What's new

Your favorite birth year movie

Shane - a classic Western starring our very own @Alum Ladd!

Oooops. My bad. It was Alan Ladd. :laugh:
But a great film about a weary gunfighter.
Absolutely agree.

Shane is maybe my favourite western. It's got everything.

You get the sense of an elite small group of gunfighters. Shane seems to know Wilson. The emotional toll that killing takes on at least some of them. Hollowed out men.

It seems to be hinting at a kind of what we now call PTSD. Maybe WW2 vets in the audience picked up on that.

Absolutely agree.

Shane is maybe my favourite western. It's got everything.

You get the sense of an elite small group of gunfighters. Shane seems to know Wilson. The emotional toll that killing takes on at least some of them. Hollowed out men.

It seems to be hinting at a kind of what we now call PTSD. Maybe WW2 vets in the audience picked up on that.
Such a great point. I'd never thought of it that way but I'll bet you're right.

Watch "Dark Passage" with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, then "Buck Privates Come Home" with Abbott and Costello.
I like them both, but for sure, if you don't like one, you'll like the other!

I seldom do movies, use to love original our gang, Bud Abbot n Lou Costello, Keystone cops, and some 1950’s shows on tv.

TCM has Classic but never paid much to year they are made.

IMG_3384.jpeg

1973 for me.

We used to rent Walking Tall on VHS and watch him kick butt with his 2x4.

"Enter the Dragon' I watched at a drive in double feature, years after it was released obviously, with "Firefox" starring Clint Eastwood as the main show. I guess I would have been 9-10. Kind of young to watch them, but my folks must have been okay with it as we were probably all there in the old blue Datsun.

My first Clint move as well as my first Bruce Lee or King Fu movies. Many, many more followed over the course of the 80s.

1700880614860.png

1700880650920.png

I had no idea which movies were released in my birth year, which was 1965. Looking at the list I have heard of some and read the novel that others were based on, but have seen very few, including some that were probably good. Annette Funicello was busy that year!

Of those I actually saw:

I hated Juliet of the Spirits (especially the stupid hat she wore, and watching her walk up stairs, and all of the music).
Beach Blanket bingo (starring Annette Funicello and also featuring, as I recall, Gilligan) was stupid.
The Sound of Music is okay, just not my thing.
For a Few Dollars More was good as a spaghetti western.

My favourite was That Darn Cat. Excellent movie.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I'll have to say "The Matix", bonus points as it was an Australian co-production.

proxy.php

Honorourable mentions to:
-The Iron Giant (a great movie)
-The Mummy
-Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace

Top Bottom