What's new

Your favorite unaged tobaccos.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm sitting on quite a few tins and blends that are still pretty fresh and I haven't tried yet. I was wondering, what are some of your favorite tobaccos to smoke without any cellaring or aging?

Arango Balkan Supreme, Any Peter Stokkybe blend, Rattray's 7 Reserve are a few of my go-to baccys. VAs and VA Pers benefit the most from aging. English blends not so much. The only tobaccos that are reserved for aging (meaning I don't smoke them now) are VAs and VA Pers. All others could get smoked any time. YMMV

.... The only tobaccos that are reserved for aging (meaning I don't smoke them now) are VAs and VA Pers. All others could get smoked any time. YMMV

This is essentially my take on it. I do however have some Squadron Leader that I'm aging as I my gut says that will become fantastic with some age on it. I'd like to try some 5 yr Nightcap vs some fresh as I think from the sampling that I had that there may be a component in Nightcap that may get better with age, but I digress...

My simple rule:
Virginia heavy blends = better with age. All else = anytime is a good time.

Most of my stash is VA-centric (including VA-Pers & VA-Burs), so my practice has been to pull from the front, but keep loading up behind it to build up. A couple of my favorites (Escudo, FVF) were just meh until they had some age on them.

As has been mentioned already, latakia blends don't seem to have as large of a transformation, but I find they do tend to get smoother. Some prefer the "sharpness" of the fresh stuff, though, so you might want to do some personal experimentation here.

Finally, most aromatics are as good as they will ever be when fresh. I don't really have much in the way of aros, but something like FM Cellar is great as soon as you get it. I find Lakelands to be an exception here, as a few months tends to knock down the "Lakelandiness" - personal preference, but I find it an improvement, notably for Bob's Chocolate Flake.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Hal O The Wynd, Orlik Golden Sliced, and Vamborger Veermaster all have a great fresh cut hay taste when fresh that mellows significantly when they're allowed to rest. Smoke them slow and enjoy the contrast between the aged versions.

Hal O The Wynd, Orlik Golden Sliced, and Vamborger Veermaster all have a great fresh cut hay taste when fresh that mellows significantly when they're allowed to rest. Smoke them slow and enjoy the contrast between the aged versions.
Interesting...I was pretty put off by the "hay" taste, especially in HV, but I like it now that it's died down.

YMMV, I suppose.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I also like the grassy/hay notes in VA when they're fresh, but only if they're not too sharp. Fresh (or aged) I enjoy Orlik GS, Peter Stokkebye LNF, LTF, and LBF, and Samuel Gawith Scottish Autumn. I also agree with Price that aros are best enjoyed fresh.

To be honest, none! I am still working thru a couple pounds of tobacco from the 40's. Nothing compares to that. Once I finish that, i will start on my tins from the early 80's (about 200 of them).
A few years ago a buddy and I bought the pipe tobacco contents of a couple old tobacco stores that went to auction when the owner passed on.

To be honest, none! I am still working thru a couple pounds of tobacco from the 40's. Nothing compares to that. Once I finish that, i will start on my tins from the early 80's (about 200 of them).
A few years ago a buddy and I bought the pipe tobacco contents of a couple old tobacco stores that went to auction when the owner passed on.
:a47::a47::a47::a47::a47:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks, for the suggestions, so far, everyone! From the sound of things, I should start digging into some of my English and Cavendish blends once I knock back some of the tobaccos that I currently have open.

I've seen some of your stash. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/368824-Show-us-Your-Tobacco-Stash-and-Smoking-Rooms :thumbup: It's very impressive.

Top Bottom