all kind.

Ah, Beefheart that is not Troutface Replica. Cool!

As the decades have passed it gets harder to limit to 5. I could easily list 50 that really move me or take me back to a time or place that was special. Anyway, here are 5 that I still listen to regularly and smile every time I do. In no particular order:

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd simply a classic
REO Speedwagon - You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish just a really good rock album
Boston - Boston never heard anything like it before. still rocks first cd i ever bought just to hear it perfectly
One more from the road - Lynyrd Skynyrd an awesome southern rock band at their peak live
Live Bullet - Bob Seger a raspy rock voice unlike any other live in his prime

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
These things occur to me bit by bit.

One album I'll certainly include on MY list ... personal preference of course ... is "It Ain't Easy" by Long John Baldry.

Rubber Soul and Revolver blend so nicely together. It was a fantastic time in Beatles history.
They would have made a great double album.
Revolver/Rubber Soul - The Beatles

Looks like someone agrees!

I thought Doc4's choice of Help as a fav was astute. The album just before RS. It is interesting to look back at the order of the Beatles album releases.

I think the early Beatles albums were "of a type", and generally improved leading up to Help! Then things changed for them artistically in the "RSR period" (Rubber Soul Revolver). Then changed again in the latter period of Sgt. Pepper &c. By the time they got to Help!, they were about ready for the evolution, but gave us their last-and-best "early-style" album.

Top Bottom