What's new

Your favorite part of the shaving process?

Your favorite part of the shaving process?

• Choosing hardware/software for the day

• Prep

• Lathering

• 1st Pass

• 2nd Pass

• 3rd Pass

• Final Pass

• Rinse

• Aftershave

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hello Gents!

I just got to wondering this morning, which part of the shaving process do you enjoy most?

Feel free to post replies explaining why you enjoy your chosen response!

Newbie in training,

Interesting poll. I've never seen one like this before. I voted for the first pass. That first feeling of the razor taking off the stubble is really nice.

Another vote for the lathering. I simply enjoy using the mug & brush or bowl....and it feels good on the face.

Lathering and aftershave. I love the smell and the feelings of the products going on.

Shaving w/ my DE is a darn site better than it was with my cartridges, but still not as nice as those two.

I can see how, once mastered, lathering would be a very enjoyable task - favorite scent, worked into a rich creamy lather, warm and comforting on the beard... BUT, since I'm still working the kinks out of my brush and lather technique , I will have to put final pass & aftershave as my votes.

I like making one last "comfort pass," as another B&B member put it, usually WTG and likely doesn't catch too much hair, but is nice and smooth and seems to just complete the razor work well.

But above that, I really enjoy the splash of cool and invigorating aftershave, feeling my now smooth, soft face - PLUS the great fragrance that goes with it (Proraso for me for now, until I lay my hands on some Alt Innsbruck, since I'm told it follows well on Tabac).

I voted for aftershave, but by that I mean everything after the shave, including the rinse.

Funny how so far the actual act of shaving (the passes) isn't getting many votes. Granted, only 12 votes at this point.

- Mark

First pass for me. Smelling the lather and hearing the blade cut all of my hairs on the first pass is cool. That's why i loved barber shaves, hearing the noise your hair makes when it is being cut.

I like the lathering process with the brush and the fragrance of the chosen soap or cream that eminates from the warm lather.

Clayton

Aftershave since you get to experience and enjoy the final result. A close second is lathering, I have come to enjoy that. Lathering almost feel like art as you paint your face.

Lathering, but only building it on my face. If I used a bowl, the first pass would be my favorite. The favorite part has to involve my face somehow.

Hmmm, I like it all, but went with first pass. It is usually the most comfortable part of my shave and where I get visible results. Aftershave comes in a close second. I like the burn then warmth (or cooling if doing menthol that day) that hangs around for a bit. Least favorite is picking my kit - decisions, decisions!

Actually none of the above. Its when I rub my hands over my face to judge the quality of the shave after the final rinse. But if I had to choose from your list, then the final pass, that re-affirms my faith in my awesome shaving skills :)

I selected "first pass", but since I only do the one NaturalPass(tm) maybe I should have used "final pass". Actually, my favorite part is the results.

This is a tough one. Lathering, 1st pass, and aftershave are all pretty close. Went with lathering, though...guess it edges out the other two by a...hair.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Splashing on the Ogalalla. It is the crowning act, the grand finale. I feel the smooth skin under my hands. I feel the faint burn and brisk cooling on my face, inhale the classic aroma, and all is satisfactory in my world. Next, dry my razor and give it a half dozen on the balsa and the Big Daddy, and put it away. As I do all that, I guess I slowly drift back into the here and now of the real world. The shave itself is sort of an escape.

Next to the aftershave splash, I would say the second best part is the first stroke of the razor. That's when I know I am or am not going to get a fine shave. That's when the zen thing really starts. That's the doorway into shavezone. That other parallel universe where concentration does more than raw effort, where muscle memory accomplishes things that reason cannot. The first stroke is the reaffirmation of faith in the method. Its success is the immediate gratification for the meticulous preparation of face and blade. It reminds me why I do it, not in words or conscious thought, but in a deeper message that can't be put to paper or voice.

I also kinda like making clown faces in my lather. That's fun, too.

Top Bottom